What do you think is the one most important factor in making a great movie?

The desire of the producers, director, et. al. to create a story that is entertaining and/or cpmpelling.

Take your social messaging and moral preening and stuff them.
I don't think there is one most important factor. There probably was in the distance past when a movie was made with 5 or 10 actors, a 5 man shooting crew, and $10,000. Today when cost runs 10 to 200 million and hundreds of people are working on the movie, planning and coordination are critical.

The key factors that make a movie “good” are when the acting, directing, writing, cinematography, and overall production value all come together to tell one cohesive, entertaining, and impactful story. In essence, a good movie uses all these tools of filmmaking to tell a compelling story that makes you feel. Like any major project, management is the key. In a movie it's the producer and director.

Did I say a huge amount? Nope, just said Money.

You proved my point. You need money to make a movie.
Of course you do. About 10 million is the low end today. However, once in a long while some film appears made by a handful of amateurs and out of work pros for thousands not millions of dollars and it hits the big time. For example:
The Blair Witch Project cost $60,000, made 140 million and won numerous awards

Carnival of Souls is also an excellent example. It cost $35,000 to make and has become a cult classic with CD sales over million dollars.

I don't think there is one most important factor. There probably was in the distance past when a movie was made with 5 or 10 actors, a 5 man shooting crew, and $10,000. Today when cost runs 10 to 200 million and hundreds of people are working on the movie, planning and coordination are critical.

The key factors that make a movie “good” are when the acting, directing, writing, cinematography, and overall production value all come together to tell one cohesive, entertaining, and impactful story. In essence, a good movie uses all these tools of filmmaking to tell a compelling story that makes you feel. Like any major project, management is the key. In a movie it's the producer and director.
"Rocky" spent next to no money and didn't have the usual entourage of hangers-on....It made a zillion dollars and everyone liked it.

"Rocky" spent next to no money and didn't have the usual entourage of hangers-on....It made a zillion dollars and everyone liked it.
Which is why he's worth nearly half billion dollars today. The million dollars invested in Rocky has earned 217 million at the box office over billion dollars in todays dollars.

Star Power, direction, script, cast, ect?
A combination of things. Story and actors that can portray their parts well is a good start. Budget isnt everything but most definitely helps. All the great movies take hundreds of skilled professionals to make it all work.

Uniqueness, maturity and creativity

(for example, NOT just using CGI which ends up looking mass produced and tacky)
(NOT actors who we just saw in another movie last year)
(NOT making too many references to pop culture in the movie)
(NOT using a Hip Hop soundtrack...which ends up sounding mass produced and tacky)
(NOT making every movie seem like it's a new take on a teenage-level Marvel comic superhero storyline)

I could go on and on...

Some really good thoughts already.

A good movie takes you out of the moment and gets you invested in the journey or outcome.

So then the only way you can do that is with a good story to tell. Script.

Some really good thoughts already.

A good movie takes you out of the moment and gets you invested in the journey or outcome.

So then the only way you can do that is with a good story to tell. Script.
I agree but I would add one very important ingredient and that is character development. In order for an audience to become invested in the journey the characters are making, the audience has to be invested in the characters making that journey. The audience needs to feel the pain, joy, fear, and relief that the characters feel or should feel and understand their motives. Ever scene in a movie has a purpose which fits into the story being told. It's the actor's job assisted by director to play the scene in such a way that audience become a part of the journey you spoke of.

Directors will typically meet with the cast to go over each scene explaining the purpose of the scene. Some directors guide each actor through the part to make sure it is played just as he sees it. Other directors will give the actors a lot of freedom to interpret the role, doing retakes when they get off track. Regardless of how he directs, the director is responsive for what happens between the action and the cut. If the movie wins awards, he will accept them. If the movie is a flop, then it will be his failure that he will have to live with and be judge by.

Last edited:
Same with “ The Postman”
I think it was really a crappy movie. The director, Costner did seen know where he wanted to go with the movie and Costner the actor followed his lead to produce probably the worst movie of either of their careers.

As reviewer, Paul Tatara said, "It's about as inspiring as a movie about a vengeful meter reader."

I think it was really a crappy movie. The director, Costner did seen know where he wanted to go with the movie and Costner the actor followed his lead to produce probably the worst movie of either of their careers.

As reviewer, Paul Tatara said, "It's about as inspiring as a movie about a vengeful meter reader."
I think the Post Apo vision of America is far more “ The Postman “ and a lot less “ The Road “

Coppola and Puzo went through over 30 rewrites of The Godfather script
30 rewrites is a lot. Today, a screenplay that the writer submits for consideration if accepted will just be considered a rough draft. Directors change the scripts at will. Often while shooting a scene, the director will hear the lines from an actor and make changes on the fly. A script that works for Costner might well be a disaster for De Niro. This is why you see so many movie credits list the director as the screenwriter or a co-writer.

However, complete rewrites are not that common because it usually means a significant change in the storyline. Major investors may not be willing to back the production if the storyline changes.

Last edited:
30 rewrites is a lot. Today, a screenplay that the writer submits for consideration if accepted will just be considered a rough draft. Directors change the scripts at will. Often while shooting a scene, the director will hear the lines from an actor and make changes on the fly. A script that works for Costner might well be a disaster for De Niro. This is why you see so many movie credits list the director as the screenwriter or a co-writer.

However, complete rewrites are not that common because it usually means a significant change in the storyline. Major investors may not be willing to back the production if the storyline changes.

Coppola said they rushed the Godfather III, they didn't allow him the time he wanted to rework the story and the end product shows it

Take your social messaging and moral preening and stuff them.
I made the mistake of watching "Promising Young Woman" and it might as well have been entitled "All men are Rapists" it was such heavy handed tripe.

I'm sure all the woke Stalinists admired it for the way it had absolutely no redeemable male characters and was so relentless in the anti-male messaging.

Making a movie? You got me. I still don't know what a gaffer and a best boy is. I suspect the motion picture union but it seems to me that the credits these days are almost as long as the movie was.

Forum List

Back