What exactly are "Christian Values"?

You can't have it both ways.
If the values that Christ lived by are not exclusive to Christians, but seen in all sorts of people, then how can you convert those values into dogma when Christians use them, and condemn the teaching of the values that Christ lived by as being some sort of indoctrination. They are either values or dogma.
Why are they values for others but dogma for Christians?

And are you sure that the institution said their value based curriculum was exclusively Christian? Kept by Christians only? Or did they say they taught the values and standards that Christians use.
Are you sure they said that their institution was the only place you can find these values because they are exclusive to Christians?

I think you may have looked for arrogance where there really was none.
They advertised that they adhere to the values that Christians associate with.

You ask good questions. No, I am not sure they are exclusively Christian values...I can only go by what they say...which is "Christian values". Now....that leads me to believe that they are toting those values as exclusively Christian....thus the label. Personally, I believe that Christianity doesn't have a hammer lock on the kinds of good values we'd like to see students be raised with.

Please document where they say it is "exclusive" to them. :thup:

:)

peace...

She can't. As a matter of fact, if I had the time or even the interest, I'm certain you could searh this forum and find this exact same topic presented by her more than just a couple times over the last year. ;)

There's a Arizona private college that frequently advertises on the radio here...Grand Canyon University. They also heavily recruited our daughter (no idea why)...even tho she's a college sophomore now, we still get calls and literature from them. They go on, in their ad, about teaching in an atmosphere of "Christian Values". Could someone give a list please?

Christian University | Grand Canyon University

Grand Canyon University's Christian University position includes the following beliefs:
We are seeking to understand God's truth through the lens of our Christian faith.
All people are created in the image of God and therefore all people are valued.
Being made in the image of God also means that each person is a free moral agent and chooses his or her values.
All people have talents uniquely give to them by God.
People's need for wholeness is met in Jesus Christ.
God has a purpose for our lives and He prepares and calls us to that purpose.
God's love compels us to build community in harmony with all people.

Thanks MaBelle. Sounds like it's more Christian tenets...than actual values. Which is ok....tho, if you tweek a few of those tenets listed, they could apply to anyone's values, not just Christians.

There's a Arizona private college that frequently advertises on the radio here...Grand Canyon University. They also heavily recruited our daughter (no idea why)...even tho she's a college sophomore now, we still get calls and literature from them. They go on, in their ad, about teaching in an atmosphere of "Christian Values". Could someone give a list please?

Grand Canyon University's Christian University position includes the following beliefs:
We are seeking to understand God's truth through the lens of our Christian faith.
Being made in the image of God also means that each person is a free moral agent and chooses his or her values.

Thanks MaBelle. Sounds like it's more Christian tenets...than actual values. Which is ok....tho, if you tweek a few of those tenets listed, they could apply to anyone's values, not just Christians.

Where did they say they were their values and nobody else's?...

They did not. This Thread is nothing more than another Bait/Troll Thread.

peace...

http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/348238-what-exactly-are-your-values.html

For anyone who would like to take part in an Honest Discussion about Values instead of a Veiled Attack at anyone's Religion or Beliefs. :thup:

peace...

Your values are quite clear from your signature. I don't think I would be sending my children to you for spiritual guidance.
The OP has been nothing but respectful to everyone in this thread, calmly discussing the topic.
The "believers" are the ones that have been rude and dismissive.
How do you explain this?
Peace, love, joy, patience, goodness, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. Paul says these will be the signs of the person indwelt by the Holy Spirit.
Those professing faith in this thread have shown nothing of the kind, and the OP has displayed exactly these traits.
Perhaps this is an example of pouring burning coals on their heads with love.

All those values you don't have.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
All those values you don't have.

More of the same.
See my previous post.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/348238-what-exactly-are-your-values.html

For anyone who would like to take part in an Honest Discussion about Values instead of a Veiled Attack at anyone's Religion or Beliefs. :thup:

peace...

Your values are quite clear from your signature. I don't think I would be sending my children to you for spiritual guidance.
The OP has been nothing but respectful to everyone in this thread, calmly discussing the topic.
How do you explain this?
Peace, love, joy, patience, goodness, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. Paul says these will be the signs of the person indwelt by the Holy Spirit.
Those professing faith in this thread have shown nothing of the kind, and the OP has displayed exactly these traits.

She has not... She asked for Discussion and she has not Responded to my questions which were posed Respectfully... Because she knows she's Trolling.

peace...

peace...

How do you explain this?

She has not... She asked for Discussion and she has not Responded to my questions which were posed Respectfully... Because she knows she's Trolling.

peace...

What questions did they avoid?

peace...

How do you explain this?

Shouldn't judge a person by their signature, especially when you don't know the history. :)

I searched their website and did not find any reference to "atmosphere of Christian Values" as you laid out in the OP.

Check out these tenants:
Basic Tenets of Christianity

peace...

How do you explain this?

Shouldn't judge a person by their signature, especially when you don't know the history. :)

Did you read his signature?
It's disgusting!
Does your signature reflect nothing about you? If so, why is it there?

Forum List

Back