What if we made the wisconson union pay for their own pension funds

So now you have employees who cant afford to go to the Dr?

I guess even your employees benifited from the health care bill huh?

Do you hate them having that benifit?

I am not aware of any employee who cannot go to a Dr. They don't pay my premium and I don't pay theirs.

I believe all of my employees have private coverage, so I doubt they have seen any benefit from the Law. I am not aware of any employee who supports the Law, and I have several dozen employees. They are paid fairly, and well.

My business would not be where it is without my employees. My employees would not be where they are without my business. We're all fine with that arrangement, even if you aren't.

we have only your word for that one.

Your employees are not here to tell us how wonderful you think you are.

Now some of these benifit credits were created by the new healthcare law.

Why do you want to now strip your employees of the benfits you are incapable of providing them in compensation for their contributions to your household income level?

100 cents of every dollar for WI state workers' pensions paid for by the state workers themselves | Corrente

Would you let them keep their own pensions then?

Guess what they already do.

Out of every dollar that funds Wisconsin' s pension and health insurance plans for state workers, 100 cents comes from the state workers.

How can that be? Because the "contributions" consist of money that employees chose to take as deferred wages – as pensions when they retire – rather than take immediately in cash. The same is true with the health care plan. If this were not so a serious crime would be taking place, the gift of public funds rather than payment for services.

This was interesting until I read this gem from the link;

"NOTE What the elite believe: All your money are belong to us. If there's a pile of money lying around somewhere, our elite is going to loot it. That's why they do; that's what they are paid to do, and are promoted for doing. That, and lying about it. Via DU."

You will excuse me if I assume the rest is nothing but spin. Twisting facts to say what they want them to say.

we have only your word for that one.

Your employees are not here to tell us how wonderful you think you are.

Now some of these benifit credits were created by the new healthcare law.

Why do you want to now strip your employees of the benfits you are incapable of providing them in compensation for their contributions to your household income level?

I have employees who hate my guts. They are kept in check by the good employees until I get around to firing them :)

I'm not stripping them of anything now. My company eliminated our group policy in 2009 (primarily due to the expense of new COBRA legislation, but also seeing the writing on the wall). At that point, I offered a small allowance to any employee who qualified, which is paid directly to their provider as long as they hold a valid, private policy (if they are covered on another policy, such as their spouse's, they do not need, and do not receive the allowance).

When the Law goes fully into effect, I will require proof of existing insurance before you are eligible for employment, just as I require proof of citizenship and require that all employees have never been convicted of a felony in any US court.

Firing people for not liking you must be great for business.

You have still never said why you wish to strip your employees fo the benifits of the healthcare law?

Firing people for not liking you must be great for business.

You have still never said why you wish to strip your employees fo the benifits of the healthcare law?

Yes, firing the disgruntled is almost ALWAYS good for business. Usually, the other employees will fire the bad apples for me, but I get the privilege of delivering the bad news :(

I haven't said why, because I'm not wishing it. They are free to drop their current coverage and go get those benefits, if they so choose. I'm not involved in their insurance, and they aren't involved in mine. That is a personal decision/problem that each of us must handle on our own now

I find that hard to believe TM. You might want to check your Premise here. Most States either contribute a portion to Employee Retirement Funds. Maybe you could focus on a legitimate source. Just a thought. ;)

The New York Times editorial board has decided, reluctantly, it is time to rein in the compensation that government union employees get:
That huge increase is largely because of Albany’s outsized generosity to the state’s powerful employees’ unions in the early years of the last decade, made worse when the recession pushed down pension fund earnings, forcing the state to make up the difference.
Although taxpayers are on the hook for the recession’s costs, most state employees pay only 3 percent of their salaries to their pensions, half the level of most state employees elsewhere. Their health insurance payments are about half those in the private sector.
In all, the salaries and benefits of state employees add up to $18.5 billion, or a fifth of New York’s operating budget. Unless those costs are reined in, New York will find itself unable to provide even essential services.
So to review – government unions conspired to elect union friendly Democrats to the state legislature who in turn then granted, via “outsized generosity [with other people’s money]”, incredibly expensive benefits that cost those union members next to nothing.
Uh, yeah, I think that’s what has been said about Wisconsin as well. But in its very next paragraph, the NYT says, presumably so as not to seem too anti-union or anti-worker, that pointing this out isn’t either of those things, but that darn GOP is both:
To point out these alarming facts is not to be anti- union, or anti-worker. In recent weeks, Republican politicians in the Midwest have distorted what should be a serious discussion about state employees’ benefits, cynically using it as a pretext to crush unions.
The NYT provides one of the perverse joys I look forward too each day – trying to figure out how the editorial board will torture both the language and logic to come up with the positions it assumes. This is another example. What is happening in Wisconsin – almost precisely the same scenario – is anti-worker and anti-union because good old Governor Walker is one of them – a Republican.
But Governor Cuomo? Why the model of what it means to be a union friendly Democratic governor:
Gov. Andrew Cuomo has pursued a reasonable course, making it clear that he expects public unions to make sacrifices, starting with a salary freeze. He wants to require greater employee contributions to pensions and health benefits, with a goal of saving $450 million.
Negotiations begin this month, but so far union leaders have publicly resisted Mr. Cuomo’s proposals. If they don’t budge, Mr. Cuomo says he will have to lay off up to 9,800 workers.

New York Times: New York is not like Wisconsin « The Greenroom

The OP is correct in that benefits are in lieu of other compensation. If a government employee makes $60,000 a year and receives $20,000 in benefits, then his compensation is $80,000 a year. If the government then says the employee has to pay for half his benefits, then the employee receives $10,000 in benefits for a total compensation of $70,000. Now, we can debate the merits of this, but it is a pay cut in total pay for government employees. It's a bit of a canard to say that because others do it, so you should too. What matters is the total package.

This is going to make TM's head explode:

When I made the decision to cancel our group policy, my insurance premiums went down. WAY down. Under our corporate policy, I had lesser benefits, and a higher premium than I do as an individual holding a private, family policy. My benefits are actually slightly better now, even though I am personally paying LESS money.

Ironically, when it became cost ineffective to carry a corporate policy, my only option was to indirectly increase my personal income.

Only in America!!!!

I see.

I've been seeing this assertion for the last few days, that union workers pay 100% of their healthcare and pension costs already, but I can't seem to find data that is trustworthy on where this came from.

correntewire.com is a blog, therefore not trustworthy as a news source, and the link cites an opinion piece. They have a link to source material at Tax.com to an article by David Cay Johnston.

When you look at Mr. Johnston's profile on Wikipedia to get a sense of bias in the article, you discover a distinct anti-corporate/capitalist bent in his past work. Two of his three books are based on 'exposing' the affluent in how they corrupt the system to avoid paying 'fair taxes'. Not to mention being anti-war, Anti-Patriot act and a New York Times alumnus. The fact he cites the Club for Growth, is a direct giveaway to a liberal bias putting his whole article and 'fact' in question.

When you look at the supposed source material he used to compile his article, I'm failing to see where he draws this conclusion from.

So, take that into account when you hear the little nugget:

Out of every dollar that funds Wisconsin' s pension and health insurance plans for state workers, 100 cents comes from the state workers.

I do find it funny that he too bashes Politifucked as being inaccurate. That's just funny.

So, I am solidly skeptical of his data and conclusions... just as he advocates.

100 cents of every dollar for WI state workers' pensions paid for by the state workers themselves | Corrente

Would you let them keep their own pensions then?

Guess what they already do.

How can that be? Because the "contributions" consist of money that employees chose to take as deferred wages – as pensions when they retire – rather than take immediately in cash. The same is true with the health care plan. If this were not so a serious crime would be taking place, the gift of public funds rather than payment for services.

How dare you sir, how dare you I say. How dare you to inject honest facts. Not hpyer, fixedlies soundbites, but facts.

You must know by now that ConJobs, Repugs and Teabaggers hate facts.

This is going to make TM's head explode:

When I made the decision to cancel our group policy, my insurance premiums went down. WAY down. Under our corporate policy, I had lesser benefits, and a higher premium than I do as an individual holding a private, family policy. My benefits are actually slightly better now, even though I am personally paying LESS money.

Ironically, when it became cost ineffective to carry a corporate policy, my only option was to indirectly increase my personal income.

Only in America!!!!
Individual health insurance policies are easy to get and not that expensive if you're 25 years old with no history of health problems. But add 25 years, ulcers and high blood pressure, a wife recovering from breast cancer and two kids. It's a whole different story.

Good for you .

why should you be allowed to take your employees benifits away because of your profit line?
benefits are not a mandate. they are, as the name implies, a benefit. Not every company offers benefits, not all companies offer the same benefits.

When your employer gives the money for your 401k to one of his suppliers in the form of a discount because he likes them is that fair? Should he have any contractural right to keep paying your benifits and 401 K matching he promised you?
Or can should he by law have the right to just strip you of those parts of your agreed upon compensation?

If my "employer" does something I do not like - I can quit. My employer is not obligated to give me one penny more than my contract with him requires. And I have yet to see an employee contract that details 401(k) contributions.

After this article - from the bastion of public union employee defenders, no less - it is so fucking GAME OVER:

Are State and Local Government Employees Paid Too Much? - Graphic - NYTimes.com

Forum List

Back