What over-used, or wrongly used words and phrases annoy you the most

I think we should be allowed to say anything we want, as long as we preface it with............"With all due respect..."

Irregardless. It's regardless.

on a grammar note it drives me crazy when people use subjective pronouns in the wrong place.

For example,Dad went to the store with Mom and I.

It's Dad went to the store with Mom and me.

on a grammar note it drives me crazy when people use subjective pronouns in the wrong place.

It could be "Dad and I..."

It could be "Dad and I..."

Only as the subject of the sentence and not as the object of the preposition.

Dad and I went to the store with Mom.

Not

Mom went to the store with Dad and I.

"Good job!" Moms to their kids after they cost their team a score and come off the field all embarrassed and about to cry.

Need to have a 'conversation'
At end of the day
'that's a good question'

there you have it

And you can add that ^^^^^ to the list

-Geaux
How about the four most dreaded words a husband will ever hear from his wife (possibly the most dreaded words in the English language. Lol...):

"We need to talk..."

Last edited:
You just know you're in for a flood of bullshit when someone begins their statement with the words:

"There's one thing I know...."

I do that sometimes. I'm not used to thank yous or even compliments, so I never know what to say.
"Thank you" is all that need be said in response to a compliment, especially in person.

If one is writing a thank-you note in response to receiving anything, frankly, it's customary to share something that indicates how a gift was useful, helpful, time, etc. Given the ease these days of taking and sending photos, sending a picture of yourself and/or others using the gift is a great thing to include. A short blurb about the setting/event shown in the photo would be a fitting accompaniment.

Sometimes, one receives gifts that make one wonder "what the hell am I going to do with this." In those cases a little sincere diplomacy is required.
Dear Aunt Persephone,

Thank you so much for the lovely set of digital escargot forks. Where did you find them? I had no idea there be such things. It's just like you to know about all the finer details. I appreciate your letting me in on some of your secrets.

It's super thoughtful of you to have noticed how much I like to entertain and the importance I place on having just the right implement for each dish. But for the forks you sent, I'd have to make-do with regular ones. Now I have just the thing for snails served in their shells, which, frankly, Aunt Persy, is what I'd prefer as it saves me the trouble of having to extract them prior to cooking, a yucky task to say the least.

How'd ballooning in Katmandu go? Send some photos. I can't imagine what Katmandu looks like from above. Were the natives restless or just you and Uncle Teddy? LOL Please give him my best and my apologies. I tried calling him yesterday, but Libby said he was on the lake and I got overburdened getting the twins ready for camp.

I can't wait to see you at the Derby. We've entered Brazen Balls, but he's got tough competition. My money's on him to show. Regardless, what the horse can't accomplish, a mint julep or two will.

Shelby can't make the Derby this year -- her beau has a regatta the same day. She's riding Blue Steel at Loch Moy, however. She's rightly proud of the job she's done training her and really wants you to see how composed Blue has become. I think you'll be quite impressed. I sure hope you and Uncle Teddy will make it. Even Mother, the boys, and Kip's parents will be there, so, if you two, Chris and Libby show up we can make a mini reunion out of it. Hope you make it.

Much love.
Gracie​

If the thing received is less tangible, a compliment or letter of recommendation, for instance, a simply thank you and expression of appreciation for the person's support is all that's needed. Just be sure to keep the person apprised if a subsequent benefit comes, in part or whole, because of their efforts one's behalf.

The short of it is that while the means and modes of civilized behavior have evolved from what they were in the 20th century and before, the themes, expectations and implications of applying them have changed not a bit among civilized people.

• "Actually" -- "Actually" may be among the most condescending words in English. How stupid must a writer think their audience be that s/he feels obliged to write, for example, "Bill actually said, 'Go to hell,' to Mary?"
    • If the writer didn't include "actually," would readers, of their own accord, think Bill said something other than "go to hell?"
    • Does the writer so distrust his readers' comprehension that s/he includes "actually" to make sure readers refrain from thinking Bill said something other than "go to hell?"
Actually, on this forum? Like, totally.

I do that sometimes. I'm not used to thank yous or even compliments, so I never know what to say.
"Thank you" is all that need be said in response to a compliment, especially in person.

If one is writing a thank-you note in response to receiving anything, frankly, it's customary to share something that indicates how a gift was useful, helpful, time, etc. Given the ease these days of taking and sending photos, sending a picture of yourself and/or others using the gift is a great thing to include. A short blurb about the setting/event shown in the photo would be a fitting accompaniment.

Sometimes, one receives gifts that make one wonder "what the hell am I going to do with this." In those cases a little sincere diplomacy is required.
Dear Aunt Persephone,

Thank you so much for the lovely set of digital escargot forks. Where did you find them? I had no idea there be such things. It's just like you to know about all the finer details. I appreciate your letting me in on some of your secrets.

It's super thoughtful of you to have noticed how much I like to entertain and the importance I place on having just the right implement for each dish. But for the forks you sent, I'd have to make-do with regular ones. Now I have just the thing for snails served in their shells, which, frankly, Aunt Persy, is what I'd prefer as it saves me the trouble of having to extract them prior to cooking, a yucky task to say the least.

How'd ballooning in Katmandu go? Send some photos. I can't imagine what Katmandu looks like from above. Were the natives restless or just you and Uncle Teddy? LOL Please give him my best and my apologies. I tried calling him yesterday, but Libby said he was on the lake and I got overburdened getting the twins ready for camp.

I can't wait to see you at the Derby. We've entered Brazen Balls, but he's got tough competition. My money's on him to show. Regardless, what the horse can't accomplish, a mint julep or two will.

Shelby can't make the Derby this year -- her beau has a regatta the same day. She's riding Blue Steel at Loch Moy, however. She's rightly proud of the job she's done training her and really wants you to see how composed Blue has become. I think you'll be quite impressed. I sure hope you and Uncle Teddy will make it. Even Mother, the boys, and Kip's parents will be there, so, if you two, Chris and Libby show up we can make a mini reunion out of it. Hope you make it.

Much love.
Gracie​

If the thing received is less tangible, a compliment or letter of recommendation, for instance, a simply thank you and expression of appreciation for the person's support is all that's needed. Just be sure to keep the person apprised if a subsequent benefit comes, in part or whole, because of their efforts one's behalf.

The short of it is that while the means and modes of civilized behavior have evolved from what they were in the 20th century and before, the themes, expectations and implications of applying them have changed not a bit among civilized people.
There are times when the niceties of polite society fall short and the better part of manners is not to send such a detailed thank you note. In fact, a simple, “Thank you, your gift was very thoughtful and provided me hours of enjoyment would be preferable to:

Dear Maggie.

I want to thank you so very much for the gift of the Doc Johnson 11 inches vibrating rabbit with anal and clitoral stimulation. I almost squealed like a school girl when I opened the tastefully concealed, brown paper package.

I, of course, put your thoughtful gift to use before Tom came home. I was particularly impressed by the three speed, variable settings, and the oscillating tip feature. Both are very pleasant.

I have included a couple of photos using the 55-140mm lens you gave me two years ago for my Canon 3Ti. I think that these say more than any words ever could. You can tell in the first that the timer function works well as the vibrator is still inserted. Just seconds afterward, it shot across the room to plop on the floor. In the second, you can tell I’m going over the top by the surprised look on my face!

As you know, Tom’s beer belly girth exceeds the length of his ‘tool’ and he hasn’t given me a good pounding in years. So you see, your gift while thoughtful, has come just in the ‘Knick of time.’

With deep gratitude,

Marge.

PS. Last year’s gift of the rubber sheets sure came in handy just last week!

Dear Aunt Persephone,

Much love.
Gracie​

There are times when the niceties of polite society fall short and the better part of manners is not to send such a detailed thank you note. In fact, a simple, “Thank you, your gift was very thoughtful and provided me hours of enjoyment would be preferable to:

Dear Maggie.

I want to thank you so very much for the gift of the Doc Johnson 11 inches vibrating rabbit with anal and clitoral stimulation. I almost squealed like a school girl when I opened the tastefully concealed, brown paper package.

I, of course, put your thoughtful gift to use before Tom came home. I was particularly impressed by the three speed, variable settings, and the oscillating tip feature. Both are very pleasant.

I have included a couple of photos using the 55-140mm lens you gave me two years ago for my Canon 3Ti. I think that these say more than any words ever could. You can tell in the first that the timer function works well as the vibrator is still inserted. Just seconds afterward, it shot across the room to plop on the floor. In the second, you can tell I’m going over the top by the surprised look on my face!

As you know, Tom’s beer belly girth exceeds the length of his ‘tool’ and he hasn’t given me a good pounding in years. So you see, your gift while thoughtful, has come just in the ‘Knick of time.’

With deep gratitude,

Marge.

PS. Last year’s gift of the rubber sheets sure came in handy just last week!
There are times when the niceties of polite society fall short and the better part of manners is not to send such a detailed thank you note. In fact, a simple, “Thank you, your gift was very thoughtful and provided me hours of enjoyment would be preferable to [longer expressions of gratitude]

Overall, I agree with your theme. Some of the details, not so much.

There are times when the niceties of polite society fall short

I frankly disagree. The "niceties of polite society," IMO, never fall short. They just don't militate for effusive expressions of appreciation.

The "niceties of polite society" call for one to send a thank you note of some sort. That's it. Whether one sends a note such as the longer examples you and I have illustratively shared depends on an assortment of things, none being the "niceties of polite society."

As goes the sample note I wrote, any of the following parts of it would do just fine:
  • "Thank you for the digital escargot forks. I had no idea there be such things. I appreciate your letting me in on some of your secrets."
  • "Thank you for the lovely set of digital escargot forks. [They'll] save me the trouble of having to extract snails prior to cooking, a yucky task to say the least."
I shared the missive to offer a variety of ideas -- ones individual may, at their discretion, cull, modify, or even steal -- about how to approach the matter of expressing gratitude. I didn't mean it to be a template or prescription, though if someone sees fit to use it that way, they can. They could do the same with your note.

There are times when ...the better part of manners is not to send such a detailed thank you note.

I agree. For instance, were I to have but a fleeting or unwillful relationship with the other party, such "carrying on" would, inappropriately, seem bedizened and thereby convey a sense that I aim to ingratiate myself with the individual rather than simply express gratitude. Nobody likes social climbers; thus it'd do one well not to behave as one.

Dear Maggie.

With deep gratitude,

Marge.
I had a good laugh reading that. Kudos on your creativity and sense of humor.

Thanks a million for the OP.

That (beginning sentences with "so") is one of my biggest pet peeves ever.

I can't seem to shake it.

Last edited:
"You need to................" Makes me want to find a club.

Forum List

Back