What over-used, or wrongly used words and phrases annoy you the most

The "F" bomb. Nothing is more annoying than when a person feels the need to include it in every single sentence. It's so douchy.
What about the C-word? If you could only pick one, which one could you live with?
I see nothing wrong with the "C" word ...if the "D" word is ok, the "C" word should be ok too. Equal rights

Wait, what .. or .. I know, right?
I don't know why people get all worked up over the f-word? It is a very versatile word that can be applied to many different situations.

Perhaps one of the most interesting and colourful words in the English language today is the word "fuck". It is the one magical word which, just by its sound, can describe pain, pleasure, love, and hate.

In language, "fuck" falls into many grammatical categories. It can be used as a verb, both transitive (John fucked Mary) and intransitive (Mary was fucked by John). It can be an action verb (John really gives a fuck), a passive verb (Mary really doesn't give a fuck), an adverb (Mary is fucking interested in John), or as a noun (Mary is a terrific fuck).

It can also be used as an adjective (Mary is fucking beautiful) or an interjection (Fuck! I'm late for my date with Mary). It can even be used as a conjunction (Mary is easy, fuck she's also stupid). As you can see, there are very few words with the overall versatility of the word "fuck"..

Aside from its sexual connotations, this incredible word can be used to describe many situations:

1. Greetings: "How the fuck are ya?"

2. Fraud: "I got fucked by the car dealer."

3. Resignation: "Oh, fuck it!"

4. Trouble: "I guess I'm fucked now."

5. Aggression: "FUCK YOU!"

6. Disgust: "Fuck me."

7. Confusion: "What the fuck.......?"

8. Difficulty: "I don't understand this fucking business!"

9. Despair: "Fucked again..."

10. Pleasure: "I fucking couldn't be happier."

11. Displeasure: "What the fuck is going on here?"

12. Lost: "Where the fuck are we."

13. Disbelief: "UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE!"

14. Retaliation: "Up your fucking ass!"

15. Denial: "I didn't fucking do it."

16. Perplexity: "I know fuck all about it."

17. Apathy: "Who really gives a fuck, anyhow?"

18. Greetings: "How the fuck are ya?"

19. Suspicion: "Who the fuck are you?"

20. Panic: "Let's get the fuck out of here."

21. Directions: "Fuck off."

22. Disbelief: "How the fuck did you do that?"

It can be used in an anatomical description- "He's a fucking asshole." It can be used to tell time- "It's five fucking thirty." It can be used in business- "How did I wind up with this fucking job?" It can be maternal- "Motherfucker." It can be political- "Fuck Dan Quayle!"

It has also been used by many notable people throughout history:

"What the fuck was that?"

Mayor of Hiroshima​

Wait, what .. or .. I know, right?
I don't know why people get all worked up over the f-word? It is a very versatile word that can be applied to many different situations.

Perhaps one of the most interesting and colourful words in the English language today is the word "fuck". It is the one magical word which, just by its sound, can describe pain, pleasure, love, and hate.

In language, "fuck" falls into many grammatical categories. It can be used as a verb, both transitive (John fucked Mary) and intransitive (Mary was fucked by John). It can be an action verb (John really gives a fuck), a passive verb (Mary really doesn't give a fuck), an adverb (Mary is fucking interested in John), or as a noun (Mary is a terrific fuck).

It can also be used as an adjective (Mary is fucking beautiful) or an interjection (Fuck! I'm late for my date with Mary). It can even be used as a conjunction (Mary is easy, fuck she's also stupid). As you can see, there are very few words with the overall versatility of the word "fuck"..

Aside from its sexual connotations, this incredible word can be used to describe many situations:

1. Greetings: "How the fuck are ya?"

2. Fraud: "I got fucked by the car dealer."

3. Resignation: "Oh, fuck it!"

4. Trouble: "I guess I'm fucked now."

5. Aggression: "FUCK YOU!"

6. Disgust: "Fuck me."

7. Confusion: "What the fuck.......?"

8. Difficulty: "I don't understand this fucking business!"

9. Despair: "Fucked again..."

10. Pleasure: "I fucking couldn't be happier."

11. Displeasure: "What the fuck is going on here?"

12. Lost: "Where the fuck are we."

13. Disbelief: "UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE!"

14. Retaliation: "Up your fucking ass!"

15. Denial: "I didn't fucking do it."

16. Perplexity: "I know fuck all about it."

17. Apathy: "Who really gives a fuck, anyhow?"

18. Greetings: "How the fuck are ya?"

19. Suspicion: "Who the fuck are you?"

20. Panic: "Let's get the fuck out of here."

21. Directions: "Fuck off."

22. Disbelief: "How the fuck did you do that?"

It can be used in an anatomical description- "He's a fucking asshole." It can be used to tell time- "It's five fucking thirty." It can be used in business- "How did I wind up with this fucking job?" It can be maternal- "Motherfucker." It can be political- "Fuck Dan Quayle!"

It has also been used by many notable people throughout history:

"What the fuck was that?"

Mayor of Hiroshima​
Yeah, you're right.

"Shit" is another very versatile and useful word. It should have its own page in every dictionary.

Shit on this.
Shit on you.
What is this shit?
Eat shit!
I hate this shit.
When does this shit come to an end?
Have a shit burger, AH.

Well, you get the idea.

This is just meant to be a fun thread for the linguistic nit pickers among us.

Here’s what I mean: I was listening to an interview on the radio today, and the interviewee used the phrase “you know” about fifteen times in just a couple of minutes (then I nearly ripped the button off the radio when I switched it off).

The interviewee also began many of her sentences with the word “so,” even though there was no previous thought being referenced. From what I’ve read there's no grammatical reason not to use the word ‘so’ at the beginning of a sentence. Still, it sounds wrong (to me) when the word ‘so’ is not tying thoughts together (when used at the beginning of a sentence). And it quickly becomes annoying when overused in this way.

While ‘so’ is a versatile and useful word, some people make it an annoying word by using it at the beginning of nearly every sentence.

www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/is-starting-a-sentence-with-so-condescending

Another irritating word is “irregardless”. Again there is no rule against its use. But it’s a double-negative. The word “regardless” already has the suffix, “less”, on the end of the word. Some dictionaries list the word ‘irregardless’ but they note that it is non-standard.

So what are your pet peeves when it comes to word usage, or those over-used phrases that are quickly tossed out in place of doing the work required to express a real thought?

Need to have a 'conversation'
At end of the day
'that's a good question'

there you have it

And you can add that ^^^^^ to the list

-Geaux
My bad. :banghead:

I've been known to say the F-word on occasion when frustrated or angry and it doesn't bother me too much if someone else does.......but NOT every other word out of their mouth in a regular conversation.....just cork it will ya

Another thing that bothers me is when parents are scolding their kids and say something like 'we don't do things like that, OKAY?' To me, it sounds as if the parents are asking permission from the kid to make those rules. No wonder kids don't respect adults.

I've been known to say the F-word on occasion when frustrated or angry and it doesn't bother me too much if someone else does.......but NOT every other word out of their mouth in a regular conversation.....just cork it will ya

Another thing that bothers me is when parents are scolding their kids and say something like 'we don't do things like that, OKAY?' To me, it sounds as if the parents are asking permission from the kid to make those rules. No wonder kids don't respect adults.

Yep, saying the F word too much is annoying and embarrassing depending on the venue or the company. Like if my grandmother was over the house and I had a friend who was dropping the F bomb every other word. I would have to say something at that point. Most people have more manners than that I hope!

Or when the parent is barely paying attention to the child and just keeps saying "stop that", "stop that" as they are on their phone or whatever. It's like, hang up your damn phone and pay attention to your little brat! :lol:

Yeah, you're right.

"Shit" is another very versatile and useful word. It should have its own page in every dictionary.

Shit on this.
Shit on you.
What is this shit?
Eat shit!
I hate this shit.
When does this shit come to an end?
Have a shit burger, AH.

Well, you get the idea.
What is this shit, is my favorite!

Or when the parent is barely paying attention to the child and just keeps saying "stop that", "stop that" as they are on their phone or whatever. It's like, hang up your damn phone and pay attention to your little brat! :lol:

Yeah that, or when they 'count to 3 or I'll....."........they give them a boundary or limit along with a threat of punishment...but fail to follow thru and just keep counting and the kid just keeps misbehaving. :rolleyes:

Around here they got 3 chances. First time, I'd tell them no. Second time, it's no or else. Third time, they got the 'or else'.......whether it was to lose something, be separated from or a swat on the butt......depending on age, offense(s), attitude. They learned Mom means business :badgrin:

I climb the wall when I hear people who use 50 year old slang — and think they’re impressing people when they do so.

• It’s my bag, her bag, their bag - (used by jazz musicians since the forties, at least.

• Getting a new gig, looking for a gig - (used by jazzers forever)

• I know an old guy who, when he leaves, still says, “I’m gonna book...” (Groan)

'
Well, "ain't" is almost always shockingly sub-standard in the USA, but in England still is in vogue with the upper classes, particularly the country gentry, where it is strictly confined to the first person singular : "I ain't....", or "Ain't I...?"

The problem is that the correct negative contraction of the first person singular copula is "amn't", which is difficult to pronounce correctly. In England, both "amn't" and "aren't" are pronounced ahnt, as in the refined pronunciation of "aunt".

It is easy to see how "ain't" arose from ahnt, and why so many Americans commit the dreadful solecism of saying "Aren't I...?" for the negative contraction of "am I not?" "Are" is strictly a plural form, and should never be used with the first person singular. That usage is even worse -- much worse -- than "ain't".

If I said, "I am superbly educated, aren't I?" it would be true, but a grammatical howler. Only "am I not" or "ain't I" can be considered correct.

"Ax."

Wish I'd never hear that one again.

Using it makes the speaker sound brain-dead.
Well, the original pronunciation in Middle English was "ax": "ask" is a new-fangled bounder into the language.

The process of metathesis is responsible for this very common form of innovation in the English language.

The process has shaped many English words historically. Bird and horse came from Old English bridd and hros; wasp and hasp were also written wæps and hæps.

The Old English beorht "bright" underwent metathesis to bryht, which became Modern English bright.

The Old English þrēo "three" formed þridda "thrid" and þrēotene "thriteen". These underwent metathesis to forms which became Modern English third and thirteen.

The Old English verb wyrċan "to work" had the passive participle ġeworht "worked". This underwent metathesis to wroht, which became Modern English wrought.

The Old English þyrl "hole" underwent metathesis to þryl. This gave rise to a verb þrylian "pierce", which became Modern English thrill, and formed the compound nosþryl "nose-hole" which became Modern English nostril.

Chaucer's "with lockes crulle" meant "with curled locks". The "u" and the "r" changed places by metathesis.

"How's it hanging?"

and, as a good-bye,

"Don't let your meat loaf..."

Okay, these two are just plain silly rather than irritating.

The interviewee also began many of her sentences with the word “so,” even though there was no previous thought being referenced
I listen to a lot of radio, and a lot of radio interviews, and have been hearing that "so" thing a lot lately. I HATE it every time I hear it. If it's a fad,I hope it dies a quick death!

Forum List

Back