What over-used, or wrongly used words and phrases annoy you the most

The interviewee also began many of her sentences with the word “so,” even though there was no previous thought being referenced
I listen to a lot of radio, and a lot of radio interviews, and have been hearing that "so" thing a lot lately. I HATE it every time I hear it. If it's a fad,I hope it dies a quick death!

Soooooo . . . why would you hope for that? So isn't going anywhere! Not if I have any say in the matter.

Soooooo . . . why would you hope for that? So isn't going anywhere! Not if I have any say in the matter.
Sorry, but you haven't mastered this annoying fad. It goes more like this:

Interviewer: "What advantages have you found in krill oil over regular fish oil?"

Interviewee: "So, when we conducted our tests with 50 chimpanzees, we found blah blah blah..."

Wait, what .. or .. I know, right?
I don't know why people get all worked up over the f-word? It is a very versatile word that can be applied to many different situations.

Perhaps one of the most interesting and colourful words in the English language today is the word "fuck". It is the one magical word which, just by its sound, can describe pain, pleasure, love, and hate.

In language, "fuck" falls into many grammatical categories. It can be used as a verb, both transitive (John fucked Mary) and intransitive (Mary was fucked by John). It can be an action verb (John really gives a fuck), a passive verb (Mary really doesn't give a fuck), an adverb (Mary is fucking interested in John), or as a noun (Mary is a terrific fuck).

It can also be used as an adjective (Mary is fucking beautiful) or an interjection (Fuck! I'm late for my date with Mary). It can even be used as a conjunction (Mary is easy, fuck she's also stupid). As you can see, there are very few words with the overall versatility of the word "fuck"..

Aside from its sexual connotations, this incredible word can be used to describe many situations:

1. Greetings: "How the fuck are ya?"

2. Fraud: "I got fucked by the car dealer."

3. Resignation: "Oh, fuck it!"

4. Trouble: "I guess I'm fucked now."

5. Aggression: "FUCK YOU!"

6. Disgust: "Fuck me."

7. Confusion: "What the fuck.......?"

8. Difficulty: "I don't understand this fucking business!"

9. Despair: "Fucked again..."

10. Pleasure: "I fucking couldn't be happier."

11. Displeasure: "What the fuck is going on here?"

12. Lost: "Where the fuck are we."

13. Disbelief: "UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE!"

14. Retaliation: "Up your fucking ass!"

15. Denial: "I didn't fucking do it."

16. Perplexity: "I know fuck all about it."

17. Apathy: "Who really gives a fuck, anyhow?"

18. Greetings: "How the fuck are ya?"

19. Suspicion: "Who the fuck are you?"

20. Panic: "Let's get the fuck out of here."

21. Directions: "Fuck off."

22. Disbelief: "How the fuck did you do that?"

It can be used in an anatomical description- "He's a fucking asshole." It can be used to tell time- "It's five fucking thirty." It can be used in business- "How did I wind up with this fucking job?" It can be maternal- "Motherfucker." It can be political- "Fuck Dan Quayle!"

It has also been used by many notable people throughout history:

"What the fuck was that?"

Mayor of Hiroshima​
Yeah, you're right.

"Shit" is another very versatile and useful word. It should have its own page in every dictionary.

Shit on this.
Shit on you.
What is this shit?
Eat shit!
I hate this shit.
When does this shit come to an end?
Have a shit burger, AH.

Well, you get the idea.
Yeah, yeah. Enough of that shit.

Sorry, but you haven't mastered this annoying fad. It goes more like this:

Interviewer: "What advantages have you found in krill oil over regular fish oil?"

Interviewee: "So, when we conducted our tests with 50 chimpanzees, we found blah blah blah..."

So? I say that all the time! :2up: It's a good word.

Now I'm going to make it my mission to find an example of what I'm talking about so the rest of you can share my misery.

I hate it when people always talk in the form of a question? I went to the store today? And I bought some candy? Now THAT is annoying. Or when someone sounds like they need to clear their throat. Clear your throat for goodness sake!

Or when someone sounds like they need to clear their throat. Clear your throat for goodness sake!
So..... A couple decades ago I was trying to learn Hebrew. I thought I was doing well when I was attempting to impress a Jewish friend with my mastery of that language, when he asked, "are you trying to speak Hebrew, or just clearing your throat?"
How A Popular Two-Letter Word Is Undermining Your Credibility

I use that all the time. So, there I was, walking down the street, when all of the sudden . . . .

So..... A couple decades ago I was trying to learn Hebrew. I thought I was doing well when I was attempting to impress a Jewish friend with my mastery of that language, when he asked, "are you trying to speak Hebrew, or just clearing your throat?"
How A Popular Two-Letter Word Is Undermining Your Credibility
Thanks for the link. Enjoyed the read.

The unnecessary and overused "so" is one habit that makes me want to punch the speaker in the face. I hate it.

This is just meant to be a fun thread for the linguistic nit pickers among us.

Here’s what I mean: I was listening to an interview on the radio today, and the interviewee used the phrase “you know” about fifteen times in just a couple of minutes (then I nearly ripped the button off the radio when I switched it off).

The interviewee also began many of her sentences with the word “so,” even though there was no previous thought being referenced. From what I’ve read there's no grammatical reason not to use the word ‘so’ at the beginning of a sentence. Still, it sounds wrong (to me) when the word ‘so’ is not tying thoughts together (when used at the beginning of a sentence). And it quickly becomes annoying when overused in this way.

While ‘so’ is a versatile and useful word, some people make it an annoying word by using it at the beginning of nearly every sentence.

www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/is-starting-a-sentence-with-so-condescending

Another irritating word is “irregardless”. Again there is no rule against its use. But it’s a double-negative. The word “regardless” already has the suffix, “less”, on the end of the word. Some dictionaries list the word ‘irregardless’ but they note that it is non-standard.

So what are your pet peeves when it comes to word usage, or those over-used phrases that are quickly tossed out in place of doing the work required to express a real thought?
I hate it when people break up their speech with the guttural sound "...uh..."

I mean....uh.....it takes....uh....twice as long....uh....to finish....uh....sentence.

Obama must have drove you batty.

This is just meant to be a fun thread for the linguistic nit pickers among us.

Here’s what I mean: I was listening to an interview on the radio today, and the interviewee used the phrase “you know” about fifteen times in just a couple of minutes (then I nearly ripped the button off the radio when I switched it off).

The interviewee also began many of her sentences with the word “so,” even though there was no previous thought being referenced. From what I’ve read there's no grammatical reason not to use the word ‘so’ at the beginning of a sentence. Still, it sounds wrong (to me) when the word ‘so’ is not tying thoughts together (when used at the beginning of a sentence). And it quickly becomes annoying when overused in this way.

While ‘so’ is a versatile and useful word, some people make it an annoying word by using it at the beginning of nearly every sentence.

www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/is-starting-a-sentence-with-so-condescending

Another irritating word is “irregardless”. Again there is no rule against its use. But it’s a double-negative. The word “regardless” already has the suffix, “less”, on the end of the word. Some dictionaries list the word ‘irregardless’ but they note that it is non-standard.

So what are your pet peeves when it comes to word usage, or those over-used phrases that are quickly tossed out in place of doing the work required to express a real thought?
I hate it when people break up their speech with the guttural sound "...uh..."

I mean....uh.....it takes....uh....twice as long....uh....to finish....uh....sentence.

Obama must have drove you batty.

Yep, I remember that Obama did that all the time. Lol.

Surreal. I hate that word so much. All the news morons like Chris "Cocain" Quomo and the info sluts on the cable news drop that all the time to look smaht. Second ain't so much a word, but when I hear "I don't know" it pisses me off if it's done in the proper context.

Forum List

Back