What would have happened if Home Depot had refused to rent a truck to Sayfullo Saipov?

Gee. I wonder if the clerk at Ryder should have said something when Timothy McVeigh stepped up to the counter?
What should he have said, "you're a perfectly normal looking American?"
Have you ever been to the rest of America? In Passaic, in Red Hook, in Coraopolis, in Toledo people who look like the assailant are everywhere. He looked perfectly normal. Should he have been wearing a yellow crescent armband to mark him as Muslim? Should we require everyone of the Muslim faith to register as potential threats? Maybe we could segregate them in special camps surrounded by concertina wire, gun towers and police dogs. We could call it a Final Solution. That sounds great to folks who flunked History, like the average Trump supporter.

So, you agree that miller is a liar, good.

What would you suggest to reduce or stop terrorism like this?
I don't know who Miller is or what he said. Don't put words in my mouth.

As for terrorism like this, I just don't know. No one does. Renting a truck is an every day experience. Because terrorists have weaponized them it doesn't make them inherently dangerous. And I don't the know it's appropriate to report anyone with an olive complexion to the authorities for doing an every day thing.
It is literally impossible. There will always be insane idiots and zealotry.

Gee. I wonder if the clerk at Ryder should have said something when Timothy McVeigh stepped up to the counter?
Have you ever been to the rest of America? In Passaic, in Red Hook, in Coraopolis, in Toledo people who look like the assailant are everywhere. He looked perfectly normal. Should he have been wearing a yellow crescent armband to mark him as Muslim? Should we require everyone of the Muslim faith to register as potential threats? Maybe we could segregate them in special camps surrounded by concertina wire, gun towers and police dogs. We could call it a Final Solution. That sounds great to folks who flunked History, like the average Trump supporter.

As for terrorism like this, I just don't know. No one does. Renting a truck is an every day experience. Because terrorists have weaponized them it doesn't make them inherently dangerous. And I don't the know it's appropriate to report anyone with an olive complexion to the authorities for doing an every day thing.
I fear some people would let the perfect impede the good. Whenever there is a cry for stricter gun control, the pro-gun crowd cries that no law would prevent gun violence. Now many of those same people think that a means to prevent attacks the like we saw in Manhattan on Halloween can be prevented by barring people with an olive complexion from conducting everyday commerce.

I fear some people would let the perfect impede the good. Whenever there is a cry for stricter gun control, the pro-gun crowd cries that no law would prevent gun violence. Now many of those same people think that a means to prevent attacks the like we saw in Manhattan on Halloween can be prevented by barring people with an olive complexion from conducting everyday commerce.
I think that we already do more than enough to stop this type of attack. The extremely small number that get through are not even on the radar of things that you need to protect yourself from on a daily basis.

This guy would have ran that truck into this crowd no matter what was done. I make the same statement about the Vegas shooting btw, some tragedies you are not going to prevent and we do a massive amount of work to prevent all the ones that we can.

We all know that Dim douchebags would have accused Home Depot of "racism" and "profiling" and probably turned the matter into a major scandal.

The ICE "See something. Say something" mantra is obvious bullshit because you are putting a loaded revolver to your head if you do.

John Miller, NYPD deputy commissioner of intelligence and counterterrorism, said: “We did extensive outreach to the truck rental business. We visited over 148 truck rental locations in this area. The industry has had a high level of awareness on this matter from the NYPD.” And “Miller said that if a company is suspicious of a would-be renter, they usually delay or simply deny a rental to let police investigate.”

Really? The companies deny rentals to suspicious characters? Is that so?

Here’s Sayfullo Saipov, the New York City truck jihad mass murderer:

Does he look like he could be a jihad terrorist? Certainly. But to acknowledge that would be to engage in racial profiling, and given the decidedly Islamic style of his facial hair (a hadith depicts Muhammad telling Muslims to trim their mustaches but not their beards, because the Jews and Christians trim their beards but not their mustaches), religious profiling, a manifestation of “Islamophobia,” as well.

Imagine now that you were the clerk at Home Depot when Saipov came in to rent his truck. You notice his beard, his demeanor, his overall appearance. The vehicular jihad attacks in London, Paris, Berlin, Brussels, Nice, Jerusalem, Ohio State University and so many other places flash across your mind. It occurs to you that the man standing before you wanting to rent a truck could be intending to mow down non-Muslim pedestrians with it. You may even have heard about the Islamic State’s directive to Muslims to use, for vehicular jihad attacks, exactly the kind of truck that Saipov wants to rent.
Oh I see, you are all into racial profiling. It is not like this is a white trailer trash gun toting God loving patriot, we know they are trouble, they need profiled, they deserve it for just living. Can't profile and can't assume just because a person wears the uniform of a terrorist that they are in fact a terrorist. They could come in and rent the truck in granny drag, then what?

So, what steps would you support to make this type of terror attack less likely?

Strick vetting.

From the op, miller some guy working against Terrorism in nyc claimed that they were working with the truck rental places so that the places could sort of keep an eye out, and either not rent and/or call the cops.

An absurd claim, in this day and age.

What we are doing is accepting terrorism as part of the new normal, as the cost of having high immigration over the last couple of decades and going forward.

I think that that is immoral.

I think that we already do more than enough to stop this type of attack. The extremely small number that get through are not even on the radar of things that you need to protect yourself from on a daily basis.

This guy would have ran that truck into this crowd no matter what was done. I make the same statement about the Vegas shooting btw, some tragedies you are not going to prevent and we do a massive amount of work to prevent all the ones that we can.

There was no reason for that guy to be in the country.

We all know that Dim douchebags would have accused Home Depot of "racism" and "profiling" and probably turned the matter into a major scandal.

The ICE "See something. Say something" mantra is obvious bullshit because you are putting a loaded revolver to your head if you do.

John Miller, NYPD deputy commissioner of intelligence and counterterrorism, said: “We did extensive outreach to the truck rental business. We visited over 148 truck rental locations in this area. The industry has had a high level of awareness on this matter from the NYPD.” And “Miller said that if a company is suspicious of a would-be renter, they usually delay or simply deny a rental to let police investigate.”

Does he look like he could be a jihad terrorist? Certainly. But to acknowledge that would be to engage in racial profiling, and given the decidedly Islamic style of his facial hair (a hadith depicts Muhammad telling Muslims to trim their mustaches but not their beards, because the Jews and Christians trim their beards but not their mustaches), religious profiling, a manifestation of “Islamophobia,” as well.

Imagine now that you were the clerk at Home Depot when Saipov came in to rent his truck. You notice his beard, his demeanor, his overall appearance. The vehicular jihad attacks in London, Paris, Berlin, Brussels, Nice, Jerusalem, Ohio State University and so many other places flash across your mind. It occurs to you that the man standing before you wanting to rent a truck could be intending to mow down non-Muslim pedestrians with it. You may even have heard about the Islamic State’s directive to Muslims to use, for vehicular jihad attacks, exactly the kind of truck that Saipov wants to rent.
Oh I see, you are all into racial profiling. It is not like this is a white trailer trash gun toting God loving patriot, we know they are trouble, they need profiled, they deserve it for just living. Can't profile and can't assume just because a person wears the uniform of a terrorist that they are in fact a terrorist. They could come in and rent the truck in granny drag, then what?

So, what steps would you support to make this type of terror attack less likely?

Strick vetting.

Won't catch people that haven't been caught before, or have not yet been radicalized.

The Boston bombers were children when they came over.

It's obvious that you hate Jews, and the term "antisemite" is commonly understood to mean someone who hates Jews.

I gues these Jews are anti semites as well.

The problem with war mongers here in the US....they still don't get it why Isis, al Qaeda and other terrorists groups came to existence and why they attack mostly countries that are involved in the middle east. If you don't understand the root problem and keep calling names and labeling all Muslims as terrorists, you are not helping anyone. Muslims suffered from the west's interference and also terrorism more than anybody else.....
Take for example Iraq, it had 0 terrorist groups, The US topples the regime and now we have millions displaced, millions killed, millions of refugees, thousands of terrorists, and dozens of terrorists groups.....Lybia, Syria, Afghanistan, ect...

Interesting.

Perhaps you could explain to all of us, why they were attacking our merchant
ships, beginning in 1797. Up to that point in time, the only country we
had squabbled with was England.

Those worthless, smelly, sweatin' sons-of-bitches have lived like this
for 2700 years.

I'll be happy to since i'm Moroccan and Morocco back then was a powerhouse in the area and controlled the mideternean, just like the US today that control most of the world and squash those that disagree with it. We used to intercept ships back then and we didn't discriminate, you either pay or else....Americans explained to the Moroccans that they are a new nation fighting for its independence and they are at war with the Brits (common enemy)....So Morocco did recognize the independence of the US and signed a treaty with them and became the first ally of the US ever and the first country in the world to recognize its independence, and the first building outisde of the US was built in tangier Morocco....and since then all American presidents renew the friendship and remind the world that Morocco the muslim country was the first to stand behind the US and offer its support, tilll today in the fight against terrorism.

So what's your take on all of this? you gonna call me names?

My take on it is simple. You didn't answer the question.

Our Merchant ships were being attacked and the crews held for ransom.

Why? What had we done?

Anxiously waiting for a reply

Back in the days when a superpower controlled a route you pay for a safe passage. Morocco was mistaking American ships for the British ones....when they found out they signed a treated recognize the US a sovereign nation and offered them an embassy in Tangiers.
Did i answer your question?

No. American fought 3 wars with the Barbary Pirates. At the start
Adams would pay the tribute. Jefferson built a fleet, put Stephen
Decater in charge, And the fleet, 8 Marines and 800 Arab Mercs
took out Tripoli, in 1805.

It happened then...it happened before and it is still happening today.
It's just a way of life for those animals. Always has been, Always will be.

Strick vetting.

Won't catch people that haven't been caught before, or have not yet been radicalized.

Maybe not but it will stop some. What's your answer? Let me guess, gun regulations.

And?

He represents a fraction of the terrorism that occurs - most of which is from HOMEGROWN radicalized people.

I actually agree that the immigration system needs an overhaul and one of the few things I can get behind with Trump is doing away with asinine lotteries and installing merit based immigration. This instance is not why such a system needs to be in place though - it simply makes sense to bring the best and brightest here.

Strick vetting.

Maybe not but it will stop some. What's your answer? Let me guess, gun regulations.
What is laughable is that you are using the EXACT same reasoning that gun control advocates use.

And?

He represents a fraction of the terrorism that occurs - most of which is from HOMEGROWN radicalized people.

I actually agree that the immigration system needs an overhaul and one of the few things I can get behind with Trump is doing away with asinine lotteries and installing merit based immigration. This instance is not why such a system needs to be in place though - it simply makes sense to bring the best and brightest here.

1. Building up the population that is mostly likely to become a "homegrown radicalized people" is a bad idea in itself.

1b and why do it? There is no benefit from Third World Immigration.

2. Terrorism is a problem that can easily grown. That IS growing. Discussing ways to prevent or even reverse that growth in the future, is one of the most responsible things we can do.

3. Bright and educated people can go bad to, or have kids that go bad. We should consider the culture of want a be immigrates and seriously consider if we want them in this country.

This woman was very educated. What did she add to this nation?

US Doctor Arrested in Michigan on FGM Charges

Strick vetting.

My answer? A ban on Third World Immigrants/muslims and that includes third worlders trying to immigrate from First world nations.

Strict vetting on First Worlders.

Strick vetting.

What is laughable is that you are using the EXACT same reasoning that gun control advocates use.

So, the argument is true in both cases. It is just a matter if the constitutional right of owning a gun overrides the danger. I hope there is no one that believes the amount of readily accessible guns does not lead to some deaths. In the case of allowing immigration of just about anyone it is like polio. Not all people will get polio so does that mean we don't do what we can to stop what we can?

Forum List

Back