What's wrong with firing squad?

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Oklahoma death row inmates appeal injection ruling - AOL.com

All this hoopla. And I have to agree with the inmates with it being now experimental. Electrocution would suck and so would the gas chamber. Hanging can be drawn out unless done right..like someone pulling the legs to snap the neck. So that leaves firing squad. Chest and head....you is DAID. No fuss, no muss.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
Amendment VIII
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
Hanging, electrocution, gas chamber and firing squad were once not considered cruel and unusual, not in the context of what the founding fathers and others after them considered cruel and unusual. Heck, electrocution and the gas chamber were developed as humane methods of execution, for their time.
The problem that arose with firing squads were the people doing the actual shooting, many had difficulty dealing with it before, during and after the fact.
Properly done hanging is probably still one of the fastest, least cruel ways to carry out an execution.

Firing Squad

(3 people in the US have been executed by firing squad since 1976) 2 states (all have lethal injection as primary method)
Oklahoma, Utah
Utah no longer offers the firing squad as an option, but would allow it only for inmates who chose this method prior to its elimination .

Oklahoma offers firing squad only if lethal injection and electrocution are found unconstitutional.

I would prefer firing squad. And I am pretty sure there are some out there that would not mind at all being behind the rifle.

Hell, I would volunteer to be the one holding the rifle on some situations. Like...child killers/rapists....and those who kill in the most horrendous ways (torture before killing their victims). Wouldn't bother me one iota to send them to hell.

Amendment VIII
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
A firing squad is neither cruel or unusual. The mandate is that the punishment be both cruel and unusual.

All this hoopla. And I have to agree with the inmates with it being now experimental. Electrocution would suck and so would the gas chamber. Hanging can be drawn out unless done right..like someone pulling the legs to snap the neck. So that leaves firing squad. Chest and head....you is DAID. No fuss, no muss.

I don't agree with the death penalty, but if it's going to be done, I don't see a problem with firing squad at all.

I am FOR the death penalty. I read stories on the news every day that make me stay firm in that belief.

Why not bring back the guillotine? Or seppuku?

There are plenty of ways to kill someone. Why not regress back to primitive barbarism? It appeals to the conservative in us after all.

Hmmm. No mistakes with a guillotine. Messy, but no mistakes.

Hmmm. No mistakes with a guillotine. Messy, but no mistakes.

France used it right up to the point they did away with the death penalty in 1981. The last PUBLIC execution by this method in France was in 1939.

EDIT to add: No mistakes unless you consider that innocent people have been put to death.

There is no way to tell how many of the over 1,000 people executed since 1976 may also have been innocent. Courts do not generally entertain claims of innocence when the defendant is dead. Defense attorneys move on to other cases where clients' lives can still be saved. Some cases with strong evidence of innocence include:
Carlos DeLuna Texas Conviction: 1983, Executed: 1989
Ruben Cantu Texas Convicted: 1985, Executed: 1993
Larry Griffin Missouri Conviction: 1981, Executed: 1995
Joseph O'Dell Virginia Conviction: 1986, Executed: 1997
David Spence Texas Conviction: 1984, Executed: 1997
Leo Jones Florida Convicted: 1981, Executed: 1998
Gary Graham Texas Convicted: 1981, Executed: 2000,
Claude Jones Texas Convicted 1989, Executed 2000
Cameron Willingham Texas Convicted: 1992, Executed: 2004
Troy Davis Georgia Convicted 1991 Executed 2011
Also Noted - Post-humous pardons and new information about people who may have been wrongfully executed prior to 1976.

Executed But Possibly Innocent Death Penalty Information Center

i do not support the death penalty the way it is used in the u.s. to make people plea bargain ....the we will take the death penalty off the table if you plead etc and so forth...

I would prefer firing squad. And I am pretty sure there are some out there that would not mind at all being behind the rifle.
I think that would depend on the condemned subject's crime and/or his social history.

I personally harbor more compassion toward a mouse in a spring trap than I would toward some human offenders. And I think publicly administered guillotine execution should be considered as punishment for some crimes, such as child molestation, sadistic premeditated murder, and some examples of forcible rape. I'm sure it would serve as a significant deterrent for such offenses.

I think the death penalty should be expanded to cover more crimes, but reserved for those convicted via DNA/video evidence or multiple reliable witnesses. But yes, firing squad would be so much more efficient. A couple of bullets doesn't cost anything compared to what they need to do for electrocution or lethal injection.

There is no way to tell how many of the over 1,000 people executed since 1976 may also have been innocent. Courts do not generally entertain claims of innocence when the defendant is dead. Defense attorneys move on to other cases where clients' lives can still be saved. Some cases with strong evidence of innocence include:
Carlos DeLuna Texas Conviction: 1983, Executed: 1989
Ruben Cantu Texas Convicted: 1985, Executed: 1993
Larry Griffin Missouri Conviction: 1981, Executed: 1995
Joseph O'Dell Virginia Conviction: 1986, Executed: 1997
David Spence Texas Conviction: 1984, Executed: 1997
Leo Jones Florida Convicted: 1981, Executed: 1998
Gary Graham Texas Convicted: 1981, Executed: 2000,
Claude Jones Texas Convicted 1989, Executed 2000
Cameron Willingham Texas Convicted: 1992, Executed: 2004
Troy Davis Georgia Convicted 1991 Executed 2011
Also Noted - Post-humous pardons and new information about people who may have been wrongfully executed prior to 1976.

Executed But Possibly Innocent Death Penalty Information Center

There have been three in recent years where DNA evidence exonerated men who were put to death. One of them I remember was in Texas. I can't remember their names at the moment though. They are not on that list I don't think.

Forum List

Back