What's your all-time favorite movie, and why?

Jon

The CPA
Mar 20, 2008
Fayetteville, AR
Mine would have to be Schindler's List, for several reasons.

First and foremost, this movie is about human compassion. It tells the true story of a man who went against his party and saved the lives of thousands of people. The raw human emotion portrayed through the character of Oskar Schindler is captivating, and I still can't watch this movie without tearing up at the end. When Schindler breaks down and starts crying over the many other lives he could have saved, I can't help myself. Liam Neeson is perfection in this role, as are Sir Ben Kingsley and Ralph Fiennes. Fiennes as Amon Goeth is, in my opinion, the best villain in movie history (yes, even better than Heath Ledger as The Joker). Goeth's complete disregard for human life is in direct constrast with Schindler's, and yet we still find a kink in Goeth's armor. He is attracted to a Jewish woman, in spite of his disgust for the Jewish race. Schindler and Goeth are able to coincide, in spite of their differences, and yet, Goeth is still a disgusting, vile monster.

This is by far Stephen Spielberg's crowning achievement. Forget E.T., Schindler's List is directoral perfection.

And, to top it all off, the montage at the end where the remaining Schindler Jews and the descendants of those who have passed is awe-inspiring. Even though there are no words spoken through the entire 10 minute sequence, I still watch it through until the end. I feel as if I owe it to those people to watch it through to the very end.

"I believe in America. America has made my fortune."

And with those words, a saga of epic proportions began. The Godfather Part I is the best film in the saga and of all time for several reasons.

1.) This movie is relevant may it be a hundred years ago or a hundred years from now. A story of family, betrayal, greed, power, and revenge. A cinema masterpiece and classic that cannot be touched. From the beginning with the innocent yet eventful wedding of Connie Corleone to Carlo Rizzi to the end that will simply wanting you to watch it again. The movie is 175 min (3 hours practically) rollercoaster in which the audience sees The Corleone Family rise, fall and yet rise from the ashes once again.

2.) An all cast that gives no weak performances. From Marlon Brando giving one of the best performances of his career as Don Vito Corleone, Al Pacino as Michael Corleone; the mild-mannered son who wants nothing to do with his father's business but is conflicted once his father is nearly taken out. Along with James Caan as the Hot-Headed Sonny Corleone, Robert Duvall as the Irish Consigliere Tom Hagen, and of course the son who is always trying to earn his father's respect; Fredo Corleone played by John Cazale.

Talia Shire also plays as Connie Corleone Rizzi playing a role that rivals her one in the Rocky series. Along with great performances by Diane Keaton as Kay Adams and Richard Castellano as Peter Clemenza.

3.) Perhaps what can be considered Francis Ford Coppola's shining moment as a Director and of course a soundtrack that people who have never even seen the movie to this day know. The Godfather theme (Speak Softly Love without the lyrics) is one of the most tunes in cinema history.

Anytime someone can get a good performance out of Keanu Reeves AND Winona Ryder in the same film, it's good direction.

:lol: True I suppose.

Dracula was Francis's best non Godfather film I think.

Gary Oldman as Dracula was perfect too.

But I do think he was a better director for GF Part I and II. Part III he was by far a better director in Dracula. Francis personally screwed with Part III which I didn't like.

Anytime someone can get a good performance out of Keanu Reeves AND Winona Ryder in the same film, it's good direction.
Getting a good performance out of Keanu deserves a nobel or something!:razz:
As for favorite as in ones I can watch over and over are probably Tombstone, Big Lebowski, Godfather 2,Pulp Fiction, and Vrigin Suicides. Best movie I have seen Schindler's List and Fargo!:tongue:

Now if you would of asked me when I was ten it would been Dirty Dancing,I have seen that movie more then any other!

Last edited:
I change my mind about my all time favourite movie depending upon my mod or indeed type of movie but the constant that I always come back to and watch again and again is, Once Upon A Time In America.I believe there are several different cuts of this movie, I have a version that lasts 220 mins and believe this is the longest available.

Beautifully acted by a stellar cast.
Beautiful score, it blows me away every time.
Fantastic attention to detail, the sets and costumes...wow.

yall are just newbies in movies...go back..way back....

white zombies...b/w classic

freaks...b/w classic

i really do not see how you can name just one movie.....

you got too many gendres

i really do not see how you can name just one movie..... you got too many gendres

That's true, and some of those that have already been named are great movies. Concerning The Godfather, Numbers 1 and 2 are combined and may still be available at the video stores. I believe it's called Godfather: The Epic. It takes 1 and 2 and puts them in proper sequence beginning at the beginning. It is really long, but if you like The Godfather story, it is worth the sitthru.

Now, although there are several movies that I like, one that I would watch again several times is Of Late I Think Of Cliffordville. It is an hour long story from The Twilight Zone, about an aging tycoon who is bored with "having" it, and longs for the times of "acquiring" it. He makes a pact with the Devil to return to his youthful times in his hometown of Cliffordville to begin all over again, knowing what he knows now, and begins to "acquire", his favorite game; although, nothing goes quite as he plans.

Another is Open Range, a western about a cattle baron and retribution. I also liked Outlaw Josey Wales, and First Blood.

Yeah, a favorite ALL TIME films is asking a bit much.

There are so many brilliant films out there and some films resonnate with us at one period in our lives better than they do years later.

I can tell you some films that blew me away when I first saw them though.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - this was the first moving pictures I ever saw. Not just the first movie, the first moving picture. I saw this animated film before I ever saw television.

Old Yellar - I wept like a baby as did every other kid in the theater.

Ben Hur - I was exactly the right age for this movie...I was about 8 or nine when I saw it.

Dr. Zhivago - A totally brilliant movie in every respect

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - This movie changed film and challenged just about everything that my generation ( a generation that grew up on Black hat white hat westerns) knew.

Swept Away --Warmuellars brilliant film about class and sex and politics. I think I probably took every GF I had in college to this film. I dumped girls who didn't understand it. That was most of them, BTW.

Godfather I and II (and III, but just to finish the story) Hey, it's a brilliant story done brilliantly.

Dogma -Okay, aside from being hilarious, it was actually a fairly deep movie. A tad tidied up at the end, I'll admit, but worthy of note, anyway...as was

Clerks -- Maybe, you have to understand New Jersey and that period of time to really understand why this film also makes my list.

Indie films -- There are just too damned many that are far too worthy to mention them all. Hell I can't remember then by name because I have a great memory but a passive memory, too. I just two movies, again, which are great examples:

....Big Fish - Which is an exploration of truth and fiction, father and son and is just one hell of a good tale

...The Station Agent -- which explores how and possibly why people who deperate need oather people so often end up alone.

I could probably wax poetic about hundreds of small films that I think make owning a VCR or DVD worth it, but as I said, my memory just doesn't really work that way.

Last edited:
yall are just newbies in movies...go back..way back....

white zombies...b/w classic

freaks...b/w classic

i really do not see how you can name just one movie.....

you got too many gendres

Trust me, I've seen more older films that people two generations older than I. None compare to Schindler's List.

"M" is a great movie. But Metropolis is definitely Lang's best work.

Big Fish - Which is an exploration of truth and fiction, father and son and is just one hell of a good tale

One of my favorite movies from the last ten years. I've read the book, and Tim Burton made an amazing move to the screen with this movie.

My all time fave movie is Forever Amber. I like the period it was set in,the costumes, and both main actors. Cornell Wilde and Linda Darnell. It was also apparenly way before it's time, and considered quite racy. I have the book also,but still have to read it. It is very looong.:tongue:

Another one I like is On A Clear Day,even though I can't stand Barbara Streisand. I remember watching this as a child and being intrigued by the subject matter.

Others I really like and watch everytime they are on are:

Eldorado,Big Jake,Sons of Katie Elder and McClintock-John Wayne

My Fave Wife, both versions -James Garner/Cary Grant

Leave Her to Heaven- Both versions Cornell Wilde,Patrick Duffy.

Sabrina- Both Versions Humphrey Bogart and Harrison ford.

The Man in the Iron Mask,The Aviator-Leonardo Dicapriio

The Three Musketeers -Disney version with Kiefer Sutherland and Charlie Sheen.

Last edited:
Silence of the Lambs
Kalifornia

Both have extremely hhigh creep factors that keep you glued to the screen.

Last Boyscout

It's funny as all hell.

Ok, so that's not "one".

Silence of the Lambs
Kalifornia

Both have extremely hhigh creep factors that keep you glued to the screen.

Last Boyscout

It's funny as all hell.

Ok, so that's not "one".

I forgot about Silence of the Lambs, the rest of the movies were nothing compared to the first!

Forum List

Back