When Newt mentioned going to the moon he was crazy, but when Obama mentioned goin to

This NASA, dip-shit?

Astrobiology Roadmap

A planet or planetary satellite is habitable if it can sustain life that originates there or if it sustains life that is carried to the object. The Astrobiology program seeks to expand our understanding of the most fundamental environmental requirements for habitability. However, in the near term, we must proceed with our current concepts regarding the requirements for habitability. That is, habitable environments must provide extended regions of liquid water, conditions favorable for the assembly of complex organic molecules, and energy sources to sustain metabolism. Habitability is not necessarily associated with a single specific environment; it can embrace a suite of environments that communicate through exchange of materials. The processes by which crucial biologically useful chemicals are carried to a planet and change its level of habitability can be explored through the fields of prebiotic chemistry and chemical evolution. A major long-range goal for astrobiology is to recognize habitability beyond the Solar System, independent of the presence of life, or to recognize habitability by detecting the presence of life

You're a glutton for punishment.

:lol: Yeah right. Whatever you need to tell yourself, Gramps. I've owned you, The T Bagee, Caveman and Conservatwit for the last 3 pages. Keep it up; you're amusing me to no end :rofl:

like most toddlers who don't understand anything but laugh none the less.

It's pretty simple really... Obama is a crazy black guy who happens to be President and he's a Democrat. Newt is a chubby old white guy who wants to be President. It isn't what he said, he said it while being "Republican".

A colony on the moon is going to be taking some pretty hard hits from radiation and the like, never mind the micro asteroids that would be around.

And.........as far as needing more computing power? Well, considering that you'd need redundant systems that are self sustainable, I don't think we've got the tech for that.

The space station is one thing, but a fully functioning colony on the moon is something else.

while those are certainly valid points, they are your opinion, at least in regarding the technological capabilites needing to be significantly increased.

Remember... we got to the moon and back with less computing power than the average cell phone has now.

Yeah........but I think the calculations for a sustainable biosphere are a bit more complicated than simple trajectory.

Oh yeah........nobody has created a sustainable biosphere yet either.

you're talking about a biosphere. The resty of the world is talking about a habitation.

There is no real difference between the ISS, and a moon base, other than the moon base would, you know... be on the moon. The technologies are essentially the same.

How long has the ISS been continually manned now?

Can We Live On The Moon | NASA's mission: Can we live on the moon? - Los Angeles Times

This time, we're not just going for a walkabout or to hit golf balls and cruise around in a $10-million moon buggy, as the Apollo astronauts did. Ultimately, we hope to pack up the kids and the dog and move in.

"We're going to provide NASA with what is needed to get human beings back to the moon and to stay there for an extended duration," said Craig Tooley, project manager for the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, one part of the two-pronged mission.

Self-deployable advanced lunar habitat | Lunar Science Forum 2011
Inhabiting the Moon was a dream barely touched in the past. Nowadays the likely evolution of the Space sector is showing human spaceflight as the next challenge to develop, this time through both public and private approaches. Beyond the International Space Station, developing advanced habitats in other celestial bodies becomes the next crucial aspect for the human presence in Space. Furthermore, this area of study is directly connected to some of the challenges down on Earth.

This proposal presents a preliminary study for a self-deployable habitat on the lunar surface, with a feasible approach and a potential application for analogs. To do so, and using only current technology, we develop an innovative architectural design while addressing the complexity of its deployment.

Taking into account all the constraints of the harsh lunar environment, we highlight two major requirements: How could we protect the crew against radiation in a realistic way? How could we address the limitations of volume and weight of a single current launcher? To deal with these questions, the concept proposes a long-term habitat for a crew of six people that is protected by a layer of 3 meters of regolith. To use this material, a simple and automatic approach is implemented. Hence, the development takes also into account design, construction, and operational aspects of a self-deployable habitat.
Future lunar settlements will require temporary solutions to build upon. These are a major step-stone towards a context to study, inhabit and make use of our Moon in a sustainable way.
gee...lookie there, meatwad... NASA, talking about habitats on the moon. ANd what does one DO with a habitat? Why, one inhabits it.

You may now go fuck yourself

http://academy.msfc.nasa.gov/2005/files/lgfinalrpt.doc
. To accomplish these goals, humans plan to inhabit the Moon in order to learn about the environment and become capable of going to Mars.

NASA - The LRO/LCROSS Flight to the Moon
For instance, finding safe landing sites, life sustaining elements, developing new technology and understanding the impact radiation could have on the humans that will someday inhabit the bleak moonscape.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20100000019_2009045128.pdf
With the new initiative to inhabit the Moon, wheels will be needed for exploration, construction, and other surface operations

Boy... for not being able to inhabit the moon, NASA seems to use the word inhabit quite a bit.

ou hear that sound, JosefK? It's the sound of NASA, butt-fucking your ass for stupidity.

Mars he was applauded. What gives?

It makes more sense to explore Mars. There's nothing on the moon worth the time and money.

Explore the planet Mars with realistic Mars habitats, rockets, ground cars and robots

This is cool to look at.

But then, you just wanted to post that image..

+ rep. You got me

But there is tons of money to be made mining the moon. For real

NASA estimates it will cost a bout a million dollars a minute on the surface of the moon according to a show I watched recently.

Here is an article about the costs:

The Cost Of Space Exploration - Forbes.com

Highly doubtful anything but a government funded enterprise will get us there or to Mars.

Much more important to go to Mars than the moon.

This NASA, dip-shit?

Astrobiology Roadmap

A planet or planetary satellite is habitable if it can sustain life that originates there or if it sustains life that is carried to the object. The Astrobiology program seeks to expand our understanding of the most fundamental environmental requirements for habitability. However, in the near term, we must proceed with our current concepts regarding the requirements for habitability. That is, habitable environments must provide extended regions of liquid water, conditions favorable for the assembly of complex organic molecules, and energy sources to sustain metabolism. Habitability is not necessarily associated with a single specific environment; it can embrace a suite of environments that communicate through exchange of materials. The processes by which crucial biologically useful chemicals are carried to a planet and change its level of habitability can be explored through the fields of prebiotic chemistry and chemical evolution. A major long-range goal for astrobiology is to recognize habitability beyond the Solar System, independent of the presence of life, or to recognize habitability by detecting the presence of life

You're a glutton for punishment.

:lol: Yeah right. Whatever you need to tell yourself, Gramps. I've owned you, The T Bagee, Caveman and Conservatwit for the last 3 pages. Keep it up; you're amusing me to no end :rofl:

The notion of mining is intriguing however, mining the Moon is something that we probably won't be able to do until mid-this-century if even then. I don't know where they get these ideas for mining colonies. Too much Star Wars I guess.

Colonization of the MOON in 8 years?!?
C'mon people...is this even a topic of discussion?
Cant we just say Newt is full of shit on that one and move on?

Mars he was applauded. What gives?

Matt-McInnesKSspace3.jpg

1) Newt IS crazy.
2) Going to mars, long term, is a good idea

That should answer your question.

Yeah, no shit, Sherlock. But that doesn't mean that Mars is habitable; and like I said, Obama never claimed that Mars is habitable. :lol:

Well if all you're interested in is parcing words and not discussing the ACTUAL IDEA AND RESULTS OF SAID IDEA, its my turn.

Newt didn't say the moon was habitable. He said we should colonize it.

Two different words, same basic meaning. Same damn thing we would have to do to goto mars. Now just stop dude. I had a bit of respect for you but you're blowing it with this stupidity.

Bottom line, unless private industry steps up to the plate neither GOOD ideas will happen as we can't afford it. Especially since Obama just cut NASAs budget. ( understandably so)

Just stop dude, you look foolish

I never claimed that Newt said the Moon is habitable. I don't think he's that stupid. You, Daveman and The T are the ones claiming that the Moon is habitable. Get it straight, Gramps, before you look even more foolish than you already do.
The moon is only slightly less habitable that Antarctica.

Yeah, my point is that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. I can live in a space station floating in the earth's orbit, but that doesn't make space habitable. In order for a planet or moon to be habitable, it requires liquid water and an atmosphere that can sustain life. ARtificial atmospheres don't make a planet habitable.

I can't believe that you're actually arguing over this. :lol::lol::lol:
It has been discovered that there are huge reservoirs of almost pure water in lunar polar craters. Equipment to mine it has been design-awarded by NASA.

So? Does the Moon have oxygen? No, it doesn't; therefore, the moon is not habitable.
Of course the moon has oxygen, you twit. It just has to be released from the material it's bound in.

But that's too HAAAAARD!!

Come on guys. It's "liberal" scientists who would be inventing the technology that would take us wherever we go in space. Republicans don't believe in education. They think science is a faith. Until they can "prove" that magical creation has some basis in science, they should stay out of the discussion. Everything they touch turns to shit. A space mission involving Republicans would be just another Republican disaster.

I've read this thread, and it's the left who are claiming colonizing the moon can't be done, and it's the right who are saying it can and should be done.

Apparently, the left hates science.

I guess JosefK couldn't take the anal pounding that NASA gave him on his 'the moon cannot be inhabited' nonsense, so he fled the thread :rofl:

That's what happens when you confuse the idea of inhabiting a body as is with no technology involved, and inhabiting a body using technology.

Facts are your friends, meatwad. Learn to use them.

And to think I repped you + earlier today sailor. No thanks for it and then you insult me and when proven wrong you don't even correct yourself.

Guess I should have known better.

By the way, you still haven't provided the link he asked for.

:lmao:

You are too trusting. Actually thinking liberals can honest and true to principle.

You are talking about liberals staying true to principle? :lol:

Well if all you're interested in is parcing words and not discussing the ACTUAL IDEA AND RESULTS OF SAID IDEA, its my turn.

Newt didn't say the moon was habitable. He said we should colonize it.

Two different words, same basic meaning. Same damn thing we would have to do to goto mars. Now just stop dude. I had a bit of respect for you but you're blowing it with this stupidity.

Bottom line, unless private industry steps up to the plate neither GOOD ideas will happen as we can't afford it. Especially since Obama just cut NASAs budget. ( understandably so)

Just stop dude, you look foolish

I never claimed that Newt said the Moon is habitable. I don't think he's that stupid. You, Daveman and The T are the ones claiming that the Moon is habitable. Get it straight, Gramps, before you look even more foolish than you already do.
The moon is only slightly less habitable that Antarctica.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I guess JosefK couldn't take the anal pounding that NASA gave him on his 'the moon cannot be inhabited' nonsense, so he fled the thread :rofl:

That's what happens when you confuse the idea of inhabiting a body as is with no technology involved, and inhabiting a body using technology.

Facts are your friends, meatwad. Learn to use them.

Actually, Twit, I have a life. Unlike your sorry ass, I don't spend every waking moment whining on USMB. The only thing you have proven is that you are extremely stupid. NASA saying that man can inhabit the Moon in a man-made structure is entirely different than saying the Moon is considered habitable. Read it again, Twit:

Astrobiology Roadmap

Forum List

Back