Where does Tyson stand among the best heavies

Larry Holmes was the boxing equivalent of Chrissy Evert. He beat people up but never knocked anyone out (TKO's don't count

I don’t know about that…..Chrissy Evert had a mean left hook

People liked him for showing old school brutal boxing

In fact, there are no "best", these are performances that depend on politics. Ali called himself the best without any reason, he was not even the best in statistics.
In our time, boxing has turned into ballet, in heavyweight this degradation was started by Ali.
Modern tops will not even be able to stand against bullies in drinking bars, they don't judge by scores, you won't stand near the ropes, you can't hide in gloves and a fight rarely goes on for more than 3 minutes

Tyson was a great puncher, but overrated historically because of his great highlight reel. He never beat a great fighter in his prime. Once he lost his mental edge, he could be easily frustrated. Ali would have messed with Tyson's head so bad.
Buster Douglas, who lasted about three days in the Marines, got off the canvas to beat Mike Tyson.

Tyson was a great puncher, but overrated historically because of his great highlight reel. He never beat a great fighter in his prime. Once he lost his mental edge, he could be easily frustrated. Ali would have messed with Tyson's head so bad.
Buster Douglas, who lasted about three days in the Marines, got off the canvas to beat Mike Tyson.

I enjoyed watching Tyson fight more than Ali

He never beat the quality of opponents that Ali did, but when he fought….
He destroyed them

Tyson in his prime was brutal with quick hands. Once he lost his mother and Cus D’Amato, I think that took away the people who kept him focused and on task. He also suffers from the competition (or lack thereof) in his era. Not totally his fault, as you can only beat the boxers who are there. He didn’t have the rivalries that Ali, Foreman, Frazier, or the Spinks brothers had. The Klitschko brothers may suffer the same due to a lack of “name” heavyweights in their time at the top.

Tyson in his prime was brutal with quick hands. Once he lost his mother and Cus D’Amato, I think that took away the people who kept him focused and on task.
Tyson was a brutal boxer, but he didn't have really fast hands. When the hands are fast they are like a whip, and they turn off the light before the opponent falls. Foreman was even slower.

I had a case once, when I delivered a wonderful blow, I accelerated the speed of my hand with a sub-step, and did hook to the cheekbone. It was the most powerful blow in my life. I saw like in slow motion how the enemy slowly slid to his knees and got down on all fours. He did not fall, but slid down. This is about the same as a bullet. I broke my own hand, and he lay on the bed for 2 weeks. And he tore all his lips from a concussion, then he sewed them up.

Why don't we see these punches even among top and brutal boxers? Because these are performances.

At the last Olympiad, boxers only earned points. In karate guy was defeated for "hitting too hard"

Forum List

Back