Which direction is the economy actually heading? Up or down?

Except 38,000 added jobs doesn't cover what's needed a month, the previous two months were adjusted lower also and auto and credit card delinquency were at a low rate but increased in the first quarter. This is not a healthy economy by any stretch of the imagination.
Would you look at any single month with strong numbers for jobs added and declare it a sign of a strong economy? Of course not, we look at overall trends and I'm sure you know millions of jobs have been added. It has been a slow but steady improvement in the job situation. CC delinquencies have been on a downward trend for years, they are hardly something I'd look at and declare a negative sign for the economy: FRB: Charge-Off and Delinquency Rates on Loans and Leases at Commercial Banks

"Healthy" is too nebulous a term to really try to pin down whether an economy is or isn't. I'd still take the stance that this economy is meh.

Anemic is a far better word to describe this economy. You mentioned CC delinquency first but since you discovered it didn't suit your agenda now you say it's something you hardly look at? LOL

You mentioned CC delinquency first but since you discovered it didn't suit your agenda now you say it's something you hardly look at? LOL
No, I said it wasn't something I'd look at to measure an economy. What agenda are you even talking about, that is the problem with partisan retards they are always angling to make something look a certain way. I have no agenda.

You want to look closely at CC delinquencies? They are at historical lows, is there an agenda you have that isn't comfortable with that?

You mentioned CC delinquency first but since you discovered it didn't suit your agenda now you say it's something you hardly look at? LOL
No, I said it wasn't something I'd look at to measure an economy. What agenda are you even talking about, that is the problem with partisan retards they are always angling to make something look a certain way. I have no agenda.

You want to look closely at CC delinquencies? They are at historical lows, is there an agenda you have that isn't comfortable with that?

Look noob, start with your middle school BS and I'll send you to ignore. Makes no difference to me, it's obvious you're clueless anyway

Look noob, start with your middle school BS and I'll send you to ignore. Makes no difference to me, it's obvious you're clueless anyway
Put me on ignore, I couldn't care less. It sounds to me like you got in over your head trying to talk about things which you're clueless about.

CC delinqs are here: FRB: Charge-Off and Delinquency Rates on Loans and Leases at Commercial Banks

2016 Q1 = 2.15
2015 Q4 = 2.16
2014 Q1 = 2.32
2013 Q1 = 2.65
2012 Q1 = 3.08
2011 Q1 = 3.85
2010 Q1 = 5.84
2009 Q1 = 6.59
2008 Q1 = 4.81
2007 Q1 = 3.98
2006 Q1 = 3.83
2005 Q1 = 3.66
2004 Q1 = 4.15
2003 Q1 = 4.63

That is historical lows, there is nothing on that chart which approaches it. You're accusing me of dismissing this data, yet here it is does it show what you want? You can ignore me all you want I'll reply to every post you make that is BS and make you look like a fool, whether you read it or not. I've got no agenda, it appears you're the one bristling at information that doesn't suit your worldview.

Put me on ignore, I couldn't care less. It sounds to me like you got in over your head trying to talk about things which you're clueless about.

CC delinqs are here: FRB: Charge-Off and Delinquency Rates on Loans and Leases at Commercial Banks

2016 Q1 = 2.15
2015 Q4 = 2.16
2014 Q1 = 2.32
2013 Q1 = 2.65
2012 Q1 = 3.08
2011 Q1 = 3.85
2010 Q1 = 5.84
2009 Q1 = 6.59
2008 Q1 = 4.81
2007 Q1 = 3.98
2006 Q1 = 3.83
2005 Q1 = 3.66
2004 Q1 = 4.15
2003 Q1 = 4.63

That is historical lows, there is nothing on that chart which approaches it. You're accusing me of dismissing this data, yet here it is does it show what you want? You can ignore me all you want I'll reply to every post you make that is BS and make you look like a fool, whether you read it or not. I've got no agenda, it appears you're the one bristling at information that doesn't suit your worldview.
She has had me on ignore for about a half of a year now, yet the smelly turd still responds to all of my posts. How is that possible? LOL.

If there are millions of jobs available, and unemployment is at 5% or less, job creation will naturally be very low as companies compete for the few skilled workers.

She has had me on ignore for about a half of a year now, yet the smelly turd still responds to all of my posts. How is that possible? LOL.
I must admit the implied threat surprised me, does that person honestly think whether they choose to interact with me is an important factor in my enjoyment of this forum? Like I'm going to careful moderate my content so that I don't suffer the terrible fate of a single poster putting me on ignore. Hilarious.

If there are millions of jobs available, and unemployment is at 5% or less, job creation will naturally be very low as companies compete for the few skilled workers.

Labor%20Participation%205%2016%202016_zpsv8cy7m75.jpg

2016 Q1 = 2.15
2015 Q4 = 2.16
2014 Q1 = 2.32
2013 Q1 = 2.65
2012 Q1 = 3.08
2011 Q1 = 3.85
2010 Q1 = 5.84
2009 Q1 = 6.59
2008 Q1 = 4.81
2007 Q1 = 3.98
2006 Q1 = 3.83
2005 Q1 = 3.66
2004 Q1 = 4.15
2003 Q1 = 4.63

That indicates only that AFTER the mortgage/financial/housing collapse, standards, for a short will, have returned to pre-2000 loan requirements.

What you should be watching is the next bubble to burst. That will be the student loan bubble. Students owe over $1.2 TRILLION. The problem is that many of those students end up with tens of thousands of debt and do not complete their education or obtain a degree in a field which does not allow them the income to pay off the loan.

General student loan debt facts
First, let’s start with a general picture of the student loan debt landscape. The most recent reports indicate there is:

• $1.23 trillion in total U.S. student loan debt
  • 43.3 million Americans with student loan debt
  • Student loan delinquency rate of 11.6%
Read more: U.S. Student Loan Debt Statistics for 2016 | Student Loan Hero

Last edited:
Despite the far left propaganda here:

Direction of Country

The people think the country is moving in the wrong direction..

And this will defeat all far left propaganda:

latest_numbers_LNS11300000_2006_2016_all_period_M05_data.gif

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

Nonsense. Complete nonsense. You have to have some understanding of the scale of the problem. Not nearly big enough to be a real bubble. But nice try.
"The growth of student loans is quite important, and in some sense, if anything, that's the only similarity to the mortgage crisis," says Roger Aliaga-Diaz, a principal and senior economist at Vanguard Investment Strategy Group. "The mortgage crisis then was growing at about the same rate per year, but that's pretty much where the similarities end."

One important distinction between the two, Aliaga-Diaz says, is that the size of the problems are completely different. At the peak of the housing crisis, mortgage debt represented nearly two-thirds of the country's gross domestic product, whereas student loan debt makes up about 7 percent.

That's not to say, however, that student loan debt isn't putting a drag on the economy in some ways. The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau last year analyzed more than 28,000 public comments, finding the rising amount of student loan debt can have a "domino effect" on society. Student loan borrowers are less likely to save for retirement, take out home and auto loans or start a business, the report found.

[ALSO: Obama Sidesteps Congress to Expand Student Loan Repayment Program]

Still, student loan debt is much smaller in scale than mortgage debt. The average student loan debt, depending on who's calculating, can run anywhere from $25,000 to nearly $30,000. While Vanguard's calculations put the average student debt balance at $25,000, that amount is much smaller than the average mortgage debt in 2007: $93,000.

The average monthly payments toward a mortgage also made up a larger percentage of a person's income at 36 percent in 2007, compared with 4 percent for those paying back student loan debt. More student loan borrowers are also enrolling in income-based repayment plans, according to the latest data from the Department of Education. About 4 percent of borrowers are enrolled in the Income-Based Repayment plan, while 0.7 percent (about 260,000 individuals) are enrolled in the Pay As You Earn program. That's up from 2.4 percent and 0.1 percent, respectively, at this time last year.

There are also far fewer student loan borrowers than mortgage borrowers (98 million versus 40 million) and fewer backed securities riding on student loans, Aliaga-Diaz says. And unlike those with mortgages, student loan borrowers can't walk away from their payment obligations. If mortgage payments become too much to handle, the borrowers have the option of foreclosure, through which banks can't pursue them for remaining payments. Student loan borrowers would have to file for bankruptcy to have their debt forgiven, which is more difficult to do.

So while the student debt crisis is nothing to sneeze at, it's not putting the country in danger of a systemic crisis, he says.

"It's far from comparable," Aliaga-Diaz says. "That's basically the biggest misconception with this, whether it's a drain on the economy or not."

Generally, loans can be good for the economy, Aliaga-Diaz explains. And while student loan debt might have a slight impact on the housing market, the benefit of earning a college degree – even with debt – is better than having no degree.
Why Student Debt Won't Cause the Economy to Collapse

The political battle is between dems and republicans, with Obama going around congress to get relief for students in paying back loans.

Neither, it's relatively flat with barely upward creep,

Really slow economic expansion, slow steady improvements in employment situation, consumer numbers like cc delinqs have fallen.

Partisan ideologues on either side scream dramatic rise/drop, truth is exactly in the middle.

Except 38,000 added jobs doesn't cover what's needed a month, the previous two months were adjusted lower also and auto and credit card delinquency were at a low rate but increased in the first quarter. This is not a healthy economy by any stretch of the imagination.

Really slow economic expansion, slow steady improvements in employment situation, consumer numbers like cc delinqs have fallen.

Partisan ideologues on either side scream dramatic rise/drop, truth is exactly in the middle.

So, I assume you must have liked the republican numbers better, like when we were loosing 600,000 jobs per month. Got it.
Never, ever get excited about one months numbers. Especially when they first come out. They will change, as always, as the reports come in. Then, one month not high enough is still pretty good, considering that employers are not willing to pay well. That will change.

Despite the far left propaganda here:

Direction of Country

The people think the country is moving in the wrong direction..

And this will defeat all far left propaganda:

latest_numbers_LNS11300000_2006_2016_all_period_M05_data.gif

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

Nonsense. Complete nonsense. You have to have some understanding of the scale of the problem. Not nearly big enough to be a real bubble. But nice try.
"The growth of student loans is quite important, and in some sense, if anything, that's the only similarity to the mortgage crisis," says Roger Aliaga-Diaz, a principal and senior economist at Vanguard Investment Strategy Group. "The mortgage crisis then was growing at about the same rate per year, but that's pretty much where the similarities end."

One important distinction between the two, Aliaga-Diaz says, is that the size of the problems are completely different. At the peak of the housing crisis, mortgage debt represented nearly two-thirds of the country's gross domestic product, whereas student loan debt makes up about 7 percent.

That's not to say, however, that student loan debt isn't putting a drag on the economy in some ways. The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau last year analyzed more than 28,000 public comments, finding the rising amount of student loan debt can have a "domino effect" on society. Student loan borrowers are less likely to save for retirement, take out home and auto loans or start a business, the report found.

[ALSO: Obama Sidesteps Congress to Expand Student Loan Repayment Program]

Still, student loan debt is much smaller in scale than mortgage debt. The average student loan debt, depending on who's calculating, can run anywhere from $25,000 to nearly $30,000. While Vanguard's calculations put the average student debt balance at $25,000, that amount is much smaller than the average mortgage debt in 2007: $93,000.

The average monthly payments toward a mortgage also made up a larger percentage of a person's income at 36 percent in 2007, compared with 4 percent for those paying back student loan debt. More student loan borrowers are also enrolling in income-based repayment plans, according to the latest data from the Department of Education. About 4 percent of borrowers are enrolled in the Income-Based Repayment plan, while 0.7 percent (about 260,000 individuals) are enrolled in the Pay As You Earn program. That's up from 2.4 percent and 0.1 percent, respectively, at this time last year.

There are also far fewer student loan borrowers than mortgage borrowers (98 million versus 40 million) and fewer backed securities riding on student loans, Aliaga-Diaz says. And unlike those with mortgages, student loan borrowers can't walk away from their payment obligations. If mortgage payments become too much to handle, the borrowers have the option of foreclosure, through which banks can't pursue them for remaining payments. Student loan borrowers would have to file for bankruptcy to have their debt forgiven, which is more difficult to do.

So while the student debt crisis is nothing to sneeze at, it's not putting the country in danger of a systemic crisis, he says.

"It's far from comparable," Aliaga-Diaz says. "That's basically the biggest misconception with this, whether it's a drain on the economy or not."

Generally, loans can be good for the economy, Aliaga-Diaz explains. And while student loan debt might have a slight impact on the housing market, the benefit of earning a college degree – even with debt – is better than having no degree.
Why Student Debt Won't Cause the Economy to Collapse

The political battle is between dems and republicans, with Obama going around congress to get relief for students in paying back loans.

You need to hit the quote button on the right poster!

Less than 5% unemployment. 5.8 million jobs available for those with skills.

And Republican morons call this failure.

It isn't a lack of skills. It's because they don't want to pay. But do you know what is going to be sold next and you will grovel in your support of?

Another far left drone failed post!

unit_labor_costs_chart.png

Labor Costs | Assess Costs Everywhere

Pay attention.

You should!

AS I just trumped your far left BS with actual facts!

You didn't turn anything anywhere clown.

Of course I did, being a far left drone, you can not admit when you are wrong!

I look at things with a pragmatic view. I made a small fortune in the Stock Market and retired before I gave it back. The Market comes in and goes out like the tide and timing is critical (market trending). I never went to college or read Stock Market for Dummies and I think the bubble will deflate in the least but not necessarily burst in the near future.

[/QUOTE] [/QUOTE]

I would say it is quite flat.

Con tools just wait for someone to tell them what to believe. So they find a statistic and call it proof of a failure of democrats, somehow. Truth is of no concern to con tools. Their agenda is all that matters to them. Sad bunch, con tools. For most, it would be a sad, sad, painful life. For con tools, the only thing that matters is what they have been told to believe. Because they never consider the evidence, since it would prove them wrong. And what they have been told to believe is all they have, except for completely partial sources of information which helps cement their ignorance.

If you can't find the employees, you can't add the jobs. You can't get any more clear.

So, I assume you must have liked the republican numbers better, like when we were loosing 600,000 jobs per month. Got it.
Never, ever get excited about one months numbers. Especially when they first come out. They will change, as always, as the reports come in. Then, one month not high enough is still pretty good, considering that employers are not willing to pay well. That will change.

Lame Duck President Barack Hussein Obama, FIRST president in history to not have a single year with a growth rate above 3% for his entire two terms. Utter failure and shared misery for one and all!

You can't look at any single month of job additions to declare the state of the job market or the economy. Would it make sense to you if every time there was a month of big job gains (and there have been many) we decide the economy is great? Of course not.

I have no idea what you're talking about with cc delinquencies, they can be found here:
FRB: Charge-Off and Delinquency Rates on Loans and Leases at Commercial Banks

Q4 2015 = 2.16
Q1 2016 = 2.15

That is not an increase, and either way if using CC delinquencies as a barometer they still measure at historic lows. It takes serious leap of logic to twist that into a negative sign for the economy.

Forum List

Back