White Men Beat Black Girl (video)

And you're not getting this. If the citizens arrest is ruled illegal the woman might have just self defense cause for biting the guy who tackled her, sat on top of her and refused to abate.

As I said, I'm not making any value judgements just making legal observations.

This guy better hope he has bite marks and a medical report confirming so. If not, a jury might not look kindly on him punching her in the face 3 times.

Certainly bite marks and a medical report would help. Having a video of the assailant biting the good samaritan is pretty good evidence as well. Actually, I would say it's even BETTER evidence since one couldn't argue the origin of the teeth marks.

If you're going to be a "good samaritan" and effect a citizens arrest, anywhere in the country, you'd better be versed in the law of that state because they vary, some allow misdemeanors, others like Michigan it has to be a felony.

I doubt the state will press charges on these men but a civil suit is always a possibility.

No jury in their right mind would convict these guys for restraining a thief. But we are talking about folks in Michigan, so who knows.

I'm not an expert on these things but I think you might be confusing shop lifting with purse snatching. From what little research I did, it seem purse snatching in itself is a felony, no matter the contents of the purse. Maybe because it is seen as a violent act?

Man charged in purse snatching from woman, 82

Police: 1 held after snatching purse from elderly woman on North Michigan Avenue - Chicago Tribune

There is not enough info in these links to determine if the larceny involved elevated simple theft or robbery to a felony. If the person says "give me your purse or I'll kill you", that is a felony. If the person was armed, that is a felony. But simple larceny or theft less then $1000 in Michigan is defined as a misdemeanor.

I'm just wondering if purse snatching is considered larceny or theft as opposed to a class 4 felony. Of course (according to the video) that fact that somebody was hurt due to the crime being committed (the woman would not have tripped on the sidewalk if not chasing the purse snatcher) then the purse snatching crime becomes more serious than a misdemeanor. I'm guessing. Anyway, I don't think there is a court in the world that would prosecute these guys. In terms of a civil lawsuit, I just don't see it happening unless the purse snatcher is dumber than her crime would imply.

Yet a jury might consider the sanity or common sense of pursuing a criminal who one might not know is armed, for the property involved. By her own admission the victim claims there was only a camera and lipstick in the purse...no cash, no credit cards, no identification, no check book, no Iphone. A jury might conclude the decision to pursue a perp based on only a camera (valued at $50) and lipstick to be rash decision on the victims part and not a reasonable decision of a reasonable person.

There is nothing in the evidence that we've seen to indicate the perp used a threat of violence to effect the larceny. Little things like that are important to the law and how it is adjudicated.

Last edited:
Certainly bite marks and a medical report would help. Having a video of the assailant biting the good samaritan is pretty good evidence as well. Actually, I would say it's even BETTER evidence since one couldn't argue the origin of the teeth marks.

If you're going to be a "good samaritan" and effect a citizens arrest, anywhere in the country, you'd better be versed in the law of that state because they vary, some allow misdemeanors, others like Michigan it has to be a felony.

I doubt the state will press charges on these men but a civil suit is always a possibility.

No jury in their right mind would convict these guys for restraining a thief. But we are talking about folks in Michigan, so who knows.

You don't like Michigan? That's a broad brush...

Last edited:
There is not enough info in these links to determine if the larceny involved elevated simple theft or robbery to a felony. If the person says "give me your purse or I'll kill you", that is a felony. If the person was armed, that is a felony. But simple larceny or theft less then $1000 in Michigan is defined as a misdemeanor.

I'm just wondering if purse snatching is considered larceny or theft as opposed to a class 4 felony. Of course (according to the video) that fact that somebody was hurt due to the crime being committed (the woman would not have tripped on the sidewalk if not chasing the purse snatcher) then the purse snatching crime becomes more serious than a misdemeanor. I'm guessing. Anyway, I don't think there is a court in the world that would prosecute these guys. In terms of a civil lawsuit, I just don't see it happening unless the purse snatcher is dumber than her crime would imply.

Yet a jury might consider the sanity or common sense of pursuing a criminal who one might not know is armed, for the property involved. By her own admission the victim claims there was only a camera and lipstick in the purse...no cash, no credit cards, no identification, no check book. A jury might conclude the decision to pursue a perp based on only a camera 9valued at $50) and lipstick to be rash decision on the victims part on not a reasonable decision of a reasonable person.

There is nothing in the evidence that we've seen to indicate the perp used a threat of violence to effect the larceny. Little things like that are important to the law and how it is adjudicated.

Link to the value of the woman's camera.

I didn't see it anywhere in the article.

I'm not an expert on these things but I think you might be confusing shop lifting with purse snatching. From what little research I did, it seem purse snatching in itself is a felony, no matter the contents of the purse. Maybe because it is seen as a violent act?

Police: 1 held after snatching purse from elderly woman on North Michigan Avenue - Chicago Tribune

If the 3 guys effected a citizens arrest in Michigan on a crime that was not a felony, the citizens arrest protection is invalidated. The 3 guys could be prosecuted for assault and battery and a civil suit might be considered.

Yet a jury might consider the sanity or common sense of pursuing a criminal who one might not know is armed, for the property involved. By her own admission the victim claims there was only a camera and lipstick in the purse...no cash, no credit cards, no identification, no check book. A jury might conclude the decision to pursue a perp based on only a camera 9valued at $50) and lipstick to be rash decision on the victims part on not a reasonable decision of a reasonable person.

Because unlike you I researched the incident to be fairly accurate in my postings.

The victim claimed there was nothing in her purse except a $50 camera and some personal effects like lipstick

She should have just kept her mouth shut.

The woman whose purse she stole was knocked down. Doesn't that make it assault also?

Well, she claims she was knocked down but I'm not convinced. The victim states the purse was sitting on the table where she was having lunch with her daughter when the perp drove by on her bike and snatched up the purse. Based on the pics I've seen of the woman on the ground (I assume that is where she landed and waited for EMT to arrive) it looks like they were sitting at a table behind a wrought iron fence and when the purse was snatched up she rose from her chair and lunged at the perp and/or her purse, falling over the fence.

If a purse snatcher grabs your purse and you pursue them and end of tripping and falling on the pavement, is that assault?

That might be up to a jury to decide.

If someone dies in during the commission of a crime, all those responsible for the crime are charged with murder. Why wouldn't assault be the same? IE, the victim was hurt BECAUSE her purse was stolen. Had the perp not stolen the purse, the victim would not have been hurt.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got prosecuted. We live in a sick world. Where people defend a purse snatcher and want the people who stopped her to go to jail.

Last edited:

Because unlike you I researched the incident to be fairly accurate in my postings.

The victim claimed there was nothing in her purse except a $50 camera and some personal effects like lipstick

So no link?

I'm supposed to take the word of a liberal? A group that is famous for lying?

I wouldn't be surprised if they got prosecuted. We live in a sick world. Where people defend a purse snatcher and what the people who stopped her to go to jail.

The state has indicated they aren't going to pursue charges against the 3 men, so stop your hysteria and crocodile tears.

My comments relate to the possibility of a civil suit.

So no link?

I'm not a liberal. You see anyone who disagrees with you as a liberal.

What a small, confined world you live in.

So no link?

I'm not a liberal. You see anyone who disagrees with you as a liberal.

What a small, confined world you live in.

You're every bit of a liberal even though you're too ashamed to admit it.

Now tell me a lie. Did you vote for Obama?

White Men Beat Black Girl

One, what does race have to do with it?

Two, are you suggesting thieves should not be stopped from carrying out their crimes?

Three, are you suggesting that if a thief attacks (bites) a citizen holding them for the cops, that the citizen should not strike back until the attack stops?

Stated differently, what the fuck are you suggesting???

I wonder if the good samaritans would be convicted before or after they got a key to the city and a commendation from the police force.

White folks fight back...it was only a matter of time.

She bit the guy, assault...he punched her to make her let go her teeth from his arm.

Would I have gotten involved, grabbed the girl, forced her to the ground, ...maybe been spat on, bitten, stabbed, shot, sued, over a handbag?
Nah.

Probably best not to carry a handbag these days.
Of if carrying one, carry nothing of any value in it...then just let the thief take it and run.

. hairbrush, makeup purse, reading glasses, tissues.

ATM card/credit card, cash, phone...carry on person

Good Samaritans have been murdered, or beaten to a pulp...................and sued.

Last edited:
My mother had her purse snatched a few years ago. As she was hanging onto her purse the strap broke and made her fall to the ground and break her finger. A few days later my father had noticed that their information had been hacked into. Several thousand dollars were taken out of their bank account but luckily the bank replaced the money. As new charges were adding up my parents had to spend hours on the phone answering questions and setting up a new bank account. Keep in mind that my parents are in their 80's. This was not easy for them as they both have medical problems.
My parents were also afraid that the purse snatcher would break into their house since he had their address. On top of all of this, the emotional turmoil that comes from being personally invaded took it's toll. My mother cried more than once since this attack.
I have no sympathy for purse snatchers to put it mildly.

Last edited:
White folks fight back...it was only a matter of time.

She bit the guy, assault...he punched her to make her let go her teeth from his arm.

Would I have gotten involved, grabbed the girl, forced her to the ground, ...maybe been spat on, bitten, stabbed, shot, sued, over a handbag?
Nah.

Probably best not to carry a handbag these days.
Of if carrying one, carry nothing of any value in it...then just let the thief take it and run.

. hairbrush, makeup purse, reading glasses, tissues.

ATM card/credit card, cash, phone...carry on person

Good Samaritans have been murdered, or beaten to a pulp...................and sued.

And once again, the terrorists win. Someone steals your purse? It's your fault for carrying one. This world is really sick.

My mother had her purse snatched a few years ago. As she was hanging onto her purse the strap broke and made her fall to the ground and break her finger. A few days later my father had noticed that their information had been hacked into. Several thousand dollars were taken out of their bank account but luckily the bank replaced the money. As new charges were adding up my parents had to spend hours on the phone answering questions and setting up a new bank account. Keep in mind that my parents are in their 80's. This was not easy for them as they both have medical problems.
My parents were also afraid that the purse snatcher would break into their house since he had their address. On top of all of this, the emotional turmoil that comes from being personally invaded took it's toll. My mother cried more than once since this attack.
I have no sympathy for purse snatchers to put it mildly.

Me either, and I was in junior high when my purse was stolen, twice. If someone tries to steal my purse now, one of us is going down. I hope it's the thief.

Forum List

Back