Who are some of your favorite Major League Baseball shortstops, all-time?

I checked his career stats, wow! He had a lot of power for a shortstop, finishing with 229 career home runs. And he REALLY hit for a high batting average, finishing with a .313 lifetime average. And he won back to back batting titles, with blistering averages of .357 and .372! If he had played 2 or 3 more solid seasons, he most likely would've been a good bet for the Hall of Fame.

I checked his career stats, wow! He had a lot of power for a shortstop, finishing with 229 career home runs. And he REALLY hit for a high batting average, finishing with a .313 lifetime average. And he won back to back batting titles, with blistering averages of .357 and .372! If he had played 2 or 3 more solid seasons, he most likely would've been a good bet for the Hall of Fame.
Another Red Sox shortstop I really liked was Rico Petrocelli, who played in the 1960's and 70's. He was just an average hitter, .251 for his career, but he had a lot of power for a shortstop. He finished with 210 home runs, and hit 40 in one season, which at that time, I believe may have been only the second time in major league history a shortstop had done that. Ernie Banks was the first to do it. I'll check on this.

Another Red Sox shortstop I really liked was Rico Petrocelli, who played in the 1960's and 70's. He was just an average hitter, .251 for his career, but he had a lot of power for a shortstop. He finished with 210 home runs, and hit 40 in one season, which at that time, I believe may have been only the second time in major league history a shortstop had done that. Ernie Banks was the first to do it. I'll check on this.
I forgot about Alex Rodriguez! He was the third shortstop to hit 40 or more home runs in a season, and the 57 he hit one season is easily the most ever by a shortstop, topping Ernie Banks' previous record of 47. But Banks and Petrocelli were the first two to hit 40 or more in a season. And I believe Banks had at least one more 40 home run season and A-Rod had at least a couple more while playing shortstop.

I forgot about Alex Rodriguez! He was the third shortstop to hit 40 or more home runs in a season, and the 57 he hit one season is easily the most ever by a shortstop, topping Ernie Banks' previous record of 47. But Banks and Petrocelli were the first two to hit 40 or more in a season. And I believe Banks had at least one more 40 home run season and A-Rod had at least a couple more while playing shortstop.
Banks had FOUR other seasons of 40 or more home runs, and A-Rod had FIVE other seasons of 40 or more home runs as a shortstop. Wow!

Guess I missed this thread, but the answer's easy. It begins and ends with The Wizard. Cards got him for no less a personage than Gary Templeton, possibly the best trade that club ever made.

Pretty sure nobody has ever done this:

So proud of my homies. Here's a guy that spent years killing our rallies but when he comes to town for the All Star Game they're on their feet in appreciation for what he does. Even gets skin from the Phanatic.

Ozzie is my #2 favorite shortstop all-time, behind only Honus Wagner. And Ozzie is, of course, THE greatest defensive shortstop all-time. Thanks for the videos.

Hard to evaluate Honus Wagner
He was the best SS of his time but it was a different era. Dead ball, dead gloves, dead fields, no integration

Banks had FOUR other seasons of 40 or more home runs, and A-Rod had FIVE other seasons of 40 or more home runs as a shortstop. Wow!

Good call on Ernie Banks, he was an inspiration for his attitude alone. A-Rod was just an asshole.

I'd say of all the SSs named, "Rico Petrocelli" has the coolest name though. Alternating accents, love it.
Nomar Garciaparra is a respectable second. Maybe that's why the BoSox didn't put last names on the unis.

An all time great......Chico Escuela

1588349599757.png

Guess I missed this thread, but the answer's easy. It begins and ends with The Wizard. Cards got him for no less a personage than Gary Templeton, possibly the best trade that club ever made.

Pretty sure nobody has ever done this:

So proud of my homies. Here's a guy that spent years killing our rallies but when he comes to town for the All Star Game they're on their feet in appreciation for what he does. Even gets skin from the Phanatic.

Ozzie is my #2 favorite shortstop all-time, behind only Honus Wagner. And Ozzie is, of course, THE greatest defensive shortstop all-time. Thanks for the videos.

Pokey Reese.

Good call on Ernie Banks, he was an inspiration for his attitude alone. A-Rod was just an asshole.

I'd say of all the SSs named, "Rico Petrocelli" has the coolest name though. Alternating accents, love it.
Nomar Garciaparra is a respectable second. Maybe that's why the BoSox didn't put last names on the unis.
Except they do.

Except they do.

Ah, well this must be Roy Frickin' Sievers then

maxresdefault.jpg

Except they do.

Ah, well this must be Roy Frickin' Sievers then

maxresdefault.jpg
You're a stupid shit, aincha, boy?

Youth-Majestic-Boston-Red-Sox-5-Nomar-Garciaparra-Authentic-Grey-Road-Cool-Base-MLB-Jersey.jpg

Forum List

Back