🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Who are the "sons of God" in Genesis 6?

For some of us, "Angels" are a metaphor and we don't take them for actual entities we're likely to encounter, and even if we did we would think it a hallucination. As for the stories carried across the millennia by the Bible, they are very important and interesting and applicable in adding to knowledge. Our times match so poorly with those of thousands of years ago that the subtleties they would have had for our ancestors of the epoch are imperceptible to us. We have to admit to being incapable of the kind of understanding they might have had. We have to integrate old writings into what we have discovered about economics, politics, psychology, warfare, biology, linguistics...
One may have a sure and certain intimate conviction concerning a point and still allow that other perceptual centers/persons could have another.

Just out of curiosity, what do you identify as, as far as religion/spirituality goes?

The thing is, this thread is not about whether or not angels exist. (That might be a good topic for a thread of its own.) That's why in the original post I said, "If you're a believer, what is your take on Genesis 6:4?" To be more clear, I probably should have said, "if you're a believing Christian", because the word believer is very broad.

For some of us, "Angels" are a metaphor and we don't take them for actual entities we're likely to encounter, and even if we did we would think it a hallucination. As for the stories carried across the millennia by the Bible, they are very important and interesting and applicable in adding to knowledge. Our times match so poorly with those of thousands of years ago that the subtleties they would have had for our ancestors of the epoch are imperceptible to us. We have to admit to being incapable of the kind of understanding they might have had. We have to integrate old writings into what we have discovered about economics, politics, psychology, warfare, biology, linguistics...
One may have a sure and certain intimate conviction concerning a point and still allow that other perceptual centers/persons could have another.

Also keep in mind that the Jewish tribes were not yet monotheistic in those days, which some do not take into account when doing textual analysis. That came later, in Isaiah's times.

The point is that, after all, parable is the only applicable term to the entire Bible. Matt.13:34 testifies to this in describing how Jesus taught.

The point is that, after all, parable is the only applicable term to the entire Bible. Matt.13:34 testifies to this in describing how Jesus taught.

No, that is simply false. The bible contains numerous different types of writing, that is not even debated among people who study the bible.

Yes, Jesus spoke to people in parables at that time, but He did that for a reason. But that's not the topic of this thread.

As I said in the original post, this thread was for believing Christians. But I'm beginning to realize that it's pointless to try to post threads for Christians here, because almost every time it turns into a thread where atheists or others steer it in the direction they want it to go. Since that's what usually happens, I probably won't post any more threads here.

Last edited:

No, a lot of it is history and laws and proper morals as it was understood by the authors, and under several 'voices', sometimes as many as three or four in the same set of sentences. The Sermon on the Mount is not a collection of parables, for instance, and that was his major public speech.

John 1:12 KJV

Biblically, the term "sons of God" is used in a few different ways. You are pointing to the New Testament, and yes, in the New Testament, those of us who receive Jesus become "sons" (or daughters) of God. We literally become children of God.

However, in the Old Testament, every time the phrase "sons of God" is used, it is referring to angels.

The only other use of the term son of God that I know of is referring to Jesus.

So, the the 3 uses of that phrase are:
  • Angels
  • Genuine Christians (those who are spiritually "born" from above)
  • Jesus
I believe that the reason angels are referred to as "sons of God" in the Old Testament is because they were direct creations of God.
The direct creation of God could be interpreted as the angel of the Lord. Moses as an example with the burning bush.

The book of giants explains that the sons of God, the watchers, were angels sent to earth to guide humanity.
The screwed a bunch of chicks and made the monsters who turned earth into a cesspool of sin and madness.
The book of Enoch is by far the most interesting book.
It also gives a more accurate detailing of Eden and such because it wasnt raped by political and theological activists like genesis was.
Plus, aliens.

Lol god killed everyone with a flood and the main reason for it, the Giants, survived. Just like the canaanites.
God doesnt have a very good track record of murdering correctly.

Just out of curiosity, what do you identify as, as far as religion/spirituality goes?

The thing is, this thread is not about whether or not angels exist. (That might be a good topic for a thread of its own.) That's why in the original post I said, "If you're a believer, what is your take on Genesis 6:4?" To be more clear, I probably should have said, "if you're a believing Christian", because the word believer is very broad.
I feel that you should at least consider the following:

I feel that you should at least consider the following:

So, he believes Genesis 6:4 is referring to Angels, but he doesn't believe the Nephilim are the offspring of that bizarre union? Interesting. I have never heard that interpretation before.

It doesn't make sense to me though, because when you read the passage, it's all in one sentence:

The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them.

Also, he claims that people interpret the Nephilim to be giants because of the book of Enoch, but that is not entirely true. The Bible itself talks about the giants, in other books within the Bible. So one doesn't have to rely only on the book of Enoch or other extra biblical texts to come to this interpretation.

I don't know if you watched the video that I shared in the original post, but the presenter in the video does not use any extra-biblical texts to make his point, he only uses the Bible. If you get a chance, please watch that video.

Thanks for sharing that!

The book of giants explains that the sons of God, the watchers, were angels sent to earth to guide humanity.
The screwed a bunch of chicks and made the monsters who turned earth into a cesspool of sin and madness.
It also gives a more accurate detailing of Eden and such because it wasnt raped by political and theological activists like genesis was.
Plus, aliens.

Yeah, as far as I know most of the extra-biblical texts talk about the Watchers who were sent to help humanity.

I think the reason why many Christians go for the "sons of Seth" interpretation is because they think the Angelic interpretation is only supported by the extra-biblical texts which they don't believe are trustworthy. Plus, it sounds completely crazy, that angels mated with humans. Which is why I think someone in the 4th century came up with the Sethite interpretation in the first place, lol.

Last edited:
Plus, aliens.

Yeah, as far as I know most of the extra-biblical texts talk about the Watchers who were sent to help humanity.

I think the reason why many Christians go for the "sons of Seth" interpretation is because they think the Angelic interpretation is only supported by the extra-biblical texts which they don't believe are trustworthy. Plus, it sounds completely crazy, that angels mated with humans. Which is why I think someone in the 4th century came up with the Sethite interpretation in the first place, lol.
They arent trustworthy because man didnt add it to the book? Lol totally makes sense
And angels screwing humans is what you think is crazy? Lmao
I bet you didnt know the only reason Enoch was rejected by the jews was because some of it pertained to Jesus. Lol you christians basically say the jews are wrong about their own religion literally every day because they dont believe jesus is their messiah..
I guess consistency is detremint to mythology.

Plus, aliens.

They arent trustworthy because man didnt add it to the book? Lol totally makes sense
And angels screwing humans is what you think is crazy? Lmao
I bet you didnt know the only reason Enoch was rejected by the jews was because some of it pertained to Jesus. Lol you christians basically say the jews are wrong about their own religion literally every day because they dont believe jesus is their messiah..
I guess consistency is detremint to mythology.

You totally misunderstood my post. I never said that I believe those books are untrustworthy. I said that some Christians do, and that is why they… Oh, never mind. This is off-topic, and I can see that trying to have a discussion with you would be pointless anyway.

The Bible is a living book. It doesn't exist except as GOD wished it to be. Man didn't make it up --- GOD revealed it. Man didn't simply pick and choose ---- the HOLY SPIRIT influenced what GOD foreordain to be written down and protected. Those writings which were fake and made up and mystical fabrications, GOD prevented their inclusion in the Canon of Scripture known as GOD's WORD.

The Bible is a living book. It doesn't exist except as GOD wished it to be. Man didn't make it up --- GOD revealed it. Man didn't simply pick and choose ---- the HOLY SPIRIT influenced what GOD foreordain to be written down and protected. Those writings which were fake and made up and mystical fabrications, GOD prevented their inclusion in the Canon of Scripture known as GOD's WORD.

Well, the topic is Genesis 6. But since you brought up the extrabiblical texts, some of them are referenced in the bible. So, although they are not canon, the ones that are referenced in the bible probably shouldn't be called "fake" so quickly. Also, we know that God reveals truth in numerous ways, not just through the scriptures. And obviously the bible doesn't cover every single topic under the sun. So, do you honestly think that God didn't want us to seek the truth anywhere but in the bible?

But getting back to the actual topic, what are your thought on Genesis 6:4? Do you agree with the man in the video you shared the other day?

Also, did you watch this video? He does not rely on extrabiblical texts, he presents the case solely with the bible:

Last edited:
Lol god killed everyone with a flood and the main reason for it, the Giants, survived. Just like the canaanites.
God doesnt have a very good track record of murdering correctly.

Yahweh seems to be quite the incompetent loser.

He could not get out of heaven without screwing up via Satan.
He could not get success in Eden, or later when he used genocide, and as you say, could not do in the intended target and just took out the rest of us as colateral damage.

Yahweh can't win for losing.

No wonder he has such a vile temper.

Regards
DL

Many lies about god, Christian liar.

Prove anything you said about god was true. Anything.

Regards
DL

I wondering where anyone see angels as the sons of God except for a passage in Job which doesn't actually say the sons of God were angels.

I wondering where anyone see angels as the sons of God except for a passage in Job which doesn't actually say the sons of God were angels.

Were humans there when God laid the foundations of the earth?

Come on, even if you were to argue that it's not referring to angels (which would go against the consensus of scholars, at least as far as I've seen) you can't argue that humans were there when God created this earth.

So, what is your view on Genesis 6:4?

Giants.

Do you believe in a real Noah's flood?

All those innocent babies murdered. Yahweh can't be that big of a prick can he?

You are basically correct though. We are gods.

Remember what Jesus asked about this in the bible?

Regards
DL

Forum List

Back