Who Are Your Favorite MLB Record Holders ? and Why ?

That's the question. Pop in your answer with who it is, why, and what is the record you're referring to ?
Mine is Hank Aaron, for holding the TRUE, non-steroidal career record for home runs, with 755. My second pick would be Ty Cobb, for holding the career batting average record with an amazing .367 mark. I think I can safely say THIS record will never be broken. And my third pick would be Cy Young, for his mind-boggling record for career wins by a pitcher, with a staggering 511 wins. THIS record will NEVER be broken.

Can I tell a Ty Cobb story apropos of his life time B.A.?
My tennis partner's father was a legendary golfer (Harvey Ward) and was a club pro out on the SF peninsula and the Giants had moved to SF a few years before and he was friendly with many of the players.

He was invited to watch a Cactus League match and Ty Cobb's daughter had moved to the Bay Area hence Cobb's presence there, was hired by the club as a part time hitting instructor.

Well, the other squad had a pitcher who was giving the Giants a tough time that day and my friend's father
(who was a golfing pal of Cobb's) asked him how he liked the pitcher.
Cobb said he looked pretty good and then he asked Ty how he might fare against that pitcher.
"Oh, I don't know. He has good stuff."
"C'mon. How would you hit him, Ty?"
Ty thought and then said, "I might hit about .270 or so off him." That was unusually modest for Ty and
Harvey Ward was surprised.
".270?" he said incredulously.
"You have to remember I'm about 75 years old now." Cobb replied, forever confident in his ability to hit
a baseball.

Can I tell a Ty Cobb story apropos of his life time B.A.?
My tennis partner's father was a legendary golfer (Harvey Ward) and was a club pro out on the SF peninsula and the Giants had moved to SF a few years before and he was friendly with many of the players.

He was invited to watch a Cactus League match and Ty Cobb's daughter had moved to the Bay Area hence Cobb's presence there, was hired by the club as a part time hitting instructor.

Well, the other squad had a pitcher who was giving the Giants a tough time that day and my friend's father
(who was a golfing pal of Cobb's) asked him how he liked the pitcher.
Cobb said he looked pretty good and then he asked Ty how he might fare against that pitcher.
"Oh, I don't know. He has good stuff."
"C'mon. How would you hit him, Ty?"
Ty thought and then said, "I might hit about .270 or so off him." That was unusually modest for Ty and
Harvey Ward was surprised.
".270?" he said incredulously.
"You have to remember I'm about 75 years old now." Cobb replied, forever confident in his ability to hit
a baseball.
Great story, thanks for sharing it.

Forum List

Back