Who here is an atheist?

Who here is an atheist? It seems to me my belief in god is unfounded and without proof. I know that the universe was created by the big bang and the processes of science. Why on earth do I cling to 2,000 year old sheep herders writing?

This writing promotes hatred, idiocy and backwardness. I am so very close to just saying fuck it and becoming a atheist!!!

What I've read in the bible should never be read to a child as it is fucking savage stoneaged crap. And you fuckers bitch about sex ed??? really? The bible encourages rape, murder of babies and rape of women. On and on. Incest is in the bible with lott fucking his daughters, murder of ones brother and genocide of millions of people.
Just so you know, militant atheists like yourself are the new new nazis. Seriously, you are out there on the extreme edge of the spectrum and you make atheists all over look bad.
FLAG ON THE PLAY:
22424536_1875091782516182_7815273979414911835_o.jpg
The truth hurts.

Militant atheists like yourself condemn respect for people who believe in God. You're real dicks.
Oh the irony.
That might be true if I wasn't such a nice guy.
If he does say so himself. Notice he's the only one running around calling people dicks. But, he's a "nice guy".

You could be right, but I don't think so. I see no reason why it has to be eternal. It, whether that it is a natural occurrence or a God, only has to predate the creation of the universe. It could have changed or gone away since that time. The Christian God has drastically changed from the vengeful God of the Old Testament to the loving and forgiving God that Jesus describes.
I don't see any other way to stop the what came before that do loop.

That is one of the major differences between me and hard core bible thumpers. I'm content to say "this is as much as we have evidence to indicate for now, but we are constantly looking for more answers" but religious nuts say I demand a complete answer now, and since I don't know, it has to be a magic fairy with a beard. You could be right. There could be an all powerful God, but there just isn't much evidence to indicate that, and there is no reason to believe that is the only possibility.
I didn't think that was what I was doing. I've spent quite few years working through all this. It's more like a journey. If it makes you feel any better I don't believe in a magic fairy with a beard. My picture is more like pure consciousness or intelligence whichever you prefer.

But let's be honest here, ok? Every person here is here to validate their beliefs.

Yes. The claim that a God is the only answer to the existence of the universe has not been validated. You are free to believe what you want, but don't expect someone less gullible to agree with you.
You think I am more gullible than you because I believe there is a higher power than man?

Is that your only measure?

Atheists are the worst ones about validating their religion.
Apparently you missed the "...has not been validated..." (read verified) part. It isn't the belief in a higher power that makes you gullible. It's your belief in a supernatural entity for which there is no verification that makes you gullible.

Who here is an atheist?

COUNT ME IN! I for one do not believe in liberals.

It seems to me my belief in god is unfounded and without proof.

That's because you've never had a religious experience. Only peons think God is something you can verify and measure with a ruler.

I know that the universe was created by the big bang and the processes of science.

Look Smuck, you're talking to someone who almost went into being an astrophysicist and who still teaches astronomy and does science writing to this day:

You DO NOT know that the Universe was created by a Big Bang, no one does. It is just a theory based on observations far more limiting than a guppy looking across the ocean and trying to understand the Earth.

As to the rest of your typically vacuous, venal diatribe on the backwardness and stupidity of people who are religious as being stupid, troglodytic pustules rejecting science, all I can say is that you shouldn't judge things you don't understand, and maybe there is a reason why God has judged you as not yet ready to come to Him.

You don't even know what an atheist is. An atheist does not believe in any god. He doesn't hate god any more than he hates unicorns. An atheist has no religion. Until you figure that out, you will never be able to engage in a reasonable discussion about the subject.

I know what an atheist is. I am married to one, and growing up, there were atheists in my family. None of these people visit an internet forum about religion any more than they visit internet forums about unicorns. I will not broad-brush all atheists who frequent religion forums as more bitter and resentful than atheistic, but frequently they are. True atheists do not ridicule God as a Magic Sky Fairy, nor are they resentful or bitter towards those who believe. True atheists know why they do not believe in God, and they understand why others do. Plus their understanding rises far above the atheist internet pablum of, "People believe in God because they are scared of death."

Again, there are a few Internet atheists here I greatly respect because they are much like the atheists in my life--and I am thankful for them. Mostly, "Internet Atheists on Religion Forums" give atheists a bad name and reinforce stereotypes of atheists, which is too bad and unfair to so many atheists.
First of all, Meriweather, BULLDOG 's comment was directed at Ding, not you. Just so you now. Second, I, can't speak for anyone else, but I don't typically resort to the "Invisible Magic man in the Sky" routine, until after someone I am debating/discussing with has decided to make light of my intelligence, or thinking skills b3ecause I'm "silly enough" to be an atheist. I also have never suggested that theists are only such because they fear death.

That being said, I would presume that you were not really referring to me, as you, and I have had several interesting discussions, even though I don't really agree with your theological positions. I would also submit that more outspoken atheists are beginning to arise, mostly because as our numbers grow, we find it less, and less necessary to "keep our opinions to ourselves". As theists feel...obligated(?)...to proselytise, atheists are learning that there have to be people who are vocal about the advancement of rational knowledge over faith.

Who here is an atheist? It seems to me my belief in god is unfounded and without proof. I know that the universe was created by the big bang and the processes of science. Why on earth do I cling to 2,000 year old sheep herders writing?

This writing promotes hatred, idiocy and backwardness. I am so very close to just saying fuck it and becoming a atheist!!!

What I've read in the bible should never be read to a child as it is fucking savage stoneaged crap. And you fuckers bitch about sex ed??? really? The bible encourages rape, murder of babies and rape of women. On and on. Incest is in the bible with lott fucking his daughters, murder of ones brother and genocide of millions of people.

Surely not believing in God is also unfounded and without proof.

Atheism is the same as religion, it's about belief of things you don't actually know about.

Atheism is the same as religion, it's about belief of things you don't actually know about.
Why do you keep saying that, when you have had the difference, and the actual position of rational atheists repeatedly demonstrated to you? Continuing to post this untrue statement just makes you look intellectually dishonest.

Why do you keep saying that, when you have had the difference, and the actual position of rational atheists repeatedly demonstrated to you? Continuing to post this untrue statement just makes you look intellectually dishonest.

Oh yeah, I forgot your "rational" stuff. Like how you think an atheist is an agnostic.

I'll keep saying it because it's true.

It makes YOU look intellectually dishonest for saying that an atheist is an agnostic.

You don't even know what an atheist is. An atheist does not believe in any god. He doesn't hate god any more than he hates unicorns. An atheist has no religion. Until you figure that out, you will never be able to engage in a reasonable discussion about the subject.

I know what an atheist is. I am married to one, and growing up, there were atheists in my family. None of these people visit an internet forum about religion any more than they visit internet forums about unicorns. I will not broad-brush all atheists who frequent religion forums as more bitter and resentful than atheistic, but frequently they are. True atheists do not ridicule God as a Magic Sky Fairy, nor are they resentful or bitter towards those who believe. True atheists know why they do not believe in God, and they understand why others do. Plus their understanding rises far above the atheist internet pablum of, "People believe in God because they are scared of death."

Again, there are a few Internet atheists here I greatly respect because they are much like the atheists in my life--and I am thankful for them. Mostly, "Internet Atheists on Religion Forums" give atheists a bad name and reinforce stereotypes of atheists, which is too bad and unfair to so many atheists.

Generally you are right. However reasonable most atheists might be, when they are called Nazis, like has happened in this thread, tend to be a little less gentle in their answers.

Oh yeah, I forgot your "rational" stuff. Like how you think an atheist is an agnostic.

It makes YOU look intellectually dishonest for saying that an atheist is an agnostic.
I don't think an atheist is an agnostic. You seem to think that if an atheist isn't frothing at the mouth acting like a theist, then he is "just an agnostic". That's not how it works.

My position is, "There. Is. No. God," What does that make me?

I don't think an atheist is an agnostic. You seem to think that if an atheist isn't frothing at the mouth acting like a theist, then he is "just an agnostic". That's not how it works.

"There is no God" makes you an atheist.

"I don't know where this is a God" makes you an agnostic.

You said as an atheist you are open minded. Saying there isn't a God when you DON'T KNOW whether there is one or not, makes you not open minded.

Thems the hard facts.

Precisely. I am an atheist. My position is also that presented with objective, verifiable evidence that my position is incorrect, I will happily alter my position. That is open-minded. The fact that I am willing to alter my position, given sufficient evidence, makes me no less an atheist, because it does not alter my current position that there is. No. God.

I'm sorry that my position doesn't fit your pre-conceived notion of what an atheist is "supposed" to be, but it is not my job to alter my position in order to fit your expectations.

Precisely. I am an atheist. My position is also that presented with objective, verifiable evidence that my position is incorrect, I will happily alter my position. That is open-minded. The fact that I am willing to alter my position, given sufficient evidence, makes me no less an atheist, because it does not alter my current position that there is. No. God.

I'm sorry that my position doesn't fit your pre-conceived notion of what an atheist is "supposed" to be, but it is not my job to alter my position in order to fit your expectations.

The problem here is that you're saying "I believe this, prove me wrong", with something that can neither be proven, nor proven wrong.

You believe. It's that simple. You've decided something is true when you don't know. That's not being open minded. You can, of course, believe whatever the hell you like, but it doesn't make you opened minded still.

You also can't label yourself something, and then complain when the label doesn't fit. You could claim you're an apple, but you're not, no matter how much you say "I'm sorry that my position doesn't fit your pre-conceived notion of what an apple is "supposed" to be".

The problem here is that you're saying "I believe this, prove me wrong", with something that can neither be proven, nor proven wrong.
I'm not convinced this is a true statement. Can it be proven now? No. Will it remain unprovable? I don't know. and neither do you. Neither of us knows what technologies may exist in the future, or what examinations of the universe will be possible.

You believe. It's that simple. You've decided something is true when you don't know. That's not being open minded. You can, of course, believe whatever the hell you like, but it doesn't make you opened minded still.
Again, that is a misrepresentation of my position. Allow me to ask you, are you agnostic about the existence of unicorns? Dragons? Fairies? Aliens? I'm just curious about how far your insistence on absolute agnosticism for things that are unprovable goes.

You also can't label yourself something, and then complain when the label doesn't fit. You could claim you're an apple, but you're not, no matter how much you say "I'm sorry that my position doesn't fit your pre-conceived notion of what an apple is "supposed" to be".
I don't complain about the label. I complain about your unnecessarily discourteous characterisation of atheists.

I'm not convinced this is a true statement. Can it be proven now? No. Will it remain unprovable? I don't know. and neither do you. Neither of us knows what technologies may exist in the future, or what examinations of the universe will be possible.

Again, that is a misrepresentation of my position. Allow me to ask you, are you agnostic about the existence of unicorns? Dragons? Fairies? Aliens? I'm just curious about how far your insistence on absolute agnosticism for things that are unprovable goes.

I don't complain about the label. I complain about your unnecessarily discourteous characterisation of atheists.

We're not talking about the future. We're talking about your brain right now.

Unicorns, do they exist? We're on one planet, there are how many planets in our universe?

Also a unicorn is a mythical creature. Do I think mythical creatures exist? You can make that argument, they don't live as other animals live, they're not flesh and blood, but they exist in the same way math exists. Math exists, we know this, we teach it, we use it to understand the world, it makes sense. So too does Philosophy and other such things. Without humans, they don't exist. They require a brain to make them exist. Do unicorns exist in the same manner? Sure they do, as mythological creatures. That's why we have a name for them.

What is God? That depends on who you talk to. Some versions of God aren't very believable, like an old man in the sky. But as a creator. Now, the world was created. The world we live in has rules, Math, Science etc. Are these not God? Could be, depends on how you look at it.

We're not talking about the future. We're talking about your brain right now.
My...what a narrow little version of what can, and cannot be known you have. "If it can't be known right now, then treat it like it will never be knowable," Sorry, I guess I do have "faith" in something - human curiosity, ingenuity, and the ability to learn new things.

Unicorns, do they exist?
That's my question to you. There is no evidence of their existence. However, lack of evidence is not, itself, aboslute evidence of the contrary. So? Must we be "agnostic" about the existence of unicorns?

We're on one planet, there are how many planets in our universe?
No one knows. Your turn. Are you agnostic about the existence of aliens?

Also a unicorn is a mythical creature. Do I think mythical creatures exist? You can make that argument, they don't live as other animals live, they're not flesh and blood, but they exist in the same way math exists. Math exists, we know this, we teach it, we use it to understand the world, it makes sense. So too does Philosophy and other such things. Without humans, they don't exist. They require a brain to make them exist. Do unicorns exist in the same manner? Sure they do, as mythological creatures. That's why we have a name for them.
Not unlike gods...
What is God? That depends on who you talk to. Some versions of God aren't very believable, like an old man in the sky. But as a creator. Now, the world was created. The world we live in has rules, Math, Science etc. Are these not God? Could be, depends on how you look at it.
"Now, the world was created." - Even this is a presumption. On what do you base that definitive statement?

One needs a church to have a religion? This is news to me.
I'm not up for parsing words, bro.

The point was made and stands.
In which post?
Post #81
That is the post I quoted you in where I responded with "One needs a church to have a religion? This is news to me."

How is that making a point? You need to get the simple things explained before you can move on any further.
Because there is no religion based on Zeus.

I thought that was self evident.
There is a religion, an Ancient Greek religion based on Zeus and 11 other gods. It contained sacred texts like Theogony, Works and Days, Odes and Iliad and Odyssey. The religion is called Hellenism and there are over 100, 000 people who still practice it today.

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm

Just so you know, militant atheists like yourself are the new new nazis. Seriously, you are out there on the extreme edge of the spectrum and you make atheists all over look bad.
FLAG ON THE PLAY:
The truth hurts.

Militant atheists like yourself condemn respect for people who believe in God. You're real dicks.
Oh the irony.
What's so ironic about that? I don't condemn respect for atheists. I have three sisters who are atheists. We get along just fine.

Militant atheists? Different story. They get back what they earn.

Human arrogance and ignorance and ego.A-I-E-thiests. You can take every penny in the world and every one you consider" smart" yet in no way can you ever make something from nothing.

FLAG ON THE PLAY:
The truth hurts.

Oh the irony.
What's so ironic about that? I don't condemn respect for atheists. I have three sisters who are atheists. We get along just fine.

Militant atheists? Different story. They get back what they earn.
Militant atheists, now that's a laugh.We are so bad ass.

55708-47021.jpg

The irony is, is that you call out atheists who you perceive as being disrespectful and you call them dicks.

See, this is why it is so easy to overcome Ding's arguments. Because all of them are founded in basic unprovable presumptions. Once you remove those presumptions, his arguments fall apart.
The leading cosmological model for how the universe began has been disproved by you?

I don't think so.
What you think is irrelevant. The Laws of Thermodynamics is very specific that they only apply to a closed system. There is no evidence that the universe is a closed system. In fact, because its expansion is assumed to be infinite, this would be evidence that it is not a closed system. As it interacts with whatever is outside of the universe, as it continues to expand, it is possible that it is an open system. We really don't know. Since your entire argument hinges on a presumption that, once again, you cannot prove, your argument lacks a logical foundation.

You do that a lot.
No. The laws of Thermodynamics do not only apply for a closed system.

First Law of Thermodynamics for an Open System ~ Learn Engineering

it's like you go searching for anything that might make your case. And you end up making stupid ass statements like this. It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't dismiss your defeats and ignore your incongruities.

Yes, there is absolutely evidence that the universe is a closed system. The best cosmological model for how the universe began is the inflation theory. It's predictions match our observations better than any other model.

So let me conclude by saying that thermal equilibrium for an infinite acting universe would still exist for a open system. As time approaches infinity the universe approaches thermal equilibrium.

The universe isn't going to get hotter.

Forum List

Back