Why Are Minorities, Especially Blacks, Harder Hit by the Chinese Virus?

Meathead

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2012
There are some standard answers: systemic racism which transcends to health care and occupations, the other being poorer lifestyle "choices". The CDC article below addresses some of these issues, but largely ignores what everyone knows about lifestyles, doubtless for reasons of political correctness. The question has already been asked.

The effects of COVID-19 on the health of racial and ethnic minority groups is still emerging; however, current data suggest a disproportionate burden of illness and death among racial and ethnic minority groups. A recent CDC MMWR report included race and ethnicity data from 580 patients hospitalized with lab-confirmed COVID-19 found that 45% of individuals for whom race or ethnicity data was available were white, compared to 55% of individuals in the surrounding community. However, 33% of hospitalized patients were black compared to 18% in the community and 8% were Hispanic, compared to 14% in the community.

So with Hispanic, I would say it has to do with the fact they tend live together with family, sometimes even after getting married.

I found this out, when a woman friend of mine told me she was about to break off her engagement, because her Mexican husband to be, wanted to just... live with his parents.

Keep in mind, she was of Mexican decent herself, but she was born in the US, and the idea of living with his parents, and his brother and his wife, all under the same roof... was not acceptable. But to him it was normal.

A pastor said the worst part about being Puerto Rican, was trying to fill out emergency forms that asked nearest family that does not live with you.

As for blacks, had to say. Drug use? Living in filth perhaps? Hanging out with unclean people?

Hard to know.

There are some standard answers: systemic racism which transcends to health care and occupations, the other being poorer lifestyle "choices". The CDC article below addresses some of these issues, but largely ignores what everyone knows about lifestyles, doubtless for reasons of political correctness. The question has already been asked.

The effects of COVID-19 on the health of racial and ethnic minority groups is still emerging; however, current data suggest a disproportionate burden of illness and death among racial and ethnic minority groups. A recent CDC MMWR report included race and ethnicity data from 580 patients hospitalized with lab-confirmed COVID-19 found that 45% of individuals for whom race or ethnicity data was available were white, compared to 55% of individuals in the surrounding community. However, 33% of hospitalized patients were black compared to 18% in the community and 8% were Hispanic, compared to 14% in the community.

And why isn't the media as laser focused on this issue, like they are with police shootings?

Bet I know....Because it can't be blamed on whitey.

And why isn't the media as laser focused on this issue, like they are with police shootings?

Oh, but you can and they have. Systemic racism which translates to health disparities is a result of "white privilege"...of course.

Only some things are fair game. When the Aids epidemic first hit we had no idea how bad it might be but it was a panic at the time. One however could not have imagined calling for "lock downs" of the infected or contact tracing or identifying those who were sick to protect the public. It would have been considered a witch hunt and therefore when AIDS first came out we left it up to chance and a hope that it would not spread. We simply used public information as a protection.

Only some things are fair game. When the Aids epidemic first hit we had no idea how bad it might be but it was a panic at the time. One however could not have imagined calling for "lock downs" of the infected or contact tracing or identifying those who were sick to protect the public. It would have been considered a witch hunt and therefore when AIDS first came out we left it up to chance and a hope that it would not spread. We simply used public information as a protection.
I remember a joke that was going around in less politically correct days when most everybody who got it were junkies, fags and Haitians:

What was the hardest thing about telling your parents you had AIDS?

Trying to convince them you were Haitian.

Systemic racism? Damn, how'd those white supremacist bigots get the virus to listen to 'em? If we could figure out how they trained it to specifically target their enemies, that'd be useful info to have.

(For the thinking-challenged leftists among us, that was sarcasm.)

So with Hispanic, I would say it has to do with the fact they tend live together with family, sometimes even after getting married.

I found this out, when a woman friend of mine told me she was about to break off her engagement, because her Mexican husband to be, wanted to just... live with his parents.

Keep in mind, she was of Mexican decent herself, but she was born in the US, and the idea of living with his parents, and his brother and his wife, all under the same roof... was not acceptable. But to him it was normal.

A pastor said the worst part about being Puerto Rican, was trying to fill out emergency forms that asked nearest family that does not live with you.

As for blacks, had to say. Drug use? Living in filth perhaps? Hanging out with unclean people?

Hard to know.

For blacks, it's most likely due to the high incidence of pre-existing conditions, such as diabetes, in the black community. And pretty much anyone who lives in a crowded urban area where it's difficult to socially distance is going to have a much higher risk.

A virus isn't racist, it just needs a host.

Only a dimwiited fool thinks otherwise
But why is it impacting blacks more harshly?

I have been wondering about that for a few weeks now.

Anyone have an idea?

As I said in my previous post, it probably has to do with the high incidence of contributing conditions such as diabetes, and the percentage of the black population that lives in crowded urban areas where they can't easily engage in social distancing.

I don't think anyone's had time to do an in-depth study on the subject as yet.

Black people are more prone to high blood pressure and this virus kills people with high blood pressure.

Diabetes is next on the hit parade. Those are the top 2 comorbidities with this virus.

A virus isn't racist, it just needs a host.

Only a dimwiited fool thinks otherwise
But why is it impacting blacks more harshly?

I have been wondering about that for a few weeks now.

Anyone have an idea?

Because black have inherent health problems that make them more vulnerable.
Same reason one can not compare USA health care to that in Nordic Countries, like progressives luv to do.

Maybe they heed precautions? Idk but a virus isn't racist. That's absurd
Well, there are slight racial differences between the races, like sickle cell anemia, but like many Asians were more vulnerable to SARS due to the ACE2 factor, I am wondering if there is something similar with blacks and COVID19.

That isnt a racist virus but perhaps a genetic vulnerability that the virus may take advantage of that is found more predominately in one race than others.

Forum List

Back