Why Are So Many Employers Unable to Fill Jobs?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
What a great question.

For skilled and reliable mechanics, welders, engineers, electricians, plumbers, computer technicians, and nurses, jobs are plentiful; one can often find a job in 48 hours.

Here we are with an education system designed for academia instead of crafts. And there is taught a bias against working with one's hands, as well as presenting an excuse to delay entry into the workforce by more “education.”

The one this piece doesn't mention is the inability of high school graduates to read, write, and perform basic math.

Read more @ Why Are So Many Employers Unable to Fill Jobs

What a great question.

For skilled and reliable mechanics, welders, engineers, electricians, plumbers, computer technicians, and nurses, jobs are plentiful; one can often find a job in 48 hours.

Here we are with an education system designed for academia instead of crafts. And there is taught a bias against working with one's hands, as well as presenting an excuse to delay entry into the workforce by more “education.”

The one this piece doesn't mention is the inability of high school graduates to read, write, and perform basic math.

The three main reasons so many entry level workers never make it to the first raise:

1. Tardiness

2. Absenteeism

3. Employee theft.

Makes an excellent case for Obama's stance on education but the right will continue to fight against educating our own people so they can hire from other countries.

Shameful that we had two presidential candidates say that education is elitist, snobbish and that children should be cleaning toilets.

What a great question.

The three main reasons so many entry level workers never make it to the first raise:

1. Tardiness

2. Absenteeism

3. Employee theft.

:rolleyes:

What a great question.

You raise a good point, but you also fail to recognize a very important point. Namely that at least in some cases the employers are inclined to require the aforementioned academic degree for such jobs. Where trade jobs don't require a degree, the pay nowadays tends to be low. Why spend a year paying for a training program for a welding job that will only pay $10, when McDonalds will hire you right now for $9/hr?

What a great question.

I don't think it makes sense to say they cant fill jobs. There are 7 billion in the world so if you let the law of supply and demand operate all jobs should be filled. I mean really, if a jobs is important and you don't fill it you go bankrupt. A small company, for example, can't get a fortune 500 CEO so it settles for the best it can get. The same would apply to any job at any level.

As alway liberal govt interference distorts the process with:

1) welfare, unemployment ,and entitlements, that discourage work
2) job training that is better left to employers
3) an academic liberal arts mentality designed more to brainwash students as liberals rather than prepare them for work
4) a liberal mentality that says working with your hands is forbidden

I have technical and mechanical skills yet when I apply they say we will call..You tell me why they can't get who they need?

I have technical and mechanical skills yet when I apply they say we will call..You tell me why they can't get who they need?

maybe they sense at heart you are a moron liberal with your pants down and you somehow manage to think its cool??

Last edited:
As alway liberal govt interference distorts the process with:

1) welfare, unemployment ,and entitlements, that discourage work

Yeah, there are tons of nurses, engineers, and computer techs just sitting at home thinking to themselves "Who needs 65K a year when I get $200 in monthly food stamps and $400 a week in unemployment?"

2) job training that is better left to employers

:lol: Employers don't want to waste time and money on job training. If anything, they want to reduce the costs of training, considering that it's the most expensive part of the employment cycle.

3) an academic liberal arts mentality designed more to brainwash students as liberals rather than prepare them for work

Wow, that's an atrocious equivocation fallacy right there. A Liberal Arts degree does not mean "liberal" as in politically. Furthermore, Liberal Arts majors tend to do better than most.

Liberal arts majors actually do just fine, with incomes far in excess of the median in the United States. And many of them, like the Cornell graduates surveyed in 2009 (download here), are as satisfied or more satisfied with their lives as their classmates in other disciplines. For them, to quote an English proverb, enough is as good as a feast. The liberal arts, moreover, also serves as a preferred pathway to rewarding and remunerative careers. According to the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), medical schools accepted 43 percent of the biological sciences majors, 47 percent of physical sciences majors, 51 percent of humanities majors, and 45 percent of social sciences majors who applied in 2010.

Does Your Major Matter - Forbes

4) a liberal mentality that says working with your hands is forbidden

:lmao:

Tell that to the folks in medical school.

Gee, don't bare your ass and you might get hired.

#4 reason people can't get/hold jobs is shitty, smartass attitude.

Think about that next time nobody calls.

Nobody does call....
I'll ask what I ask all the chronically unemployed I know.

Why don't you move somewhere where there is an economy?

I am 66, never ever lacked a job if I wanted one.

I am pretty sure you just have a bad attitude, and it is like an aura.

Makes an excellent case for Obama's stance on education but the right will continue to fight against educating our own people so they can hire from other countries.

Shameful that we had two presidential candidates say that education is elitist, snobbish and that children should be cleaning toilets.

Really? Being a welder, plumber, mechanic, electrician requires an Obama Approved Social Justice Warrior degree financed by $100K+ of Federal Government Student Loans?

Who knew?

One of the issues keeping those good jobs unfilled is home ownership.

People who HAD those jobs in places where they used to exist had the money to buy homes.

Now that their jobs are gone they will have the house. Some of them may have paid them off. But they can't sell them easily and so are unwilling to move to where the jobs are.

Obviously government needs a program!

Perhaps government could offer to buy those homes, freeing the enslaved owners!

But more likely, to prevent this from being a continuing problem, simply outlawing home ownership. Government could simply seize all housing and rent units back to the politically reliable!

Nobody does call....

You need to rework your resume. You should also probably stop sitting back and waiting for someone to call you.

What a great question.
It's indeed a great question, but it points to a problem that is never discussed.

I can tell you first hand -- both for myself and for my +/- 80 business owner clients -- that there has been a cultural shift in the workforce. Even when unemployment was high and you'd think it would be easy to find good people, my clients were stunned at how difficult it was to find even decent people.

In general (and yes, I'm being general here), people have become more entitled and less willing to what used to be the norm -- work hard with the goal of earning advances. They think they're worth more than they are, and they're jealous of those who have worked their way above them. They want raises and advancement and perks for virtually nothing. They want higher starting pay without providing any proof they deserve it.

Selfishly, I no longer have to hire people and I couldn't be happier about that. I feel sorry for my clients, though, they look at me like someone is playing a trick on them, they don't understand why this is so tough.

This is, at its core, a cultural issue.

Even when unemployment was high and you'd think it would be easy to find good people, my clients were stunned at how difficult it was to find even decent people.

The problem is not in finding good people. It's in finding good leaders. The value of leadership has been lost on the modern day workplace, and substituted for management.

Nobody does call....

You need to rework your resume. You should also probably stop sitting back and waiting for someone to call you.
He should pull his fuckin' pants up before he interviews.

Forum List

Back