Why did Reagan Administration grant tax-free religious status to Scientology?

All religions can get a pass, you just need money and connections to make it happen quickly.

If you wanted to worship me, all you need is one congressman and about 10k and cash and you are exempt.

fyi

this is 30 years old, a little late to give a fuck
Funny how the so-called "Constitutionalists" like Ron Paul and his sycophantic followers never make this an issue, but gleam onto far more trivial matters to jump up and down over.

religions and charities getting a taxation pass are law. suck it up

I'm now forced to buy health ins of I get fined.

That kind of tyranny should concern you more than shit from the early 80's.

but whatever, pols are going to do what ever they want to put money and power in thier pocket and fuck whoever is not on their team.

Im drunk, so if that didn't make a lot of sinse, fuck uy0o

tired or fretyping:eusa_boohoo:

I'm not fond of Scientology, but they as any religion, should be treated the same. If we deny them religious status, who is next?

OK - again: what constitutes a religion?

What are the criteria in which to acquire tax-free status?

Legally? Beats the frack out of me. As I recall, the problem with Scientology was that it charged for its healing mumbo jumbo, not that the healing was mumbo jumbo.

Here is what the IRS says.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf

The bolded is what I am looking for - nobody seems to have any clue.

That is because, legally, there is no definition. There is a list of things that religions do, but no actual requirement that religions do any of them.

It was reported at the time that the meeting between administration officials and Scientology officials lasted as little as 10 minutes.

Why would Reagan grant tax-free status to a bunch of kooks?

Who gives a fuck?

seriously, why do you fucking care at all?

Liberalism is full of kooks

are you just jealous?

:tongue:

Of being tax-exempt, who wouldn't be? :cool:

If Scientology is benign, why did Katie Holmes run to NY to file for divorce? She's trying to keep her daughter out of their clutches by going to a state where Scientology isn't as ingrained and accepted.

Because everyone knows it's the "liberals" who shit a brick when someone tries to build a mosque near them, right?

i bet they would if it was down the block from them....:eusa_eh:
They just built a new mosque down the block from my parents house. No one gave a shit.
Statements like this baffle me. I guess it's different growing up in NY.

There are mosques EVERYWHERE. I've lived most of my life "down the block" from a mosque - and no one has ever "shit a brick" about it. There are mosques "down the block" from the most most orthodox Jewish neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

Muslims aren't feared in NY - everyone has gone to school with Muslims, worked with Muslims, and lived around them for their entire lives. The loudest people shouting about the "ground zero mosque" have probably never even been to NY.

I simply don't get the Fear that I see a lot of people affected by. They're no stranger to me than Catholics.
yea im sure every person in that neighborhood was just happy as shit.....try a middle class neighborhood were you dont have to many Muslims around....then tell me people wont talk....

All religions can get a pass, you just need money and connections to make it happen quickly.

If you wanted to worship me, all you need is one congressman and about 10k and cash and you are exempt.

fyi

this is 30 years old, a little late to give a fuck
Funny how the so-called "Constitutionalists" like Ron Paul and his sycophantic followers never make this an issue, but gleam onto far more trivial matters to jump up and down over.

religions and charities getting a taxation pass are law.

Wingnut Congresscritters have made it clear that they have no problem repealing laws.

If Scientology is benign, why did Katie Holmes run to NY to file for divorce? She's trying to keep her daughter out of their clutches by going to a state where Scientology isn't as ingrained and accepted.

Why? Let's see, celebs, publicity, drama, upper hand in publicity and the list is long, I'm sure she consulted with , attorneys, agents, publicists so as to make the proper popular choice and get win the court of public opinion.

religions and charities getting a taxation pass are law.

Wingnut Congresscritters have made it clear that they have no problem repealing laws.

That's correct but since it was a Democratic majority in it was passed, I doubt the win guts would repeal their own law.

Why? Let's see, celebs, publicity, drama, upper hand in publicity and the list is long, I'm sure she consulted with , attorneys, agents, publicists so as to make the proper popular choice and get win the court of public opinion.

I doubt she'd trust those in CA. Scientology is deeply ingrained in the community. Her attorney appears to be her own father. One of the few people she could really trust.

Legally; it is a legitimate religion. Do you have anything to say otherwise?

i would think a "religion" has to have a God or Gods to worship....who do these guys worship.....L.Ron Hubbard?....hey just askin....

So Buddhism isn't a religion, and shouldn't have tax-exempt status?

One shouldn't take their claim to be a religion at face value without doing research into their activities.

I thought I made a point of saying 'administration'. I didn't claim that presidents decide these things all by their lonesome.

That said, I think I made a mistake: the battles with the IRS occurred throughout the Reagan administration, but the actual IRS decision was made during an impromptu meeting between Scientology dictator David Miscavige and IRS Commissioner Goldberg during the Bush administration, in 1991:

Scientology made the initial gesture toward a cease-fire when Miscavige, the church leader, paid an unscheduled visit to the IRS commissioner, Goldberg.

The first full account of that meeting and the events that followed inside the IRS was assembled from interviews, Scientology's own internal account, IRS documents and records in a pending suit brought by Tax Analysts, a nonprofit trade publisher, seeking the release of IRS agreements with Scientology and other tax-exempt organizations.

Feffer, a church lawyer since 1984, said he approached officials at the Justice Department and the IRS in 1991 with an offer to sit down and negotiate an end to the dispute.

The church's version of what followed is quite remarkable. Miscavige and Marty Rathbun, another church official, were walking past the IRS building in Washington with a few hours to spare one afternoon in late October 1991 when they decided to talk to Goldberg.

After signing the visitors' log at the imposing building on Constitution Avenue, the two men asked to see the commissioner. They told the security guard that they did not have an appointment but were certain Goldberg would want to see them. And, according to the church account, he did.

Goldberg said he could not discuss the meeting, although a former senior official confirmed that it occurred. An IRS spokesman said it would be unusual for someone to meet with the commissioner without an appointment.

Miscavige does not grant interviews, church officials said, but Rathbun said the Goldberg meeting was an opportunity for the church to offer to end its long dispute with the agency, including the dozens of suits brought against the IRS, in exchange for the exemptions that Scientology believed it deserved.

"Let's resolve everything," Rathbun recalled saying. "This is insane. It's reached insane levels."

Goldberg's response was also out of the ordinary. He created a special five-member working group to resolve the dispute, bypassing the agency's exempt organizations division, which normally handles those matters. Howard M. Schoenfeld, the IRS official picked as the committee's chairman in 1991, said later in a deposition in the Tax Analysts case that he recalled only one similar committee in 30 years at the agency.

I apologize for the error. But my main point is why are these kooks granted tax-exempt status?

Because they met the legal requirements to be a tax-exempt religious organization, and despite your apparent belief that you get a vote in what other people believe and how they live their lives, it's not for the federal government or anyone else to decide on the "legitimacy" of someone's religious beliefs.

It would be incredibly nice if leftists ever came to understand the true meaning of the phrases "No one asked for your opinion" and "No one cares what you think".

I thought I made a point of saying 'administration'. I didn't claim that presidents decide these things all by their lonesome.

That said, I think I made a mistake: the battles with the IRS occurred throughout the Reagan administration, but the actual IRS decision was made during an impromptu meeting between Scientology dictator David Miscavige and IRS Commissioner Goldberg during the Bush administration, in 1991:
Scientology made the initial gesture toward a cease-fire when Miscavige, the church leader, paid an unscheduled visit to the IRS commissioner, Goldberg.

The first full account of that meeting and the events that followed inside the IRS was assembled from interviews, Scientology's own internal account, IRS documents and records in a pending suit brought by Tax Analysts, a nonprofit trade publisher, seeking the release of IRS agreements with Scientology and other tax-exempt organizations.

Feffer, a church lawyer since 1984, said he approached officials at the Justice Department and the IRS in 1991 with an offer to sit down and negotiate an end to the dispute.

The church's version of what followed is quite remarkable. Miscavige and Marty Rathbun, another church official, were walking past the IRS building in Washington with a few hours to spare one afternoon in late October 1991 when they decided to talk to Goldberg.

After signing the visitors' log at the imposing building on Constitution Avenue, the two men asked to see the commissioner. They told the security guard that they did not have an appointment but were certain Goldberg would want to see them. And, according to the church account, he did.

Goldberg said he could not discuss the meeting, although a former senior official confirmed that it occurred. An IRS spokesman said it would be unusual for someone to meet with the commissioner without an appointment.

Miscavige does not grant interviews, church officials said, but Rathbun said the Goldberg meeting was an opportunity for the church to offer to end its long dispute with the agency, including the dozens of suits brought against the IRS, in exchange for the exemptions that Scientology believed it deserved.

"Let's resolve everything," Rathbun recalled saying. "This is insane. It's reached insane levels."

Goldberg's response was also out of the ordinary. He created a special five-member working group to resolve the dispute, bypassing the agency's exempt organizations division, which normally handles those matters. Howard M. Schoenfeld, the IRS official picked as the committee's chairman in 1991, said later in a deposition in the Tax Analysts case that he recalled only one similar committee in 30 years at the agency.

I apologize for the error. But my main point is why are these kooks granted tax-exempt status?

Because they met the legal requirements to be a tax-exempt religious organization, and despite your apparent belief that you get a vote in what other people believe and how they live their lives, it's not for the federal government or anyone else to decide on the "legitimacy" of someone's religious beliefs.

It would be incredibly nice if leftists ever came to understand the true meaning of the phrases "No one asked for your opinion" and "No one cares what you think".

OK, Braniac: what are the legal requirements to be a tax-exempt religious organization?

I predict that this will be the last that we see of Cecilie in this thread. :lol:

If they're a criminal organization that's stealing peoples' lives and money, we need to look at them more closely. Turning a blind eye to evil isn't in anyone's interest, except the criminals.

Apparently, you are so fucking stupid, you don't even see the contradiction in the two bolded statements.

I hate to bring up this painful point but....

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"

Why in hell do they give tax exempt status to any religion? It's blatantly unconstitutional!

Oh yeah, shit, I forgot...political cronyism....

Because churches are non-profit organizations, and usually charitable in nature, moron. God forbid you actually find out what the qualifications are for tax-exemption - or any other subject - before shooting off your ignorant mouth about it.

It was reported at the time that the meeting between administration officials and Scientology officials lasted as little as 10 minutes.

As opposed to all the other kooks?

Why does any Church get a tax exemption?

Why is Evil Space Lord Zenu and Body Thetans any more ridiculous as walking on water or getting golden tablets or Mohammed going to the Mountain in one day?

Why is Evil Space Lord Zenu and Body Thetans any more ridiculous as walking on water or getting golden tablets or Mohammed going to the Mountain in one day?

That's not the point. It's their illegal activities. Read into the stories of some of their former members. They can't all be lying. The following is a good place to start.

Ex-Scientology Kids

I agree! But what is the legal criteria for the tax-exempt status?

Forum List

Back