Why do people hate Liberals?

We hate you because you're a big pile of shit.

People hate liberals? What people? I think you mean that right wing partisan hacks hate liberals.
They are much easier to hate than lets say, independents. And the GOP needs someone to hate, blame and pass the buck for the stupid decisions and positions they take.

What the fuk would repugs do if not hate liberals? They don't govern very well. They seem rather short sighted and backwards thinking. Yea rethugs need hate like liberals need poor people. Each serves the needs of the party.

Asswipe, he can't destroy the US overnight.

We understand you're a domestic terrorist, but he needs to be subtle about his attacks on the US or else the US military and general public will stop him.

And presumably, you support Barack Obama. That's where I don't get the LOLberals. When Bush was writing up shit like the patriot act, the howling and moaning from the lolberals was loud and boisterous. I know, because i sided with them over it.

But, now it really is just a side issue. It's a passing "I'm against it" now that Obama extended the act and even added new civil liberty erosions like NDAA2012.

That's the part i dont get. Bush and his wars and his civil liberties erosions and oh the HUGE Maniti. But it's crickets and the occassional "I'm against those things" when it is brought into question now that Obama is the one dishing out the unconstitutional wars, etc...
It's not crickets! Obama lost the left over a year and a half ago. I personally withdrew my support for his policies about 18 months ago when it was clear that he was going to continue the neocon foreign policy agenda; not close GITMO; not investigate the former Administration for war crimes; not stop the wars; not fight for the public option in the healthcare bill; and a whole list of other things he's doing that are not leftist policies.

Don't you remember the former press secretary going off on the left at a press conference? Saying that we had to give him (Obama) more time to do the things we wanted him to do. That outburst was a direct result of Obama catching shit from the left and losing his base. And looking back on it, we never were his base to begin with.

I'm not going to vote for him this time, but he will win in November.

BTW, those bills are not side issues. They've effectively made our Constitution null and void and the sooner everyone realizes that, the sooner we can start getting a representative government back.

You may have heard about term limits, which explains your bold prediction.

The myth was enhanced in the 50's. We were in a cold war. Civic studies was a required course and we needed heroes as role models. FDR couldn't have been luckier in terms of timing.

What myth?
The first poll of historians took place in 1948 and FDR was rated third best.
The first thing Republicans did when they got in power after the war was to amend the Constitution so that no one could run for a third term. That gave FDR a lock on that record, and the Republicans gave FDR that lock.
Plenty of newspapers were against FDR, as were some radio pundits. Father Coughlin, the Limbaugh of his time, lambasted FDR and his policies. There were many others, FDR did not have a free ride during those years, from corporations or business.
In the Fifties America elected Ike as president, a war hero so where's the myth?

The myth is that he was a great president. History books ignored the fact that this man assumed powers and gave away what was not his to give. His spending certainly contributed to prolonging the great depression. The danger of this type of presidency had been written about long before FDR.

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the Public Treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits from the Public Treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy always followed by dictatorship."
– Alexander Fraser Tyler, 18th century Scottish historian, The Decline and Fall of the Athenian Republic

History books have ignored nothing about FDR or his presidency, FDR is one of the most studied presidents we have. Book upon books have been written about FDR's time in office and by all sorts of historians. The bottom line however is they always vote FDR as one of the top three American presidents. Your quote by Tyler or the usual Republican party line opinions have nothing to do with the issue.

What did liberals do that was so offensive to the Republican Party? I’ll tell you what they did. Liberals got women the right to vote. Liberals got African-Americans the right to vote. Liberals created Social Security and lifted millions of elderly people out of poverty. Liberals ended segregation. Liberals passed the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act. Liberals created Medicare. Liberals passed the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act.What did Conservatives do? They opposed them on every one of those things, every one. So when you try to hurl that label at my feet, ‘Liberal,’ as if it were something to be ashamed of, something dirty, something to run away from, it won’t work, because I will pick up that label and I will wear it as a badge of honor.

-Lawrence O’Donnell Jr.

hey Chris congratulations....Franco said your voice finally changed.....maybe now you will get a girlfriend......

Well, let's see....

Liberals use the race card to win elections, claiming the GOP is the KKK.
Liberals use the age card to win elections, claiming the GOP is going to kill granny.
Liberals claim the GOP wants dirty water, air, etc.
Liberals run election ads claiming Romney killed some woman with cancer.
Liberals support all forms of abortion and even promote abortion.
Liberals are typically anti-military.
Liberals like to tax working people and give that money to lazy ass people.
Liberals believe being against gay marriage makes one a homophobe.

Liberals are just scum or stupid people, your pick.

i think you have gone berserk......

Well, let's see....

Liberals use the age card to win elections, claiming the GOP is going to kill granny.

He's just a garden variety moron

You don't even recognize what government is?
It's not a liberal government.

And it's policies are definately not liberal.

It is immoral to indoctrinate our children in government schools
What is being indoctrinated and why do you think all government schools are liberal?

The welfare state is immoral as it fosters dependency
For some it does, for others it doesn't. I'm currently trying to get on welfare and I've been working all my life. And if I do get it, it's not going to stop me from sending out resume's. When I don't have a job, I feel like a fish out of water. That's just one example to prove your logic needs some revisions.

And how's that being forced on people? People on welfare have to apply for it. Which means they want it. So it's not being forced on them. And if you're not on welfare, then it's not being forced on you either. And if you simply don't like your tax dollars going to fund that, well, I don't like my tax dollars going to fund your bullshit wars.

Social security is immoral as it makes every American a slave of government checks
After they're no longer able to hold a job. And don't they get their own money back? Their payments are proportional to what they paid in, during the years they worked.

Don't talk to me about forcing ideology's on others after what you people did during the debt ceiling debates, all these wasted efforts to stop abortion and this deep-seated hatred you have for brown people.

I don't want to get into detail because then I would be accused of being hateful toward cons. But while liberals view the world with shades of gray, conservatives view the world as black vs white,us vs them,good vs evil.

To the extent conservatism is defined as social conservatives I would agree with you. But for many libertarian conservatives this does not apply at all. Conservatism has changed greatly from the our founders previous small government types that included small government as it related to the military and personnel issues.

The one thing about this board that most baffles me is the incredible depth of hatred and contempt for liberals.

The amount of comments from people suggesting all liberals are stupid, anti-patriotic, dumb...you name it. One even suggested liberals don't know what paragraphs are.

I don't get it. And I don't see anything the like the contempt expressed by liberals towards conservatives.

Firstly, the term "liberal" could be used to describe about half of the planet. Like "leftist", it's a fairly cliched catch-all adjective that have little real meaning. It's just too general to be much use.

Secondly, I've met extremely intelligent people from right across the political spectrum - and as many idiots. I've talked to brilliant facists, idiotic conservatives, intelligent communists and brain-dead centrists. I don't see a pattern there at all.

And lastly, why hate liberals when many of the most successful and celebrated administrations have been liberal ones? Were the governments if Clinton, Wilson, FDR, JFK and Truman really so much worse than conservative governments of similar eras?

The constant attacks on liberals seems to me (as an outsider) just a sign of incredible arrogance and conceit - and I would consider attacks on conservatives the same way.

If there is a REAL reason, with facts, for hating liberals - let's hear about it.

Saigon, there have been numerous studies on conservatism that explain their fear based belief system, their love of authoritarian leaders, their worship of materialism, the opulent and their utter disdain for anyone who isn't wealthy.

But it is neither 'arrogance or conceit'. When you understand how fear and insecurity manifest in human behavior, it is much easier to understand.

Among the most critical authors of how conservatism has become so destructive and a threat to democracy is John Dean, who was legal counsel to Richard M. Nixon, and a close friend of the late Republican Senator Barry Goldwater. Goldwater, was extremely concerned about the direction conservatism had taken late in his life. Dean's book, "Conservatives Without Conscience" was started as a collaborative effort with Goldwater. Dean shared the senator’s dislike of the “so-called social conservatives” who have risen to prominence within Republican ranks over the past several decades, and the pair planned a book for which they would talk “with people like Chuck Colson, Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell” and “attempt to understand their strident and intolerant politics.”

The project was cut short by Goldwater’s death in 1998, but Dean remained dedicated to unmasking what he sees as the new and dangerous breed of “tough, coldblooded, ruthless authoritarians” who have “co-opted” conservatism.

Here is a long list of Dean's writing with links.
FindLaw's Writ | John Dean

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a great article about conservatism that appeared in Psychology Today

The Ideological Animal

Excerpt:

"All people are born alike—except Republicans and Democrats," quipped Groucho Marx, and in fact it turns out that personality differences between liberals and conservatives are evident in early childhood. In 1969, Berkeley professors Jack and Jeanne Block embarked on a study of childhood personality, asking nursery school teachers to rate children's temperaments. They weren't even thinking about political orientation.

Twenty years later, they decided to compare the subjects' childhood personalities with their political preferences as adults. They found arresting patterns. As kids, liberals had developed close relationships with peers and were rated by their teachers as self-reliant, energetic, impulsive, and resilient. People who were conservative at age 23 had been described by their teachers as easily victimized, easily offended, indecisive, fearful, rigid, inhibited, and vulnerable at age 3. The reason for the difference, the Blocks hypothesized, was that insecure kids most needed the reassurance of tradition and authority, and they found it in conservative politics.

Last edited:
The one thing about this board that most baffles me is the incredible depth of hatred and contempt for liberals.

The amount of comments from people suggesting all liberals are stupid, anti-patriotic, dumb...you name it. One even suggested liberals don't know what paragraphs are.

I don't get it. And I don't see anything the like the contempt expressed by liberals towards conservatives.

Firstly, the term "liberal" could be used to describe about half of the planet. Like "leftist", it's a fairly cliched catch-all adjective that have little real meaning. It's just too general to be much use.

Secondly, I've met extremely intelligent people from right across the political spectrum - and as many idiots. I've talked to brilliant facists, idiotic conservatives, intelligent communists and brain-dead centrists. I don't see a pattern there at all.

And lastly, why hate liberals when many of the most successful and celebrated administrations have been liberal ones? Were the governments if Clinton, Wilson, FDR, JFK and Truman really so much worse than conservative governments of similar eras?

The constant attacks on liberals seems to me (as an outsider) just a sign of incredible arrogance and conceit - and I would consider attacks on conservatives the same way.

If there is a REAL reason, with facts, for hating liberals - let's hear about it.

This is a fantastic question and I've noticed the same thing since joining up. The one that bugs me the most is the constantly stereotyping of Liberals as sitting around, taking hand outs, not working, killing babies, wanting to take rich people's money, etc. It gets old. It is like they don't care what liberals stand for or why they choose that path nor do they want to know. They just want to rip them to shreds. I really don't care. I can take the criticism. It just makes the person doing it looks stupid. However, I work hard, have never taken anything from the Government, live within my means and am Liberal on most issues.

Oh well, haters gotta hate I guess.

Well for starters, they call republicans racist if they disagree with obama. That alone makes them hatable. Theres many reasons to hate liberals though.

Is that so? I've never called anyone a racist for disagreeing with Obama. What other reasons are there to hate Liberals?

I don't hate Conservatives.

"Liberals" are NOT liberals........ They're fascist authoritarians, and in some cases totalitarian...

Anyone who advocates bigger government and loyalty to government is absolutely not liberal...

Real classical liberals founded this country in response to authoritarian, totalitarian and theocratic governments across the pond.....

Now the same mess is being created here by the so called "liberals."

I hate progressives because they're my antithesis.....They're a bunch of envious fucks who want government to take care of them via STEALING from anyone who has more then them.

How the fuck can one be liberal and look to government to provide for them???

None of this is true. I know a lot of liberals including myself and I don't envy anyone or take anything from the Government or want the Government to provide for me or to steal from those that have more.

I do want the Government to provide for those who need it. I don't but many do and I believe in a strong social safety net to provide for them. I believe that those who can work, should work and those that can't should get help.

If that makes me hateable, well so be it. I consider it being compassionate for others.

Oh, and I also believe, if you can afford to do so, give to charity as much as you can and volunteer as well.

A lot of Liberals/Progressives I know feel the same.

Well, let's see....

He's just a garden variety moron

And wrong on so many levels.

This is a fantastic question and I've noticed the same thing since joining up. The one that bugs me the most is the constantly stereotyping of Liberals as sitting around, taking hand outs, not working, killing babies, wanting to take rich people's money, etc. It gets old. It is like they don't care what liberals stand for or why they choose that path nor do they want to know. They just want to rip them to shreds. I really don't care. I can take the criticism. It just makes the person doing it looks stupid. However, I work hard, have never taken anything from the Government, live within my means and am Liberal on most issues.

Oh well, haters gotta hate I guess.

My thoughts exatly!

Most conservatives here probably consider me a liberal - and yet I own my own business, pay my taxes, and have never been on welfare a day in my life.

I'm an entrepreneur!

And the funny thing is - you know a lot of more conservative posters are on welfare themselves!

I don't hate Liberals. I hate the thought of economic and social policies borrowed from failed societies being used to fundamentally transform America that will yield a select, finite wealthy elite and masses all on the name of "fairness". I would rather have a capitalist society with a strong middle class, equal opportunity for prosperity. Limited government and limited socialism are acceptable but government nor it's social programs should ever overtake American capitalism

I think most liberals would agree with that - certainly I do!

Of course, the US already has a select, finite elite - more so than any other democracy on earth. Liberalism didn't create that.

well since you won't link your explanation .

horseshoe theory - wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

political_spectrum_horseshoe_model.svg

bfd

I don't hate Liberals. I hate the thought of economic and social policies borrowed from failed societies being used to fundamentally transform America that will yield a select, finite wealthy elite and masses all on the name of "fairness". I would rather have a capitalist society with a strong middle class, equal opportunity for prosperity. Limited government and limited socialism are acceptable but government nor it's social programs should ever overtake American capitalism

I think most liberals would agree with that - certainly I do!

No they don't. They claim they do, but then they continually vote for those failed policies.

Of course, the US already has a select, finite elite - more so than any other democracy on earth. Liberalism didn't create that.

Wrong. The 90% of the wealthy are self made. They weren't born into wealth. But those who want to create a true class structure in the U.S. claim the wealthy were born into it.

Forum List

Back