Why Do Poor Whites Vote Republican?

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
Liberals question why poor voters who use public assistance still vote for Republicans who want to cut those very services. The real story, Gary Younge finds, is much more complicated

Tracey Owings is fighting hard to keep the home that has been in his family for 34 years. In 2000 his mother refinanced. In 2006 she died. In 2009 he lost his job and had no paid work for nine months. He fell behind with the mortgage. The bank moved to foreclose on the house. Gradually the work came back. Less than before. Much less. But just enough. The house is not in negative equity and now he can make the payments. But he can't get the bank to take his money. Attempts to modify the loan and take advantage of a settlement, brokered by the White House, between mortgage companies and the justice department have come to nought. "I don't qualify," he says with exasperation detailing both his efforts to meet each bureaucratic challenge and his frustration at each bureaucratic obstacle.

He stands in the waiting room of Gulfcoast Legal Services offices in Sarasota with an armful of documents and a belly full of bile. "They have failed me," he says. "Obama came in offering hope and change but he's failed. I just want to save my mother's house."

Owings is voting for Mitt Romney. Does he think Romney will improve his lot? "I'm willing to try anything at this point," he says.

There is nothing more vexing to liberals than poor Republicans. Their very existence rankles. It turns their world on its head and their assumptions inside out. The effort to explain them is understood not just as a political paradox but a psychological disorder. They have been duped. They must have been. How else would one explain putting your cross next to the man who derided them as "victims" among the 47% "I don't worry about". To many liberals these are turkeys voting for Christmas or lemmings off for a leap; the condemned tying the noose for their own execution.

At times the contradictions are striking. In August 2009, when opponents of Obamacare were disrupting town hall meetings with claims of death panels, Kenneth Gladney and other members of St Louis tea party got into a fight with Democrats at a public meeting. He had to go to the emergency room with injuries to his knee, back, elbow, shoulder and face and ended up in a wheelchair. It turned out Gladney, who had recently been laid off, had no health insurance. He appealed for donations.

Trace a map highlighting government dependency and those most reliant on benefits live in Republican states and often Republican counties. In Floyd county in Eastern Kentucky, 40% of the income comes from the government. In 2008 Floyd, where almost 20% live below the poverty line and the median income is almost 20% lower than the country, voted for McCain – a 27 point swing against the Democrats and the first victory for Republicans in living memory.

Working class voters: why America's poor are willing to vote Republican | World news | guardian.co.uk

Good read and this has always been one of the most baffling questions as to why poor rednecks vote republican, and it seems as the article gets at is simply because of ignorance and stupidity.

Good read and this has always been one of the most baffling questions as to why poor rednecks vote republican, and it seems as the article gets at is simply because of ignorance and stupidity.

The ignorant and stupid ones vote Democrat. People who don't want to be on welfare the rest of their lives vote Republican.

It's race. It's because of race. Duh. Poor whites resent the government assistance that blacks receive because poor whites do not believe that poor blacks deserve assistance, and poor whites resent the presence of Hispanics, who they view as usurpers, here illegally and stealing peoples' jobs. Poor whites vote GOP because the GOP is willing to be quite hostile to both blacks and Hispanics in exchange for votes of poor whites. I could have saved this writer a whole lot of time and money.

The ignorant and stupid ones vote Democrat. People who don't want to be on welfare the rest of their lives vote Republican.

Those who vote democratic work for a living, and feel everyone should also have the ability to have an honest job.

Those on the right however just sit on their lazy asses on welfare, waiting for the "trickle down" to happen which they think will make them rich for simply being sheep to the GOP.

"Why Do Poor Whites Vote Republican?"

Because they want equality. The real question is why do so many women and minorities vote for Democrats who are bankrupting the country and turning us into Greeece...

I am no where near the 1%, between the wife and I we made $45k last year and our 20 year old son still lives with us.

I wouldn't vote for a Democrat for anything above the city level for love nor money.

What does it benefit me or my children, or his children to get something "for free" from the Government if it destroys the country in the process?

Well anyone voting republican or democrat is an idiot try voting issues. I know hell of a concept. But I guess if we really extended the op to its furthest ends why do rich blacks vote democrat? Are they racist? Most of these rappers are doing nothing for the poor except exploiting them for record sales yet they vote democratic and give money to campaigns instead of people in need. Hmm perhaps critical thinking skills should be exercised in this area. Garbage article pure and simple. Instead of looking at multiple avenues they clung to the contradictions that supported their opinion and did away with moral issues that also guide voters.

Liberals want to believe that poor people can't think. It's the same attitude they apply to women, minorities, anyone they feel should 'belong' to them.

its simple for me I vote my pocket book. I left a blue state {illinois} due to high taxes and went to a red state low taxes same amount of wages what I do. lower cost of living and I have the beach and mountains to boot in South Carolina.

Race, AND all the longtime myth that Pubs are for small government, better at business, family values- despite all the actual evidence- AND the incredible new power of the Pub propaganda Machine, they fear al kinds of communist, Marxist FASCIST and Nazai LOL BS see sig pp3. Rush, Beck and all the rest of bogus institutes orgs, blogs, Moonie and Murdoch rags- they're lost in a jungle that doesn't exist...

Have you noticed how often you beg people to read your "sig"? :rolleyes: You might consider actually having something to say once in a while instead.

Race, AND all the longtime myth that Pubs are for small government, better at business, family values- despite all the actual evidence- AND the incredible new power of the Pub propaganda Machine, they fear al kinds of communist, Marxist FASCIST and Nazai LOL BS see sig pp3. Rush, Beck and all the rest of bogus institutes orgs, blogs, Moonie and Murdoch rags- they're lost in a jungle that doesn't exist...

not sure my friend what state or world you live in and hell I am just a simple plastic industrial maintenance man but the cost of my smokes today was $3.19 compared to $11 bucks a pack in cook county Illinois. a win win for me and sucks to be them.

Probably because they want policies that will help the economy thrive and grow so they can get out of poverty instead of policies that keep the economy sluggish and stagnant and keep stuck there of course that's just a guess on my part.

Forum List

Back