🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why do religions which worship benevolent deities only make people unhappy?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Shouldn't religions which worship 'good' deities be making people happy? Seems like when ever religious discussions take place there's anything but peace and love. And any discussion about peace and love is absent deities. Why is that?

If people weren't miserable, they wouldn't need religion or any other kind of false hope.

Religion is like an exclusive club. If you're accepted into it you're happy to be chosen. You become unhappy when you find that not everyone wants to be in your club and most people think their club is better than yours.

Wow, the Mundane ignorance in here is astounding. It seems that many of those who pose as "Xians" gone fucked up religion for a great many people.

Shouldn't religions which worship 'good' deities be making people happy? Seems like when ever religious discussions take place there's anything but peace and love. And any discussion about peace and love is absent deities. Why is that?

From reading your posts I get the feeling that you are the kind of character I'd be least surprised to see being led away in handcuffs on the Evening News some night.

What would the charges be?

Suspicion of terrorism.

Religion is like sticking your dick in a peep hole. What they tell you is on the other side of the wall isn't necessarily what is on the other side. You just have to have faith that is god on the other end and not another dude with herpes or aids.

The happiest chrstians keep that shit to themselves and aren't here on USMB.

I'm a new atheist so this is the place to come when you want to let it out.

Gismys who says believe it is all literal history or burn in hell or boss who believes in the boogy man because human's have always had a healthy fear of the unknown.

Two great minds. :eusa_liar:

Religion is like an exclusive club. If you're accepted into it you're happy to be chosen. You become unhappy when you find that not everyone wants to be in your club and most people think their club is better than yours.

Born agains and Catholics will take anyone.

Jews and Greek Orthodox Christians don't try to recruit.

My sister is the most religious and spiritually serene person I have ever known.

Which religion are you talking about? Do you have evidence that proves that everyone who is a member of that religion is unhappy? Are you butt upset over the fact that the last few threads you set up to attack religion failed?

Which religion are you talking about? Do you have evidence that proves that everyone who is a member of that religion is unhappy? Are you butt upset over the fact that the last few threads you set up to attack religion failed?

seems to me the folks showing up and making everyone unhappy are the atheists.....

Follow the plan of happiness and you will be happy.

Wickedness never was happiness

Christ never promised that following him would bring us happiness in this world.

However, faith does bring a sense of peace to many people.

As a Christian, I know that death is just a door to a better world, so I do not have fear.

This gives me great peace of mind, which I would not have if I was an atheist.

Christ never promised that following him would bring us happiness in this world.

As a Christian, I know that death is just a door to a better world, so I do not have fear.

In other words, you are afraid when you die that is it. And your religion promises you more after you die. I guess if that lie makes you feel good about yourself more power to you.

“I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there’s little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.” – Carl Sagan

“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.” - Mark Twain

We have piece of mind too.

When I became convinced that the universe was natural, that all the ghosts and gods were myths, there entered into my brain, into my soul, into every drop of my blood, the sense, the feeling, the joy of freedom. The walls of my prison crumbled and fell. The dungeon was flooded with light and all the bolts and bars and manacles turned to dust. I was no longer a servant, a serf, or a slave. There was for me no master in all the wide world, not even in infinite space.

I was free to think. Free to express my thoughts, free to live in my own ideal. Free to live for myself and those I loved. Free to use all my faculties, all my senses. Free to spread imagination’s wings, free to investigate, to guess, and dream and hope. Free to judge and determine for myself. Free to reject all ignorant and cruel creeds, all the inspired books that savages have produced, and the barbarous legends of the past. Free from sanctified mistakes and “holy” lies. Free from the fear of eternal pain, free from the winged monsters of the night. Free from devils, ghosts and gods. For the first time I was free.

There were no prohibited places in all of the realm of thought. No error, no space where fancy could not spread her painted wings. No chains for my limbs. No lashes for my back. No flames for my flesh. No Master’s frown or threat, no following in another’s steps. No need to bow or cringe or crawl, or utter lying words. I was free; I stood erect and fearlessly, joyously faced all worlds.

My heart was filled with gratitude, with thankfulness, and went out in love to all the heros, the thinkers who gave their lives for liberty of hand and brain, for the freedom of labor and thought to those who fell on the fierce fields of war. To those who died in dungeons, bound in chains, to those by fire consumed, to all the wise, the good, the brave of every land whose thoughts and deeds have given freedom to the sons of men. And then, I vowed to grasp the torch that they held, and hold it high, That light might conquer darkness still.

-Robert Green Ingersoll (1833-1899)

When I became convinced that the universe was natural, that all the ghosts and gods were myths, there entered into my brain, into my soul, into every drop of my blood, the sense, the feeling, the joy of freedom. The walls of my prison crumbled and fell. The dungeon was flooded with light and all the bolts and bars and manacles turned to dust. I was no longer a servant, a serf, or a slave. There was for me no master in all the wide world, not even in infinite space.

I was free to think. Free to express my thoughts, free to live in my own ideal. Free to live for myself and those I loved. Free to use all my faculties, all my senses. Free to spread imagination’s wings, free to investigate, to guess, and dream and hope. Free to judge and determine for myself. Free to reject all ignorant and cruel creeds, all the inspired books that savages have produced, and the barbarous legends of the past. Free from sanctified mistakes and “holy” lies. Free from the fear of eternal pain, free from the winged monsters of the night. Free from devils, ghosts and gods. For the first time I was free.

There were no prohibited places in all of the realm of thought. No error, no space where fancy could not spread her painted wings. No chains for my limbs. No lashes for my back. No flames for my flesh. No Master’s frown or threat, no following in another’s steps. No need to bow or cringe or crawl, or utter lying words. I was free; I stood erect and fearlessly, joyously faced all worlds.

My heart was filled with gratitude, with thankfulness, and went out in love to all the heros, the thinkers who gave their lives for liberty of hand and brain, for the freedom of labor and thought to those who fell on the fierce fields of war. To those who died in dungeons, bound in chains, to those by fire consumed, to all the wise, the good, the brave of every land whose thoughts and deeds have given freedom to the sons of men. And then, I vowed to grasp the torch that they held, and hold it high, That light might conquer darkness still.

These are very flowery words, but atheists have a really bad record. During the French Revolution they murdered thousands of Christians and destroyed the Catholic Church. Under Communism, they have murdered more than 100 million and nearly destroyed Christianity everywhere they ruled.

So, freedom from God and his Commandments may be wonderful for atheists, but it's not so good for people who live in atheist-controlled countries, especially Christians.

I don't know cause I'm religious, peaceful, loving and happy.
What makes you think I'm not?

Hey Chuck, are you happy?
Drift?
Jeri?

Last edited:
If people weren't miserable, they wouldn't need religion or any other kind of false hope.

:lol: I am extremely blessed, and extremely happy, the only time I am usually unhappy is when my baseball team loses. I am a Christian and if this is what miserable feels like all the time, then I want more of it.:D

seems to me the folks showing up and making everyone unhappy are the atheists.....

Atheism is a religion, they preach that there is no gods, therefore they must be the most miserable people in the world, according to Delta, that is. :lol:

These are very flowery words, but atheists have a really bad record. During the French Revolution they murdered thousands of Christians and destroyed the Catholic Church. Under Communism, they have murdered more than 100 million and nearly destroyed Christianity everywhere they ruled.

So, freedom from God and his Commandments may be wonderful for atheists, but it's not so good for people who live in atheist-controlled countries, especially Christians.

Completely different circumstances. Lets say an atheist in America were to become president. I mean one that admits he's an atheist. I'm sure there've been plenty of them but they couldn't admit that. Anyways, an atheist president would be a liberal progressive and we are not interested in world domination or war. Piece and science are what we're all about.

The only similarity between us and communism is that supposedly some of their leaders didn't believe in god. That's it. That's where it stops. And who knows how much of that is western christian propoganda vs. real history. You guys call everyone commies and you believe god is on your side just like everyone else thinks before they are taken over.

Forum List

Back