Why do so many people deny climate change

Here's the 2ond Law from Wikipedia.

''The second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of an isolated system never decreases, because isolated systems spontaneously evolve toward thermodynamic equilibrium—the state of maximum entropy.''

'' Equivalently, perpetual motion machines of the second kind are impossible.''

''The second law is an empirically validated postulate of thermodynamics, but it can be understood and explained using the underlying quantum statistical mechanics, together with the assumption of low-entropy initial conditions in the distant past (possibly at the beginning of the universe). In the language of statistical mechanics, entropy is a measure of the number of microscopic configurations corresponding to a macroscopic state. Because thermodynamic equilibrium corresponds to a vastly greater number of microscopic configurations than any non-equilibrium state, it has the maximum entropy, and the second law follows because random chance alone practically guarantees that the system will evolve towards such thermodynamic equilibrium.''

''It is an expression of the fact that over time, differences in temperature, pressure, and chemical potential decrease in an isolated non-gravitational physical system, leading eventually to a state of thermodynamic equilibrium''

''The second law may be expressed in many specific ways, but the first formulation is credited to the French scientist Sadi Carnot in 1824 (see Timeline of thermodynamics). Strictly speaking, the early statements of the Second Law are only correct in a horizontal plane in a gravitational field.''

''The second law has been shown to be equivalent to the internal energy U being a weakly convex function, when written as a function of extensive properties (mass, volume, entropy, ...).[1][2]''

wiki? I am laughing in your stupid face.

I provide you with a statement of the second law from the physics department at Georgia State University...one of the most respected physics programs in the country and you respond with wiki.....really?

Once more....I am laughing out loud in your stupid face.

I keep forgetting. Conservatives are not permitted to learn from sources not approved by cult media propaganda.

OK with me. The more ignorant conservatives are the faster the movement will flush.

People can and do die from all kinds of things.

But can you tell me that a 2 degree C rise in temp will cause more people to die than already would have?

NO

So all the dire predictions of the disasters coming due to warming are bullshit.
But that you can't seem to understand my posts isn't your fault it's mine. I'm not used to conversing with people who can't think beyond the words on a page.

All the dire "predictions of the disasters coming due" is not "bullshit". Depending on what those predictions are, they are simply a matter of time. The timing is, of course, everything.

I can tell you that more people will die than would have if no one wore seat belts. I can tell you that more people will die than would have if everyone smoked cigarettes. Of course a 2 degree C rise in temp will cause more people to die than already would have. How many, I don't know, hopefully it will be you and not someone else that actually gives a shit.

http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar4/wg1/ar4-wg1-spm.pdf

IPCC - Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change

Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, and since the 1950s, many of the observed changes are unprecedented over decades to millennia. The atmosphere and ocean have warmed, the amounts of snow and ice have diminished, sea level has risen, and the concentrations of greenhouse gases have increased (see Figures SPM.1, SPM.2, SPM.3 and SPM.4). {2.2, 2.4, 3.2, 3.7, 4.2–4.7, 5.2, 5.3, 5.5–5.6, 6.2, 13.2}

Beyond this, it becomes an exercise in morbid curiosity.

Over the last two decades, the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets have been losing mass, glaciers have continued to shrink almost worldwide, and Arctic sea ice and Northern Hemisphere spring snow cover have continued to decrease in extent (high confidence) (see Figure SPM.3). {4.2–4.7}

This is probably the most significant issue;

"Changes in the global water cycle in response to the warming over the 21st century will not be uniform. The contrast in precipitation between wet and dry regions and between wet and dry seasons will increase, although there may be regional exceptions (see Figure SPM.8). {12.4, 14.3} "

"Global surface temperature change for the end of the 21st century is likely to exceed 1.5°C relative to 1850 to 1900 for all RCP scenarios except RCP2.6. It is likely to exceed 2°C for RCP6.0 and RCP8.5, and more likely than not to exceed 2°C for RCP4.5. Warming will continue beyond 2100 under all RCP scenarios except RCP2.6. Warming will continue to exhibit interannual-to-decadal variability and will not be regionally uniform (see Figures SPM.7 and SPM.8). {11.3, 12.3, 12.4, 14.8} "

"It is virtually certain that there will be more frequent hot and fewer cold temperature extremes over most land areas on daily and seasonal timescales as global mean temperatures increase. It is very likely that heat waves will occur with a higher frequency and duration. Occasional cold winter extremes will continue to occur (see Table SPM.1). {12.4}"

If you are looking for a sudden catastrophic event, you will be sorely disappointed, because it isn't some single and sudden catastrophic event. If I am to understand it appropriately, we can expect a significant shift in the climate with an increase in drought magnitude and duration in already drought susceptible regions along with an increase in precipitation events in precipitation susceptible regions.

Simply put, whatever the worse weather is that an area gets, it will be more of it.

That is in our lifetime. Unabated, global warming and climate change isn't going to impact us, individually, beyond that. Prices may take a hit, as crops fail more often. Unabated, it will get worse over the span of a century. You will be dead and gone by then, so you don't have to worry about it. You can go watch reruns on TV.

But, why would we intentionally fuck things up for ourselves and everyone else?

What happened during the Holocene Thermal Maximum when temps were warmer than today?

What happened to who?

People can and do die from all kinds of things.

But can you tell me that a 2 degree C rise in temp will cause more people to die than already would have?

NO

So all the dire predictions of the disasters coming due to warming are bullshit.
But that you can't seem to understand my posts isn't your fault it's mine. I'm not used to conversing with people who can't think beyond the words on a page.

All the dire "predictions of the disasters coming due" is not "bullshit". Depending on what those predictions are, they are simply a matter of time. The timing is, of course, everything.

I can tell you that more people will die than would have if no one wore seat belts. I can tell you that more people will die than would have if everyone smoked cigarettes. Of course a 2 degree C rise in temp will cause more people to die than already would have. How many, I don't know, hopefully it will be you and not someone else that actually gives a shit.

Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, and since the 1950s, many of the observed changes are unprecedented over decades to millennia. The atmosphere and ocean have warmed, the amounts of snow and ice have diminished, sea level has risen, and the concentrations of greenhouse gases have increased (see Figures SPM.1, SPM.2, SPM.3 and SPM.4). {2.2, 2.4, 3.2, 3.7, 4.2–4.7, 5.2, 5.3, 5.5–5.6, 6.2, 13.2}

Over the last two decades, the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets have been losing mass, glaciers have continued to shrink almost worldwide, and Arctic sea ice and Northern Hemisphere spring snow cover have continued to decrease in extent (high confidence) (see Figure SPM.3). {4.2–4.7}

"Changes in the global water cycle in response to the warming over the 21st century will not be uniform. The contrast in precipitation between wet and dry regions and between wet and dry seasons will increase, although there may be regional exceptions (see Figure SPM.8). {12.4, 14.3} "

"Global surface temperature change for the end of the 21st century is likely to exceed 1.5°C relative to 1850 to 1900 for all RCP scenarios except RCP2.6. It is likely to exceed 2°C for RCP6.0 and RCP8.5, and more likely than not to exceed 2°C for RCP4.5. Warming will continue beyond 2100 under all RCP scenarios except RCP2.6. Warming will continue to exhibit interannual-to-decadal variability and will not be regionally uniform (see Figures SPM.7 and SPM.8). {11.3, 12.3, 12.4, 14.8} "

"It is virtually certain that there will be more frequent hot and fewer cold temperature extremes over most land areas on daily and seasonal timescales as global mean temperatures increase. It is very likely that heat waves will occur with a higher frequency and duration. Occasional cold winter extremes will continue to occur (see Table SPM.1). {12.4}"

If you are looking for a sudden catastrophic event, you will be sorely disappointed, because it isn't some single and sudden catastrophic event. If I am to understand it appropriately, we can expect a significant shift in the climate with an increase in drought magnitude and duration in already drought susceptible regions along with an increase in precipitation events in precipitation susceptible regions.

Simply put, whatever the worse weather is that an area gets, it will be more of it.

That is in our lifetime. Unabated, global warming and climate change isn't going to impact us, individually, beyond that. Prices may take a hit, as crops fail more often. Unabated, it will get worse over the span of a century. You will be dead and gone by then, so you don't have to worry about it. You can go watch reruns on TV.

What happened during the Holocene Thermal Maximum when temps were warmer than today?

We all died. :lol:

Give me 3 good reasons why I should care that the climate is changing.

1) Ka-ching!

9117148_1_l.jpg

So Al Gore can continue to collect millions of dollars in speaking infotainment engagements every week.

2) So Climategate Professor, Phil Jones, can continue to feel good about himself.

9780531120859_xlg.jpg

Prof. Jones has admitted sending 'some pretty awful' emails refusing to send information on to other scientists.

3) So you can plan what to wear:

th

or

th

We all died. :lol:

LOL. I do really believe that you are that fucking dumb.

What happened to who?

Every living thing.

I keep forgetting. Conservatives are not permitted to learn from sources not approved by cult media propaganda.

OK with me. The more ignorant conservatives are the faster the movement will flush.

Are you even remotely aware of the problems wiki has had with information relating to climate change science, among other things? Asking wiki about any controversial issue is like asking tobacco companies about the dangers of tobacco. Only an idiot would refer to wiki on any topic related to climate science.

Last edited:
Go to this link and locate for us "climate change", global warming" or "agw"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:List_of_controversial_issues

Yeah, amazing command of the facts you've got there Sid.

I don't go to wiki....ever. It is pointless to go to questionable sources and people who use them become questionable.

If you can't find an edit of the second law that suits you outside of wiki then the discussion is over because compared to the University of Georgia Physics Department, wiki doesn't even rise to the level of toilet paper.

I have to disagree with you here P. The more ignorance in the world, the more conservatives. I mean, look at some of the examples around here.

Go to this link and locate for us "climate change", global warming" or "agw"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:List_of_controversial_issues

Yeah, amazing command of the facts you've got there Sid.

I don't go to wiki....ever. It is pointless to go to questionable sources and people who use them become questionable.

If you can't find an edit of the second law that suits you outside of wiki then the discussion is over because compared to the University of Georgia Physics Department, wiki doesn't even rise to the level of toilet paper.

I've got a decent explanation in my old Thermo textbook, but, GUESS WHAT? It says the same thing Wiki says and I don't have to transcribe it from the paper to the screen.

EVERYBODY knows that when people - almost universally conservatives - argue that Wikipedia is a bad source, the real cause of their objection is that they've been caught with their pants down. Wikipedia has been found to be more accurate than the Encyclopedia Brittanica. Good enough for me. If they say that your understanding of thermodynamics is complete bullshit (and they do) I believe 'em. Of course, they're only confirming the conclusion at which I'd already arrived. But that's what happens when you're right about something.

The IPCC is a political organization.

Sorry but you cannot with any certainty prove anything you say will happen for a fact.

There are potentially many benefits to a slightly warmer climate.

Why do you ignore what is such a simple idea in favor of your catastrophic mind set?

It's not for the scientists to do anything but dispassionately present their findings with the caveat that their predictions might be completely wrong.

But they don't do that they like you are predicting inevitable catastrophes

That alone is reason not to get too worked up about it.

There is zero evidence that the IPCC is anything but what their mission states. You are counting on a politically motivated conspiracy theory to be true. Trying to avoid that is what inspired the UN to create the IPCC.

The forces of politics are relentless. It is not in the least bit unusual for politicians to employ all manner of truth bending to get their way. On the other hand, it's extremely unusual in legitimate science. Maybe even unprecedented.

People who side with politics and deny science are politicians.

I have never denied the science.

The earth is warming slightly

People have an effect on climate.

I am of the mind that the predictions are overblown and exaggerated and is the result of politicizing the science.

Sorry but to say that a couple degree rise in temperature will be disastrous for the entire planet is just as bad as saying the climate is not changing.

There is zero evidence that the IPCC is anything but what their mission states. You are counting on a politically motivated conspiracy theory to be true. Trying to avoid that is what inspired the UN to create the IPCC.

The forces of politics are relentless. It is not in the least bit unusual for politicians to employ all manner of truth bending to get their way. On the other hand, it's extremely unusual in legitimate science. Maybe even unprecedented.

People who side with politics and deny science are politicians.

I am of the mind that the predictions are overblown and exaggerated and is the result of politicizing the science.

Sorry but to say that a couple degree rise in temperature will be disastrous for the entire planet is just as bad as saying the climate is not changing.

It's disastrous for people who live near the coast, that's 2 billion or so peeps who are moving inland, causing problems for the people already living inland. So that's a lot of peeps, 3 or 4 billion out of 7 billion. And don't forget that these displaced people lost their means to grow food, so the rest of us will have to make that up, spiking food price. Yes, it could be really bad.

There is no reliable prediction as to how much sea levels will rise.

Your inevitable doom scenario is best taken with a grain of salt.

It's disastrous for people who live near the coast, that's 2 billion or so peeps who are moving inland, causing problems for the people already living inland. So that's a lot of peeps, 3 or 4 billion out of 7 billion. And don't forget that these displaced people lost their means to grow food, so the rest of us will have to make that up, spiking food price. Yes, it could be really bad.

There is no reliable prediction as to how much sea levels will rise.

Your inevitable doom scenario is best taken with a grain of salt.

What is reliable is that there is no evidence or prediction that sea levels will remain constant or drop over the time period in question.

Forum List

Back