Why doesn't the USA have a militia system?

American junk the new rifles are. In the end though I ain't fighting for America's. Too old. Just got done benching 250 for 8. Get my point? Can you read deep?

American junk the new rifles are. In the end though I ain't fighting for America's. Too old. Just got done benching 250 for 8. Get my point? Can you read deep?

Yes, I understand that you're an internet blowhard. It's not hard to decipher. Regardless, there are plenty of PEOPLE in the militia. That's all that matters.

There would be no more doubt about who was armed, and if anything did happen everyone would be expected by everyone else to at least show up.

250 8 reps is damn good for a 50 year old, hell, a lot of 20 year olds. You're entitled to your opinions.....glad you're still around.

Dang right. Just angry my brother died the way he did. If you knew you would wonder how any army could be that inept.

I've been reading about the Swiss, and i have to say i'm quite impressed with their system of Militia service. All qualified citizens are issued government automatic rifles and a box of ammunition. Their self-defense laws are very European, but they are a very heavily armed society. Somewhere in the range of 1/4 to 1/3rd of all citizenry have automatic weapons within reach.

They have training requirements and must qualify with their weapons occasionally. They also have military exercises with their reserve unit.

Under American law, every able bodied male between the ages of 18-49 is considered the 'unorganized Militia'.

In the past, high schools and colleges would have shooting competitions and so on. I believe the Civilian Marksmanship Program(CMP) is a leftover from that era. the NRA, originally, was also focused on that goal before they moved towards a legislative role.

Many have called for bringing back the Draft. We've got a wonderful professional military, and i don't think the draft, at this point, is necessary. But having a large reserve of trained potential soldiers would be very helpful should such a need arise. I think the cost of maintaining such a Militia system would be high. But i think the extra security brought to our nation in case of potential foreign threat would far outweigh the cost.

The United States is geographically very large with a vast diversity of environments. Huge mountain ranges, wide open deserts, dense urban areas, vast winter tundras, forests, Swamps... Surely invading the United States would be much more difficult than invading Switzerland. Once the bridges and infrastructure are destroyed by U.S. military or insurgent forces, traversing this huge country would be a logistical nightmare. We have a huge reserve of former military and LEO forces in our population as well.

One of the big SHTF scenarios talked about doesn't involve zombies, but involves some form of foreign invasion of U.S. soil. Such as by Russia or China. Though the chances of such a hostile invasion of the Mainland United States are low to negligible, it's not an impossible scenario. But would it be worth the cost of such a system?

250px-USA_topo_en.jpg

We do. It's called the PEOPLE.
Excluding the liberals that is....:lol:
We have Reserves, National Guard and veterans who are subject to recall in a national emergency. "We don't need no stinkin' liberals!"
So what is the last war conservatives won?
upload_2016-12-29_17-22-25.png

Where does it say that "every able bodied American male between the ages of 18 and 49 is part of the unorganized militia"? the National Guard is sometimes called the "militia" and most states (including NY) have something they call the "State Guard". It's interesting to note that the instructors at the once venerable institution often called "the West Point of the South", Virginia Military Institute aka VMI, are more often than not civilians who never served in the Military and accept a commission in the Virginia State Guard in order to be qualified to wear the uniform of the United States Military.

Last edited:
Yes it snowballed. Sticks in my craw. But yes 250 by 8. 80 years young. Eat lots of veggies. Home grown...no toxins like pesticides. That and a lot of activity.....oh...and venison....venison burgers, steaks, chops. No beef with chemicals. No fast food either. That stuff kills.

Infantry tactics ain't that complicated...you're basically either ambushing or avoiding an ambush. I could take a bunch of blockheads out into the field for a week, drill them on the basics, and return with a mediocre platoon...enough to represent somewhat efficiently...at least to the point where they weren't shooting each other. :lol:
Infantry training (ITR) in the Marine Corps was only five weeks when I went through it in 1957. Those five weeks took place after thirteen weeks of boot camp. So it seems you're saying seventeen of those collective weeks were wasted?

My infantry training consisted of seven words: "Follow the guy in front of you."

I've been reading about the Swiss, and i have to say i'm quite impressed with their system of Militia service. All qualified citizens are issued government automatic rifles and a box of ammunition. Their self-defense laws are very European, but they are a very heavily armed society. Somewhere in the range of 1/4 to 1/3rd of all citizenry have automatic weapons within reach.

They have training requirements and must qualify with their weapons occasionally. They also have military exercises with their reserve unit.

Under American law, every able bodied male between the ages of 18-49 is considered the 'unorganized Militia'.

In the past, high schools and colleges would have shooting competitions and so on. I believe the Civilian Marksmanship Program(CMP) is a leftover from that era. the NRA, originally, was also focused on that goal before they moved towards a legislative role.

Many have called for bringing back the Draft. We've got a wonderful professional military, and i don't think the draft, at this point, is necessary. But having a large reserve of trained potential soldiers would be very helpful should such a need arise. I think the cost of maintaining such a Militia system would be high. But i think the extra security brought to our nation in case of potential foreign threat would far outweigh the cost.

The United States is geographically very large with a vast diversity of environments. Huge mountain ranges, wide open deserts, dense urban areas, vast winter tundras, forests, Swamps... Surely invading the United States would be much more difficult than invading Switzerland. Once the bridges and infrastructure are destroyed by U.S. military or insurgent forces, traversing this huge country would be a logistical nightmare. We have a huge reserve of former military and LEO forces in our population as well.

One of the big SHTF scenarios talked about doesn't involve zombies, but involves some form of foreign invasion of U.S. soil. Such as by Russia or China. Though the chances of such a hostile invasion of the Mainland United States are low to negligible, it's not an impossible scenario. But would it be worth the cost of such a system?

250px-USA_topo_en.jpg
The USA does have a militia system on the books (within the US Code). It is currently dormant however.

Nobody has tried to invade us since the British in the War Of 1812 -- which was the USA's last attempt to conquer Canada -- 205 years ago.

It covers all males up to 50, and former military up to 65, or so.

The two most likely candidates to try to invade the USA in the future if SHTF would be Mexico or China. If you read "One Second After" by Forstchen you would be able to get the picture.

That would be the only time we might need to activate a militia.

Otherwise the various states' National Guards do all that kind of local work now for disaster relief and riot control.

If you have been a civilian all your life and never been in the military then in a militia mobilization situation they would just pair you up with a veteran and tell you to do what he/she says. That's how it would work.

Hopefully you already have your own gun(s) and you know how to shoot straight. You need a few hundred rounds of your own ammo for it too. So a few mags and a mag pouch or vest would be good too.

They will then teach you better gun handling rules, which you probably do not have yet.

Last edited:
Infantry tactics ain't that complicated...you're basically either ambushing or avoiding an ambush. I could take a bunch of blockheads out into the field for a week, drill them on the basics, and return with a mediocre platoon...enough to represent somewhat efficiently...at least to the point where they weren't shooting each other. :lol:
Infantry training (ITR) in the Marine Corps was only five weeks when I went through it in 1957. Those five weeks took place after thirteen weeks of boot camp. So it seems you're saying seventeen of those collective weeks were wasted?
Officers get 6 months of additional training after their first 13 weeks for infantry. So the USMC really pounds it into you, and rightly so.

Semper fi, my brother.

Where does it say that "every able bodied American male between the ages of 18 and 49 is part of the unorganized militia"? the National Guard is sometimes called the "militia" and most states (including NY) have something they call the "State Guard". It's interesting to note that the instructors at the once venerable institution often called "the West Point of the South", Virginia Military Institute aka VMI, are more often than not civilians who never served in the Military and accept a commission in the Virginia State Guard in order to be qualified to wear the uniform of the United States Military.
It's in the US Code.

[...]

But having a large reserve of trained potential soldiers would be very helpful should such a need arise.

[...]
Therein lies the tale!

Back in the seventies and beyond it was possible for the U.S. government to field millions of competent soldiers (veterans) with just two or three weeks of refresher training. That was because as the result of the draft the average American male was a trained soldier.

Today that simply would not be possible.
What usually happens is that they (the US Govt) would re-draft all the recent vets and make them officers. Then the slimy civilians would be drafted en masse and the vets would be their trainers.

That's what happened to my dad in 1942 right after Pearl Harbor. He became a US Army 1st Lt overnight from being an Illinois Natl Guardsman buck sergeant.

Thus the young vets would become lieutenants and captains to serves as small unit leaders while the old vets would become majors and lt colonels to serve as staff officers. The regular Army, Navy, Marines, and USAF officers and NCO's would then mostly become field and fleet commanders, and a lot of mothballed equipment would come back into service.

250px-USA_topo_en.jpg
We do have a militia, the moment you escape the left wing abortion mill and actually get to live you have the right to arm and defend yourself. Simply being a live human makes you part of the militia. Purchasing and learning how to operate these firearms is up to you. Learn to shoot and arm yourself. Welcome to the militia.

I'm nnow 80 years old. So what do you expect? I cross country skied 7 miles....lifted weights but I'll be damned if I will fight.....not going to happen. Too hard.
At 80 years old you could still man a recruiting station.

Forum List

Back