Why doesn't the USA have a militia system?

If a nuke or nukes are detonated above the surface of the earth strategically, and therefore they create a magnetic pulse that knocks out our various defenses as is based upon modern technologies now, and if they are defenses that are depended upon satlelite signal systems, electricity/the grid, and various other ways we utilize such things, then an invasion would come soon after I would think. Such a strike would probably be used in order to soften up the area of entry if we're used in such a way.
This is the plot in "One Second After" by Forstchen.

If you have not read the book it is a really good read.

It is one of those books that you cannot put down once you start reading it.

Nope...not a vet. My brother was...he died in a non combat accident many moons ago for nothing. Died for less than nothing in the pacific. Less than nothing. He died with honor...I disagree.
Sorry about your brother.

Military training is hard and dangerous and several people die during it every year.

Can't be helped.

For some branches like the USMC the training is actually harder than the subsequent combat.

That's just the way it is.

Bolt actions far better than the JUNK american rifles now.
Actually this is not true.

Bolt action rifles are more accurate -- out to 1000 yards -- whereas semi auto rifles are better for CQB and from 0 to 500 yards.

Where does it say that "every able bodied American male between the ages of 18 and 49 is part of the unorganized militia"? the National Guard is sometimes called the "militia" and most states (including NY) have something they call the "State Guard". It's interesting to note that the instructors at the once venerable institution often called "the West Point of the South", Virginia Military Institute aka VMI, are more often than not civilians who never served in the Military and accept a commission in the Virginia State Guard in order to be qualified to wear the uniform of the United States Military.
It's in the US Code.
You can't just say "the U.S. Code". It's the basis for your entire freaking argument. What does the U.S. Code say and how do you interpret it?

Everyone who wants to be safe from crime or foreign domination needs at least 2 guns of their own, a side arm and a long gun, and ammo for them both. This includes males and females.

These can be any guns of your choosing.

The side arm can be a pistol or a revolver.

The long gun can be a shotgun, bolt action rifle, or semi auto.

You should have a backpack of some kind with a tent and sleeping bag too. Because if you need to defend your town against Chinese or Mexicans, then you won't be sleeping in a hotel.

For females, if they cannot handle the 9x19's or larger, they can get a .380 mouse gun. For the mouse guns just make sure it has an extended magazine so that you/she can grip it with their whole hand, or both hands. Otherwise the mouse guns are very erratic.

The nice thing about the 5.56x45 assault guns is that they are very low recoil and any female can easily handle these just like the men.

You can't just say "the U.S. Code". It's the basis for your entire freaking argument. What does the U.S. Code say and how do you interpret it?
I am not going to look up the provisions in the US Code on militia obligations for your lazy arse.

Do it yourself.

Google is your friend.

Last edited:
I've been reading about the Swiss, and i have to say i'm quite impressed with their system of Militia service. All qualified citizens are issued government automatic rifles and a box of ammunition. Their self-defense laws are very European, but they are a very heavily armed society. Somewhere in the range of 1/4 to 1/3rd of all citizenry have automatic weapons within reach.

They have training requirements and must qualify with their weapons occasionally. They also have military exercises with their reserve unit.

Under American law, every able bodied male between the ages of 18-49 is considered the 'unorganized Militia'.

In the past, high schools and colleges would have shooting competitions and so on. I believe the Civilian Marksmanship Program(CMP) is a leftover from that era. the NRA, originally, was also focused on that goal before they moved towards a legislative role.

Many have called for bringing back the Draft. We've got a wonderful professional military, and i don't think the draft, at this point, is necessary. But having a large reserve of trained potential soldiers would be very helpful should such a need arise. I think the cost of maintaining such a Militia system would be high. But i think the extra security brought to our nation in case of potential foreign threat would far outweigh the cost.

The United States is geographically very large with a vast diversity of environments. Huge mountain ranges, wide open deserts, dense urban areas, vast winter tundras, forests, Swamps... Surely invading the United States would be much more difficult than invading Switzerland. Once the bridges and infrastructure are destroyed by U.S. military or insurgent forces, traversing this huge country would be a logistical nightmare. We have a huge reserve of former military and LEO forces in our population as well.

One of the big SHTF scenarios talked about doesn't involve zombies, but involves some form of foreign invasion of U.S. soil. Such as by Russia or China. Though the chances of such a hostile invasion of the Mainland United States are low to negligible, it's not an impossible scenario. But would it be worth the cost of such a system?

250px-USA_topo_en.jpg
Every State has a militia.
It's called the National Guard.

Infantry tactics ain't that complicated...you're basically either ambushing or avoiding an ambush. I could take a bunch of blockheads out into the field for a week, drill them on the basics, and return with a mediocre platoon...enough to represent somewhat efficiently...at least to the point where they weren't shooting each other. :lol:
Infantry training (ITR) in the Marine Corps was only five weeks when I went through it in 1957. Those five weeks took place after thirteen weeks of boot camp. So it seems you're saying seventeen of those collective weeks were wasted?

Not at all...what I'm saying is you were introduced into the entire USMC culture which involved all aspects of life in the field. You had physical conditioning, learned the laws and bylaws of the Corps, rifle range, various munitions and how they worked in a system, orienting, map-reading, etc etc etc. What I'm talking about is taking 25 guys into the field with their own weapons, haircuts, diverse backgrounds I have no intention of molding into something else. What they'd get from me is basic maneuvering, guns up, retreats, fire-base set ups, sentry-duty, and ambush tactics both initiated and avoided. In other words what I believe to be what national guard units get in their week or two of yearly summer training.

I've been reading about the Swiss, and i have to say i'm quite impressed with their system of Militia service. All qualified citizens are issued government automatic rifles and a box of ammunition. Their self-defense laws are very European, but they are a very heavily armed society. Somewhere in the range of 1/4 to 1/3rd of all citizenry have automatic weapons within reach.

They have training requirements and must qualify with their weapons occasionally. They also have military exercises with their reserve unit.

Under American law, every able bodied male between the ages of 18-49 is considered the 'unorganized Militia'.

In the past, high schools and colleges would have shooting competitions and so on. I believe the Civilian Marksmanship Program(CMP) is a leftover from that era. the NRA, originally, was also focused on that goal before they moved towards a legislative role.

Many have called for bringing back the Draft. We've got a wonderful professional military, and i don't think the draft, at this point, is necessary. But having a large reserve of trained potential soldiers would be very helpful should such a need arise. I think the cost of maintaining such a Militia system would be high. But i think the extra security brought to our nation in case of potential foreign threat would far outweigh the cost.

The United States is geographically very large with a vast diversity of environments. Huge mountain ranges, wide open deserts, dense urban areas, vast winter tundras, forests, Swamps... Surely invading the United States would be much more difficult than invading Switzerland. Once the bridges and infrastructure are destroyed by U.S. military or insurgent forces, traversing this huge country would be a logistical nightmare. We have a huge reserve of former military and LEO forces in our population as well.

One of the big SHTF scenarios talked about doesn't involve zombies, but involves some form of foreign invasion of U.S. soil. Such as by Russia or China. Though the chances of such a hostile invasion of the Mainland United States are low to negligible, it's not an impossible scenario. But would it be worth the cost of such a system?

250px-USA_topo_en.jpg
The militia system was overrun and quashed by Lincoln's infant military-industrial complex.

All Murican military power has been concentrated in and operated from the District of Columbia, since 1865.

Mauser's are great collectors' guns.

I think when Paul Mauser invented his bolt action design in the 1890's he got the idea from the British Lee-Enfield's. This was the new "assault rifle" of that era before Adolf coined the term in the early 1940's.

The Russians and the Japanese then copied the Lee-Enfield's as well and improved upon them somewhat.

The US design for the 1903 Springfield was forged at the Springfield Armory in Massachusetts shortly thereafter.

All these bolt action guns were hot stuff for the military in the early 20th Century. Now they are mostly a hunting design.

The heavier British calibers and bullets were from their heritage of hunting in India and Africa. And the Germans and Americans tended to follow in their footsteps and make the same heavy caliber and bullet weight mistakes.

The Japanese did a better job ultimately with their 6.5x50 Arisaka. It was slightly smaller than the American 30-06 of that era and way smaller than the British 303.

The 6.5 is probably the very best mid to long range anti personnel bullet and the Japanese got that right.

For CQB in jungle or cityscapes however, nobody had thought of a short barreled carbine yet. The later German STG's and Russian AK's were better for that. And since then the AK has evolved to be the most popular carbine/rifle world wide.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back