Why Finnish babies sleep in cardboard boxes

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
BBC News - Why Finnish babies sleep in cardboard boxes

For 75 years, Finland's expectant mothers have been given a box by the state. It's like a starter kit of clothes, sheets and toys that can even be used as a bed. And some say it helped Finland achieve one of the world's lowest infant mortality rates.

It's a tradition that dates back to the 1930s and it's designed to give all children in Finland, no matter what background they're from, an equal start in life.

The maternity package - a gift from the government - is available to all expectant mothers.

It contains bodysuits, a sleeping bag, outdoor gear, bathing products for the baby, as well as nappies, bedding and a small mattress.

With the mattress in the bottom, the box becomes a baby's first bed. Many children, from all social backgrounds, have their first naps within the safety of the box's four cardboard walls.

I read something about this last week. Imagine that, a Government that cares about its people! I also read that Finland ranks #1 in education, even though children do not start school until they are 7. Maybe we should look into that.

I read something about this last week. Imagine that, a Government that cares about its people! I also read that Finland ranks #1 in education, even though children do not start school until they are 7. Maybe we should look into that.
Maybe we should look into being all white Fascist/Nazi tundra dwellers.

Maybe we should look into being all white Fascist/Nazi tundra dwellers.

Sounds like something you should look into.

You see a Government that cares about its people. I see Millions of dollars a year being wasted on parents who should damn well be able to support a child before having one, and if they can't.... well, too damn bad.

Childbirth and education.... 2 things the US Government has no legitimate mandate to legislate or spend money on. :)

BBC News - Why Finnish babies sleep in cardboard boxes

For 75 years, Finland's expectant mothers have been given a box by the state. It's like a starter kit of clothes, sheets and toys that can even be used as a bed. And some say it helped Finland achieve one of the world's lowest infant mortality rates.

It's a tradition that dates back to the 1930s and it's designed to give all children in Finland, no matter what background they're from, an equal start in life.

The maternity package - a gift from the government - is available to all expectant mothers.

It contains bodysuits, a sleeping bag, outdoor gear, bathing products for the baby, as well as nappies, bedding and a small mattress.

With the mattress in the bottom, the box becomes a baby's first bed. Many children, from all social backgrounds, have their first naps within the safety of the box's four cardboard walls.

Sensible idea.

You see a Government that cares about its people. I see Millions of dollars a year being wasted on parents who should damn well be able to support a child before having one, and if they can't.... well, too damn bad.

Childbirth and education.... 2 things the US Government has no legitimate mandate to legislate or spend money on. :)

Ya, not like an American leader or icon ever came from a poor family. Audie Murphy was a secret billionaire.

Ya, not like an American leader or icon ever came from a poor family. Audie Murphy was a secret billionaire.

100% irrelevant to the point. Unless you can show me some part of Article I, Section 8 of the US Constitition where the Government is given DIRECT and SPECIFIC authority to legislate and spend on Education or Childbirth/Child Care, the Government has no place being involved in it.

Well then, I guess we'll just lag behind in education. You might as well quit waiving around your "we're # 1" sign.

Your response is weird, IMO, since it takes healthy, educated, citizens to succeed as a country.

Well then, I guess we'll just lag behind in education. You might as well quit waiving around your "we're # 1" sign.

Your response is weird, IMO, since it takes healthy, educated, citizens to succeed as a country.

The United States was intended to be a country where people who wanted to make themselves and their families existance better came to have that opportunity. This was never intended to be a nation where the Government made people's lives better in spite of themselves. If the population does not want to take care of itself, then the country SHOULD FAIL.

The United States was intended to be a country where people who wanted to make themselves and their families existance better came to have that opportunity. This was never intended to be a nation where the Government made people's lives better in spite of themselves. If the population does not want to take care of itself, then the country SHOULD FAIL.

I disagree. I don't think it's a sin for the Government to try to end hunger in this country. Also, I see nothing wrong with looking into where other countries are succeeding to improve our own system, instead of staying stuck in "fail" mode.

What we're doing isn't working, unless you're proud to be # 1 in incarceration. I'm not. I know we can do better.

They're a morose lot.

Every single one of them?

Probably. They like to brood.

Well, whatever they're doing over there, they're beating us all to hell on education.

How Finland Reached the Top of the Educational Rankings - NEA Today

The point is, you cannot equate 4 million Scandinavians with 350,000,000 diverse Americans.

You can look at what they do, but you cannot just assume it would work here.

I disagree. I don't think it's a sin for the Government to try to end hunger in this country. Also, I see nothing wrong with looking into where other countries are succeeding to improve our own system, instead of staying stuck in "fail" mode.

Whether it's a sin or not is totally irrelevant. The only relevant factor is what the US Constitution says about it; and the Constitution is very clear that there is no legitimate mandate for Social Spending in the US. Without a Constitutional Amendment NONE of that spending or legislation will ever be legitimate.

What we're doing isn't working, unless you're proud to be # 1 in incarceration. I'm not. I know we can do better.

Honestly, I'd rather be #1 in Executions of felons, violent offenders, drug users and other moral deviants than incarcerations. The way we're going to do better is to go back to the way things were PRIOR to 1860, not since then.

Forum List

Back