Why Finnish babies sleep in cardboard boxes

I read something about this last week. Imagine that, a Government that cares about its people! I also read that Finland ranks #1 in education, even though children do not start school until they are 7. Maybe we should look into that.

They're a morose lot.

Every single one of them?

Probably. They like to brood.

Well, whatever they're doing over there, they're beating us all to hell on education.

I was impressed with some of the elementary schools I've visited in the US.

I read something about this last week. Imagine that, a Government that cares about its people! I also read that Finland ranks #1 in education, even though children do not start school until they are 7. Maybe we should look into that.

They're a morose lot.

Well, whatever they're doing over there, they're beating us all to hell on education.

We should send them 100,000 Democrats, see if they can teach them anything.

They're a morose lot.

Most of my teaching career was in K-8 or K-12 schools.

They couldn't for the most part teach basic reading.

The ones that came in to school read to and reading did ok.

Those that came in not knowing basic alphabet, numbers and colors rarely ever caught up.

Atrophied brains cannot usually be rehabilitated.

It starts in the home.

I wonder what the percentage of single, teen moms in Finland is?

They're a morose lot.

We should send them 100,000 Democrats, see if they can teach them anything.

Why? Democrats are the ones willing to learn from the success stories of others.

Most of my teaching career was in K-8 or K-12 schools.

They couldn't for the most part teach basic reading.

The ones that came in to school read to and reading did ok.

Those that came in not knowing basic alphabet, numbers and colors rarely ever caught up.

Atrophied brains cannot usually be rehabilitated.

It starts in the home.

I wonder what the percentage of single, teen moms in Finland is?

Huh? You were a teacher?

They're a morose lot.

I think that depends on the neighborhood. IMO, we should level the playing field. It would certainly be a win-win for everyone.

You see a Government that cares about its people. I see Millions of dollars a year being wasted on parents who should damn well be able to support a child before having one, and if they can't.... well, too damn bad.

Childbirth and education.... 2 things the US Government has no legitimate mandate to legislate or spend money on. :)

They can't afford to when the Government takes 75% of their pay check each week.
That's awful to have to start your baby in cardboard box, but it gives you an incite to the left that this is wonderful look at all the free stuff.

They can't afford to when the Government takes 75% of their pay check each week.

Maybe the Government wouldn't have to be taking all that money from them if they weren't trying to socially-engineer the entire country with crap like baby boxes.

That's awful to have to start your baby in cardboard box, but it gives you an incite to the left that this is wonderful look at all the free stuff.

I'v ehad that insight for years. I have some physical and neurological issues and many of the people my family knew couldn't believe my parents would rather actually make me do the things necessary to become a productive member of society rather than going on SSDI or a similar program.

You see a Government that cares about its people. I see Millions of dollars a year being wasted on parents who should damn well be able to support a child before having one, and if they can't.... well, too damn bad.

Childbirth and education.... 2 things the US Government has no legitimate mandate to legislate or spend money on. :)

Apparently, they like the cardboard box. I don't see anything awful about it. And since the wealthy and the poor receive the gift, it's more of a tradition.

Apparently, they like the cardboard box. I don't see anything awful about it. And since the wealthy and the poor receive the gift, it's more of a tradition.

They have no choice, when you don't have a choice you live with it and like it. So yes they will say they like it.
You don't see anything wrong with the Government taking 75% of your check and having babies sleep in cardboard boxes?
Why would you be for a lesser quality of life and everyone doing the same thing?
Diversity of life is what makes life interesting and equality makes it so boring.
This is exactly why some of them want to move here, for our diversity and to make their own choices and have a better quality of life. Which we are losing fast because of people who think like you do.
We are not Europe, we are America.
If you want government to take most of your hard earned money and want everything equal with no choices or freedom, move there. I think that you would change your mind after you got there.
Babies should be in wood or metal framed beds not boxes, that's what poor people have to do.
Then force the rich to do the same thing?
What is wrong with some Americans that thinks this is O.K.?

They have no choice, when you don't have a choice you live with it and like it. So yes they will say they like it.
You don't see anything wrong with the Government taking 75% of your check and having babies sleep in cardboard boxes?
Why would you be for a lesser quality of life and everyone doing the same thing?
Diversity of life is what makes life interesting and equality makes it so boring.
This is exactly why some of them want to move here, for our diversity and to make their own choices and have a better quality of life. Which we are losing fast because of people who think like you do.
If you want government to take most of your hard earned money and want everything equal with no choices or freedom, move there. I think that you would change your mind after you got there.
Babies should be in wood or metal framed beds not boxes, that's what poor people have to do.

A nice place for the baby to sleep, and basic supplies, would be appreciated by millions of dependent class mothers.

Almost everything you've said is false. I read that they have to register for the gift, and almost everyone does. Not only that, but most take the gift over the cash...even the wealthier folks. And yes they have a choice. They can simply buy a bed. They pretty much have to since that tiny bed is temporary. And no, our quality of life is not better. Their life expectancy rate proves that. But don't worry, they still have a problem with income inequality, you'll be happy to hear.

So, you tell me, why shouldn't we look at what they are offering as far as education goes, when they're ranking # 1? Do you like lagging behind Finland? Are you waiting for perfection? If so, you're going to be waiting a long time.

OECD Better Life Index

A nice place for the baby to sleep, and basic supplies, would be appreciated by millions of dependent class mothers.

Complete bullshit. Even the wealthier citizens get the box. It's a damn tradition, and has been since 1930. And those so-called dependent mothers are more educated than we are.

Musing on stuff.....

Some years ago I was required to spend altogether too much time in Finland on business. The people were very nice and quite comfortable with their lives and life styles. I did find it disquieting that they tended to be heavy smokers who held their cigarettes like a movie Nazi and blew smoke into other folks face after the French fashion. But you get used to that.

Women in the working group who had extensive international experience found the Finns (males) more adept at grab-ass than Italian men but had a rather grim look whilst doing it as opposed to the Italians who seemed at least to be having fun.

Finns of both (I guess these days we'd have to say "all") sexes seemed most relaxed when stripped off and sweating in little shacks made of some really nice lumber. They were generous with their vodka but the parties took on a sort of bleak attitude when, on some magic signal, they all ran outdoors and rolled in the snow.

I sort of miss Finland. In the same way I might have missed having a case of piles were they suddenly gone.

I disagree. I don't think it's a sin for the Government to try to end hunger in this country. Also, I see nothing wrong with looking into where other countries are succeeding to improve our own system, instead of staying stuck in "fail" mode.

Whether it's a sin or not is totally irrelevant. The only relevant factor is what the US Constitution says about it; and the Constitution is very clear that there is no legitimate mandate for Social Spending in the US. Without a Constitutional Amendment NONE of that spending or legislation will ever be legitimate.

What we're doing isn't working, unless you're proud to be # 1 in incarceration. I'm not. I know we can do better.

Honestly, I'd rather be #1 in Executions of felons, violent offenders, drug users and other moral deviants than incarcerations. The way we're going to do better is to go back to the way things were PRIOR to 1860, not since then.

I don't know how I managed to miss this posting. Your "Neanderthal" attitude is amusing, but did you just say you want to go back to the way things were prior to 1860? Surely you meant 1960. Did you mean 1960? LOL!

Now the 1960's I can see, because our economy was growing, and a man could support his family without a college education. In 1860 the Southern states were dependent on slavery, and women could not vote. There were no child labor laws and folks didn't live very long. You might want to think that over for a bit.

Almost everything you've said is false. I read that they have to register for the gift, and almost everyone does. Not only that, but most take the gift over the cash...even the wealthier folks. And yes they have a choice. They can simply buy a bed. They pretty much have to since that tiny bed is temporary. And no, our quality of life is not better. Their life expectancy rate proves that. But don't worry, they still have a problem with income inequality, you'll be happy to hear.

So, you tell me, why shouldn't we look at what they are offering as far as education goes, when they're ranking # 1? Do you like lagging behind Finland? Are you waiting for perfection? If so, you're going to be waiting a long time.

OECD Better Life Index

Then stop voting for the Dems because they are not fixing the problem at all just throwing money at it and it goes for the teachers pensions instead of the students.

OECD Better Life Index

Then stop voting for the Dems because they are not fixing the problem at all just throwing money at it and it goes for the teachers pensions instead of the students.

I think you're just parroting what you've heard on right wing news. Can you show me an example of a Republican doing something to even the playing field in public education, that will benefit children who are the most in need? After all, when everyone is given opportunities, even our most vulnerable, that's when we really see successful results as a whole.

As far as the cardboard crib topic, I find it odd that you think its so awful, yet Finland has the lowest mortality rate. Do you think you might be in denial?

OECD Better Life Index

I think you're just parroting what you've heard on right wing news. Can you show me an example of a Republican doing something to even the playing field in public education, that will benefit children who are the most in need? After all, when everyone is given opportunities, even our most vulnerable, that's when we really see successful results as a whole.

As far as the cardboard crib topic, I find it odd that you think its so awful, yet Finland has the lowest mortality rate. Do you think you might be in denial?

I think that you are.
Republicans vouchers systems are working very well for our low income children.
Do some research on it.
More of them are staying in school and continue to go on to college.

OECD Better Life Index

I think that you are.
Republicans vouchers systems are working very well for our low income children.
Do some research on it.
More of them are staying in school and continue to go on to college.

Then I'm sure you have a link for these success stories, or stats.

I don't know how I managed to miss this posting. Your "Neanderthal" attitude is amusing, but did you just say you want to go back to the way things were prior to 1860? Surely you meant 1960. Did you mean 1960? LOL!

Now the 1960's I can see, because our economy was growing, and a man could support his family without a college education. In 1860 the Southern states were dependent on slavery, and women could not vote. There were no child labor laws and folks didn't live very long. You might want to think that over for a bit.

There is no typographical error. I said 1860 and meant 1860.

Forum List

Back