Why gun owners don't trust data banks on guns...M.D. police targeting gun owners from out of state..

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Using data bases....Maryland Police are stopping out of state cars and searching for guns.....

Are MD Cops Targeting Out-of-State Gun Owners for Traffic Stop Searches - The Truth About Guns

ā€œThe officers were searching for Mr. Filippidisā€˜ Florida-licensed, palm-size Kel-Tec .38 semi-automatic handgun, which he left at home locked in his safe. (Maryland does not recognize handgun permits issued by other states.)ā€ An event which raised all sorts of questions, the most obvious of which is . . .

How did the MTA know that Mr. Filipiddis had a gun? Itā€™s unlikely that someone dropped the dime on the Floridian. So the police must have tapped into a database of Sunshine State concealed carry license holders. Or, worse, a federal database of gun owners. Which isnā€™t supposed to exist. On the other hand . . .

According to the blaze.com, the MTA cop allegedly said ā€œYou own a gun. Where is it?ā€ That could have been a bluff. You know; like a customs agent asking a de-planing passenger ā€œare you carrying any drugs?ā€ Nowhere do I find an account which says the police knew the make and model of Mr. Fillipidisā€™ firearm. And then thereā€™s . . .

Hanlonā€™s razor. ā€œNever attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.ā€ Although Mr. Fillipidis says he didnā€™t know his vehicle smelled like marijuana ā€” the official reason the cops gave for searching his vehicle ā€” maybe Mr. F was high and mentioned the gun. Then again, thereā€™s this . . .

John Tonnesen IV of Lake Worth, Florida, was pulled over and arrested after a search of his work truck ā€” by the same officer who stopped Mr. Filippidis ā€” turned up his .45-caliber Ruger, licensed in the state of Florida. He doesnā€™t believe the stop was coincidental.

ā€œIt was unloaded and stuffed into a bag far from me,ā€ Mr. Tonnesen told The Times. ā€œThereā€™s scanners in Maryland that scan every tag, and Florida is one of their target vehicles. Theyā€™ll find whatever reason they can to pull you over.ā€

Well, thatā€™s two. Perhaps. Not exactly proof that ā€œstories are accumulatingā€ of a secret police program to [illegally] identify and arrest out-of-state gun owners.

Still, stranger things have happened. And the fact that all the cops will say about these incidents is that the searches were legal, raises a red flag. It could be that the police have been instructed to pull Florida tagged vehicles and search for guns ā€“ without knowing if they do or do not have a gat.

---------------------------

I never renewed my concealed carry license. I seldom carried it anyway., the main reason, that I never could find a holster that didn't cause my pants to fall down.

I never renewed my concealed carry license. I seldom carried it anyway., the main reason, that I never could find a holster that didn't cause my pants to fall down.

Well, you should renew even if you don't always carry...you never know when you might need to carry, and then you won't be able to legally....what if you had to pick up a loved one in a bad part of town late at night?

So....something to think about......

Yeah, I'll probably renew it one of these days, but in Virginia where I live, we are allowed to open carry. It just upsets a lot of hand wringers when they see somebody carrying in a public place. I never did, but like I said before, finding a decent holster for somebody like me with no ass is really difficult. My wife calls me the buttless wonder.:badgrin:

Yeah, I'll probably renew it one of these days, but in Virginia where I live, we are allowed to open carry. It just upsets a lot of hand wringers when they see somebody carrying in a public place. I never did, but like I said before, finding a decent holster for somebody like me with no ass is really difficult. My wife calls me the buttless wonder.:badgrin:
Try blackhawk.com. They have all sorts of CC holsters. XPostFacto

well, in that case I can see why there is no urgency....in Illinois we only recently got concealed carry and that is all we can do with a lot of restrictions on where we can.....we also need 16 hours of training that isn't that great...

well, in that case I can see why there is no urgency....in Illinois we only recently got concealed carry and that is all we can do with a lot of restrictions on where we can.....we also need 16 hours of training that isn't that great...

Back when I applied for my concealed carry permit, 1997, you had to have training as well, which consisted of a hunter safety course or 4 hours of classroom and range training at a local gun store. My wife and I attended the gun store training. It was very informative, and on the pistol range, we devastated the silhouette targets. They only required us to shoot from 6 yards, since the instructor said that most shootings occur either closer or within that six yard range. The wife and I were shooting at 15 and 25 yards, so that six yards was a cake walk, though the lady next to me failed. She had never fired a gun before and was firing her husband's .357 Magnum, not a good gun to start you out if you have never fired one before.

Forum List

Back