🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why housing is so expensive in California

Unlike Gooberville in the middle of nowhere, California is actually a desirable place to live.

Hence the high property values.

Economics 101.

No doubt California is nice, the scenery and weather is great. Having the highest income taxes, highest state sales tax, highest gas tax, highest homeless population...not so great.

Highest income tax. Yes.
Highest sales tax is Tennessee.
Highest gas tax is Pennsylvania.
Highest homeless population is New York City.

As usual you're 25% right.

Unlike Gooberville in the middle of nowhere, California is actually a desirable place to live.

Economics 101.
Real estate prices are high in California because the government there sucks ass, and for no other reason.
California's real estate costs so much because the work is here! If we had a shithole economy like texas or tennaassee homes would be cheap. It is not government or regulations that drive prices.

Economics 101.

No doubt California is nice, the scenery and weather is great. Having the highest income taxes, highest state sales tax, highest gas tax, highest homeless population...not so great.
And the highest wages for the people who work other than minimum wage jobs. We also voted for most of the taxes we pay.

One reason that housing is cheap in Tokyo is that fact that you can build on any size lot. If you have a 300 sq ft triangle shaped lot, you can build on it right up to the sidewalk, and many people do. There are no minimum sizes for bedrooms, kitchens or living rooms. In California there are all kinds of regulations saying you can't build within 10 feet of the property line, and so many feet from the road. You can't have more than two stories. and yada, yada, yada. There are also vast tracts of land that have been declared "open space" or "nature reserve" where nothing can be built. All these regulations drastically reduces the supply of buildable land.

Steve Jobs bought a 14 room mansion in 1984 and hated the design. it took him until like 2011 to tear it down because, again, "advocates" tied him up in court. His own house! He got it torn down finally after years of legal battles but died before he could build the house he wanted on the lot.

One reason that housing is cheap in Tokyo is that fact that you can build on any size lot. If you have a 300 sq ft triangle shaped lot, you can build on it right up to the sidewalk, and many people do. There are no minimum sizes for bedrooms, kitchens or living rooms. In California there are all kinds of regulations saying you can't build within 10 feet of the property line, and so many feet from the road. You can't have more than two stories. and yada, yada, yada. There are also vast tracts of land that have been declared "open space" or "nature reserve" where nothing can be built. All these regulations drastically reduces the supply of buildable land.

Steve Jobs bought a 14 room mansion in 1984 and hated the design. it took him until like 2011 to tear it down because, again, "advocates" tied him up in court. His own house! He got it torn down finally after years of legal battles but died before he could build the house he wanted on the lot.

What was the legal position of the "advocates?"

I like to watch the show "Flip or Flop" where a California couple makes a fortune buying delapidated houses and turning them into gems. On one show they wanted to redo the front yard of the home by installing sod. Their contractactor told them if they wanted to install sod, the newly updated local building code required them to install a drip irrigation system. Fixing the existing system wasn't allowed. They also had to cut down all the large trees on the property and replace them with mature trees. "Mature" means trees costing hundreds or even thousands of dollars. The total cost was estimated at $20,000

That's the way your local government promotes affordable housing!

The governent is here to help you. There's no such thing as bad regulations, right snowflakes?
I was renting a backyard guesthouse in Los Angeles. The city told the property owner that the structure, built in 1941, was out of code compliance and had to be demolished. I went to the building commission with him to see what could be done, grandfathered in, waivers, something. The property owner was told that HIS home was too old. Tear down everything and he could get permits and assistance to build seven luxury condos.
where I live, some of the older buildings [ 30s, 40s ] are built better than the newer ones---and look better

Heard tents are in high demand in California..............Bet you it costs more for a tent there.

:abgg2q.jpg:

I like to watch the show "Flip or Flop" where a California couple makes a fortune buying delapidated houses and turning them into gems. On one show they wanted to redo the front yard of the home by installing sod. Their contractactor told them if they wanted to install sod, the newly updated local building code required them to install a drip irrigation system. Fixing the existing system wasn't allowed. They also had to cut down all the large trees on the property and replace them with mature trees. "Mature" means trees costing hundreds or even thousands of dollars. The total cost was estimated at $20,000

That's the way your local government promotes affordable housing!

The governent is here to help you. There's no such thing as bad regulations, right snowflakes?
I was renting a backyard guesthouse in Los Angeles. The city told the property owner that the structure, built in 1941, was out of code compliance and had to be demolished. I went to the building commission with him to see what could be done, grandfathered in, waivers, something. The property owner was told that HIS home was too old. Tear down everything and he could get permits and assistance to build seven luxury condos.
where I live, some of the older buildings [ 30s, 40s ] are built better than the newer ones---and look better

What Tipsy forgot to mention was the "guesthouse" was probably a converted garden shed.

Heard tents are in high demand in California..............Bet you it costs more for a tent there.

If Chicks higher pay goes nationwide, much less tents will have to be made into full-time dwellings. But of course the tRump/Putin fans will be against workers making higher wages.

Lots of bs in thread, here is the real reason real estate is expensive in California:

It is a desirable place to live.
Wrong, assshole. The price of real estate in Florida is less than half of what it is in California. The average price of a condo in Tokyo Japan is less than half of what it is in California. California homes are expensive because of leftwing government regulations.
Supply and demand sweet heart. I dont think you been to Tokyo. Its extremely expensive and wages are low. They mostly rent and the size of the houses are extremely small.

California is a highly desirable area because of: good economy (work opportunities), good weather, good hospitals, good schools, ect....

You are just jealous and hating.
I just refered you to a site that shows housing is half the price that you pay in California. I watched an hour long video about the price of housing in Tokyo.

The bottom line is that California sucks, and it's all due to the leftwing government. The schools in California are the worst. They are ranked 49th in quality. The hospitals are no better than anywhere else. The weather has nothing to do with the government. The economy is good only because Silicon valley is located there. That's purely an historical accident that occured before the left took over the state.
You just stated your hate and no facts. When I was planning to move to the US it was known to most that one should move to a blue state or area...because of the opportunities, the universities and most importantly the people are open minded. It's a known fact that red areas generally are poor regressive and less accepting.

My wife was born in here in late 60s and she is practically the only one I know that was born here. Most caucasian Americans I met or I know migrated from mostly red states for better life.
In our area the average property tax is 30k a year now that's a salary. But keep in my mind people have a better life quality. We have a year pass to the best amusement parks that are only few minutes drive, we have ski resorts within a short drive and we have the beach within few feet. And my kids school celebrates the end of ramadan and diwali...and we never come across bigots...now tell me what red state or area that offer all of this ?

Florida, Texas, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina etc. They all have a better quality of life than California. There you can pay an entire mortgage with 30K, not just your property taxes.

If Chicks higher pay goes nationwide, much less tents will have to be made into full-time dwellings. But of course the tRump/Putin fans will be against workers making higher wages.
Dem state......leaving in droves...........being replaced by illegals........they are even having trouble getting people in high paying jobs in silicon valley......

Your side owns it.

Economics 101.
Real estate prices are high in California because the government there sucks ass, and for no other reason.
California's real estate costs so much because the work is here! If we had a shithole economy like texas or tennaassee homes would be cheap. It is not government or regulations that drive prices.
Government is what drives the price of real estate in California, you fucking dumbass. It's been demonstrated in this forum over and over. You're just another blue state imbecile who can't admit your government hurts the poor and the middle class.

Lots of bs in thread, here is the real reason real estate is expensive in California:

Wrong, assshole. The price of real estate in Florida is less than half of what it is in California. The average price of a condo in Tokyo Japan is less than half of what it is in California. California homes are expensive because of leftwing government regulations.
Supply and demand sweet heart. I dont think you been to Tokyo. Its extremely expensive and wages are low. They mostly rent and the size of the houses are extremely small.

California is a highly desirable area because of: good economy (work opportunities), good weather, good hospitals, good schools, ect....

I just refered you to a site that shows housing is half the price that you pay in California. I watched an hour long video about the price of housing in Tokyo.

The bottom line is that California sucks, and it's all due to the leftwing government. The schools in California are the worst. They are ranked 49th in quality. The hospitals are no better than anywhere else. The weather has nothing to do with the government. The economy is good only because Silicon valley is located there. That's purely an historical accident that occured before the left took over the state.
You just stated your hate and no facts. When I was planning to move to the US it was known to most that one should move to a blue state or area...because of the opportunities, the universities and most importantly the people are open minded. It's a known fact that red areas generally are poor regressive and less accepting.

My wife was born in here in late 60s and she is practically the only one I know that was born here. Most caucasian Americans I met or I know migrated from mostly red states for better life.
In our area the average property tax is 30k a year now that's a salary. But keep in my mind people have a better life quality. We have a year pass to the best amusement parks that are only few minutes drive, we have ski resorts within a short drive and we have the beach within few feet. And my kids school celebrates the end of ramadan and diwali...and we never come across bigots...now tell me what red state or area that offer all of this ?

Where exactly do you live with 30k/yr property tax?
Santa monica...some neighbors pay 60k and more.

Florida, Texas, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina etc. They all have a better quality of life than California. There you can pay an entire mortgage with 30K, not just your property taxes.
They are all shitty for us who tasted and lived in california.
South carolina ? Are you serious?
North carolina I can literally buy a 100 acres for a million and then what? I have to fly everywhere for entertainment and to make decent money.
Georgia the same thing.
Texas apart from Austin it sucks, and very humid.

No thank you, people dream to visit California let alone to live in it. It was my childhood dream and I'm glad to be here.

The local impact fees are preventing affordable housing, you have a state that is over regulated, over taxed and will implode in the not to distant future if they don't correct this soon...

They are all shitty for us who tasted and lived in california.
South carolina ? Are you serious?
North carolina I can literally buy a 100 acres for a million and then what? I have to fly everywhere for entertainment and to make decent money.
Georgia the same thing.
Texas apart from Austin it sucks, and very humid.

No thank you, people dream to visit California let alone to live in it. It was my childhood dream and I'm glad to be here.

Your post is all lies, of course.

Forum List

Back