Why I don't believe in God

And again, other life forms are emotional. Spirituality is more than just our emotions or we'd see it happening in other life forms. Maybe this happens and we simply don't see it? If so, I would say that's an even stronger compelling argument that something must exist beyond the physical. Whether something exists or doesn't exist beyond the physical, humans believe it does and always have.

From a purely scientific standpoint, it is an interesting paradox that physics can't explain the origin of the universe. A physical material universe cannot create itself. On the largest cosmic scale, physics can't explain what is happening inside a black hole. The rules of physics break down at the event horizon. Finally, at the smallest level of the physical material universe, inside the atom, physics cannot explain what is happening. Electrons and photons can exist in two places at the same time or nowhere at all. Photons of light can be waves or particles depending on whether they are observed. Not only that, they can also change what they were if we try and trick them by observing covertly.

This raised the question for Niels Bohr and Albert Einstein... What is real? This is where Einstein's famous quote, "I don't believe God rolls the dice." comes from. He believed the moon is still there, even if we're not looking at it. The two men argued for years over this and Bohr eventually won the argument. Nothing is there until it is observed. After their famous Copenhagen conference, Einstein was forced to recant his "spooky action at a distance" claim and admit "reality is an illusion, albeit a persistent one."

A spiritual nature exists and humans connect with it.

Um no, you don't see that in other animals because they just aren't intelligent enough to have any kind of beliefs. Lol. Stop being silly, okay? Some humans need spirituality to be happy. Others do not.

Oh this is great... So NOW... we're "intelligent enough" to invent something not real to explain the unexplained? :dunno:

Have you ever heard of "fiction" before? :D

But people don't go to the gallows, get fed to the lions, have their entire family killed or their civilizations wiped out over fiction. That doesn't seem to be a very smart creature. In fact, Darwin would say that such a species would endanger itself to extinction by retaining such a non-beneficial attribute.

Sure they do. They even commit suicide, murder people and commit genocide, among other things.

Because they BELIEVE in something... it's not FICTION.

Yes, we have done this throughout history as has been demonstrated to you.

Well, no... you've yet to demonstrate how you can make up something and it has explanatory power. In every example you've ever presented, the person must first BELIEVE before anything is explained by it.

All the examples I've given you. All religions are made up. You even said so yourself!

Yes, the RELIGION is made up... the spirituality which cause the religion, is not.

Lol. Says you. There are plenty of people who do not have this "spirituality" that you speak of. :D

No.. .we ALL have it... some of us don't use it.

Um no, you don't see that in other animals because they just aren't intelligent enough to have any kind of beliefs. Lol. Stop being silly, okay? Some humans need spirituality to be happy. Others do not.

Oh this is great... So NOW... we're "intelligent enough" to invent something not real to explain the unexplained? :dunno:

But people don't go to the gallows, get fed to the lions, have their entire family killed or their civilizations wiped out over fiction. That doesn't seem to be a very smart creature. In fact, Darwin would say that such a species would endanger itself to extinction by retaining such a non-beneficial attribute.

Sure they do. They even commit suicide, murder people and commit genocide, among other things.

They believe in it based upon what?

Well, no... you've yet to demonstrate how you can make up something and it has explanatory power. In every example you've ever presented, the person must first BELIEVE before anything is explained by it.

All the examples I've given you. All religions are made up. You even said so yourself!

Yes, the RELIGION is made up... the spirituality which cause the religion, is not.

Lol. Says you. There are plenty of people who do not have this "spirituality" that you speak of. :D

No.. .we ALL have it... some of us don't use it.

I disagree, and am living proof. :D

No, you do not, as I demonstrated with the vampire myth. Then we have numerous cults and other such things.

Again, things people BELIEVED. If they didn't first believe, there is no explanatory power.

That's not true at all. People hear stories of Big Foot and other such things and then they believe them to be real and even sometimes hallucinate that they actually see these creatures.

They still must first BELIEVE.

No, you do not, as I demonstrated with the vampire myth. Then we have numerous cults and other such things.

Again, things people BELIEVED. If they didn't first believe, there is no explanatory power.

That's not true at all. People hear stories of Big Foot and other such things and then they believe them to be real and even sometimes hallucinate that they actually see these creatures.

They still must first BELIEVE.

No, they have to be gullible is all. Lol.

Their spiritual connection.

What is that? Connection to WHAT? :)

Something greater than self, something beyond the physical.

Something greater than self, something beyond the physical.

Well, I'm sorry, but not everyone shares your beliefs. You can insist that they do, but you would be wrong, and here I am!!! :D

Well, I'm sorry, but not everyone shares your beliefs. You can insist that they do, but you would be wrong, and here I am!!! :D

LOL... I have never said that everyone shares my beliefs or that everyone MUST share them. Is that what you think this is an argument about??? :dunno:

LOL... I have never said that everyone shares my beliefs or that everyone MUST share them. Is that what you think this is an argument about??? :dunno:

You did claim that everyone has "spirituality." Right? Right. :) And seriously, all of these people (not you necessarily) who claim to have "beliefs" really do not seem to be very "happy" people, TBH. This I find to be especially true for those who claim to have found "religion" in their lives. A bunch of messed up clowns is what they really come across as. Lol.

Now, I'm logging off now, so you have a good one. TTYL!

You did claim that everyone has "spirituality." Right? Right.

No, I said everyone has the capacity to spiritually connect. Whether you use that capacity or not is a different matter.

As for "happiness" I beg to differ, again, on scientific grounds. Studies have consistently shown that people with a robust spiritual faith are less depressed, commit fewer suicides, have less occurrences of alcohol and drug abuse and generally live longer lives.

The finding implies that complicated burial rituals existed in early human societies.
Lake Mungo remains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
First of all, it also implies that they burned the bodies so the animals wouldn't eat them, or because they didn't like the smell or knew that they could get sick...
Secondly, even if that is a ritual, that in no way proves that spirituality is a natural part of man, only that some early humanoids practised it, maybe they were the first ones to do it. Like stone tools, which aren't inherent to humans either.
Thirdly, it's not a scientific link, it's Wiki, and anyone can write anything or change it how they want, including you.

So, I ask yet again, got anything scientific for real?

EXACTLY what I predicted.

"you either attack the source or you cherry pick some detail within to seemingly contradict what I am arguing. "

Only difference is I shouldn't have used "or" because you did BOTH!

I am done with you on this, you believe whatever you wish, you're entitled to your faith.
You have no real proof, either link to a real scientific site or author, or stfu. You're done? I agree.

Well of course. I never have said that anything spiritually believed could be proven. If that were possible, we wouldn't be having this conversation, would we? The point is, they all believed in something they though was very real and not made up.

PROOF is subjective. Mudder laughs, but that's just a fact. There are people who believe in PROOF that aliens are walking among us... that Elvis is still alive... that Lee Harvey Oswald didn't shoot Kennedy... that we never landed on the moon.... that OJ was innocent... on and on. Proof is merely something you've accepted some kind of evidence to support your belief in.
"I never have said that anything spiritually believed could be proven" - Bossy
Bossy said: "Human spirituality is not simply my belief, it is a well-documented fact of human history. YOU can believe whatever YOU want... spirituality in humans is a fact." and "I have presented indisputable physical evidence to show that humans have always been spiritual".

Bossy, you've managed to confuse yourself... again.:D

You show again that you are apparently ignorant of context. "Spiritually believed" is not "spiritual" in the sentence you quoted. You're dropping "-ly believed" and making a new sentence out of context, then claiming I contradict that.

Follow me slowly. Corky, I'll try not to lose you... Specific beliefs which come through human spirituality cannot be proven or disproved. I've never claimed they could. HOWEVER, human spirituality (the act of humans being spiritually connected) is very much a real thing that cannot be denied and is indisputable throughout human history.
So spirituality is provable but what comes out of it isn't? You're an idiot. Case closed.

Forum List

Back