Why I don't believe in God

You did claim that everyone has "spirituality." Right? Right.

No, I said everyone has the capacity to spiritually connect. Whether you use that capacity or not is a different matter.

As for "happiness" I beg to differ, again, on scientific grounds. Studies have consistently shown that people with a robust spiritual faith are less depressed, commit fewer suicides, have less occurrences of alcohol and drug abuse and generally live longer lives.

Well, from my experiences here and elsewhere, it seems that a lot of religious people have some pretty big issues. Then again, they DO say that ignorance is bliss. ;)

I said everyone has the capacity to spiritually connect. Whether you use that capacity or not is a different matter.

As for "happiness" I beg to differ, again, on scientific grounds. Studies have consistently shown that people with a robust spiritual faith are less depressed, commit fewer suicides, have less occurrences of alcohol and drug abuse and generally live longer lives.
So now spirituality isn't inherent to humans? Shouldn't we "spiritually connect" naturally? Like sight, you don't have to choose to see, it's something we have naturally.

I said everyone has the capacity to spiritually connect. Whether you use that capacity or not is a different matter.

So now spirituality isn't inherent to humans? Shouldn't we "spiritually connect" naturally? Like sight, you don't have to choose to see, it's something we have naturally.

What I would like to know is what is it that we are supposedly spiritually connected TO? With a god, with one another? It all seems rather abstract, IMO.

Yes, it is inherent. Stop trying to distort my words, asswipe.

We do spiritually connect naturally and it is just like sight... close your eyes and refuse to see, dummy! It's real easy to do! Stick your fingers in your ears and refuse to hear! Close your mind and refuse to think! Humans have an AMAZING ability to ignore their capacity.

Well of course. I never have said that anything spiritually believed could be proven. If that were possible, we wouldn't be having this conversation, would we? The point is, they all believed in something they though was very real and not made up.

PROOF is subjective. Mudder laughs, but that's just a fact. There are people who believe in PROOF that aliens are walking among us... that Elvis is still alive... that Lee Harvey Oswald didn't shoot Kennedy... that we never landed on the moon.... that OJ was innocent... on and on. Proof is merely something you've accepted some kind of evidence to support your belief in.
"I never have said that anything spiritually believed could be proven" - Bossy
Bossy said: "Human spirituality is not simply my belief, it is a well-documented fact of human history. YOU can believe whatever YOU want... spirituality in humans is a fact." and "I have presented indisputable physical evidence to show that humans have always been spiritual".

Bossy, you've managed to confuse yourself... again.:D

You show again that you are apparently ignorant of context. "Spiritually believed" is not "spiritual" in the sentence you quoted. You're dropping "-ly believed" and making a new sentence out of context, then claiming I contradict that.

Follow me slowly. Corky, I'll try not to lose you... Specific beliefs which come through human spirituality cannot be proven or disproved. I've never claimed they could. HOWEVER, human spirituality (the act of humans being spiritually connected) is very much a real thing that cannot be denied and is indisputable throughout human history.
So spirituality is provable but what comes out of it isn't? You're an idiot. Case closed.

No. Spirituality is unquestionable and has always been a fundamental attribute of the species. Various beliefs that come as the result of being spiritual is not verifiable with physical science because they are spiritual beliefs. Whether or not they are "correct" according to science is irrelevant to them being spiritual beliefs.

the same story of Genesis, just boss'ys rendition ....

Yes, it's funny how all our spiritual beliefs abide the same characteristics of the Everlasting.

The "everlasting?" What??? :D I thought you weren't religious?

I am picking at Breeze who is constantly talking about "the everlasting". However, there is nothing religious about the idea of something everlasting like spiritual nature. Indeed, it is everlasting because it is beyond space and time of the physical. That's how it can create a physical universe with space and time.

And it's also not "creepy" Chris. I am quite offended that you are now wanting to call me creepy, after all the complimentary things I have said about you. I am not surprised, however. Mutual cooperation among humans which enabled them to form civilizations was the result of their mutual spiritual connection. Your lack of such connection makes you unreliable and untrustworthy because your default position is rooted in self.

What I would like to know is what is it that we are supposedly spiritually connected TO? With a god, with one another? It all seems rather abstract, IMO.

It's not 'supposedly', we ARE connected to our spirit and our spirit is connected to spiritual nature. Our capacity to spiritually connect is shared by all humans whether we choose to spiritually connect or not, or whether our spiritual beliefs match or not.

the same story of Genesis, just boss'ys rendition ....

Yes, it's funny how all our spiritual beliefs abide the same characteristics of the Everlasting.

The "everlasting?" What??? :D I thought you weren't religious?

I am picking at Breeze who is constantly talking about "the everlasting". However, there is nothing religious about the idea of something everlasting like spiritual nature. Indeed, it is everlasting because it is beyond space and time of the physical. That's how it can create a physical universe with space and time.

And it's also not "creepy" Chris. I am quite offended that you are now wanting to call me creepy, after all the complimentary things I have said about you. I am not surprised, however. Mutual cooperation among humans which enabled them to form civilizations was the result of their mutual spiritual connection. Your lack of such connection makes you unreliable and untrustworthy because your default position is rooted in self.

What compliments? Lol. Oh, I see, IOW, I should agree with you and that is your idea of mutual cooperation? :p Let's see . . . is that going to happen? You must know by now that I'm a very opinionated person!

It's not 'supposedly', we ARE connected to our spirit and our spirit is connected to spiritual nature. Our capacity to spiritually connect is shared by all humans whether we choose to spiritually connect or not, or whether our spiritual beliefs match or not.

Most humans are phonies. :D

The finding implies that complicated burial rituals existed in early human societies.
Lake Mungo remains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
First of all, it also implies that they burned the bodies so the animals wouldn't eat them, or because they didn't like the smell or knew that they could get sick...
Secondly, even if that is a ritual, that in no way proves that spirituality is a natural part of man, only that some early humanoids practised it, maybe they were the first ones to do it. Like stone tools, which aren't inherent to humans either.
Thirdly, it's not a scientific link, it's Wiki, and anyone can write anything or change it how they want, including you.

So, I ask yet again, got anything scientific for real?

EXACTLY what I predicted.

"you either attack the source or you cherry pick some detail within to seemingly contradict what I am arguing. "

Only difference is I shouldn't have used "or" because you did BOTH!

I am done with you on this, you believe whatever you wish, you're entitled to your faith.
You have no real proof, either link to a real scientific site or author, or stfu. You're done? I agree.

Okay... So I tell you that I am not going to play your "gimme a link" game... then I give you a link and you play the exact game I predicted you would. Then you have the nerve to ask me for ANOTHER link? No... YOU go find a link to disprove what I've said. Lake Mungo is a very well-documented site of human archaeology. It's the oldest remains of human civilization that I've ever found and it shows clear signs the people of that time had some sort of spiritual belief because they performed ritual ceremony in burial of the dead. If you need to learn more, Google it.

The finding implies that complicated burial rituals existed in early human societies.
Lake Mungo remains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
First of all, it also implies that they burned the bodies so the animals wouldn't eat them, or because they didn't like the smell or knew that they could get sick...
Secondly, even if that is a ritual, that in no way proves that spirituality is a natural part of man, only that some early humanoids practised it, maybe they were the first ones to do it. Like stone tools, which aren't inherent to humans either.
Thirdly, it's not a scientific link, it's Wiki, and anyone can write anything or change it how they want, including you.

So, I ask yet again, got anything scientific for real?

EXACTLY what I predicted.

"you either attack the source or you cherry pick some detail within to seemingly contradict what I am arguing. "

Only difference is I shouldn't have used "or" because you did BOTH!

I am done with you on this, you believe whatever you wish, you're entitled to your faith.
You have no real proof, either link to a real scientific site or author, or stfu. You're done? I agree.

Okay... So I tell you that I am not going to play your "gimme a link" game... then I give you a link and you play the exact game I predicted you would. Then you have the nerve to ask me for ANOTHER link? No... YOU go find a link to disprove what I've said. Lake Mungo is a very well-documented site of human archaeology. It's the oldest remains of human civilization that I've ever found and it shows clear signs the people of that time had some sort of spiritual belief because they performed ritual ceremony in burial of the dead. If you need to learn more, Google it.

Yeah, of course they would want to keep some connection with their dead loved ones. Death of someone close to you is absolutely devastating and a lot of people seek comfort in beliefs. Some people believe they can talk to their dead ones via a "medium."

What compliments? Lol. Oh, I see, IOW, I should agree with you and that is your idea of mutual cooperation? :p Let's see . . . is that going to happen? You must know by now that I'm a very opinionated person!

No Chris... I've already told you I don't care if you agree with me, I am not trying to "convert" you. I have no problem with you saying you don't believe what I've said or don't believe in spirituality. My only problem is the supporting arguments you make for your beliefs. When you claim it is something man invented to explain the unexplained, that's when I have a problem because you've not proven your claim. When you say it is "silly superstition" I take exception because, again, you've not proven it. You're displaying your faith and that's fine but your faith does not become statement of fact.

No Chris... I've already told you I don't care if you agree with me, I am not trying to "convert" you. I have no problem with you saying you don't believe what I've said or don't believe in spirituality. My only problem is the supporting arguments you make for your beliefs. When you claim it is something man invented to explain the unexplained, that's when I have a problem because you've not proven your claim. When you say it is "silly superstition" I take exception because, again, you've not proven it. You're displaying your faith and that's fine but your faith does not become statement of fact.

But I have. All religions started that way, from the ancient Greeks and into the present day. The Mayans, the Incans, the Egyptians all had beliefs based on superstition and the feeling that natural events were due to gods being angry with them.

But I have. All religions started that way, from the ancient Greeks and into the present day. The Mayans, the Incans, the Egyptians all had beliefs based on superstition and the feeling that natural events were due to gods being angry with them.

But Lake Mungo predates organized religion by about 15~20k years or so.

Forum List

Back