Why is California allowed to remain in unprecedented drought?

What CA needs to do is build a bunch of desalination plants and be done with it.
Exactly. So people can water their new fruit trees they don't plan to eat the fruit from but think they are pretty to look at.
Still pisses me off about the idiocy of folks like my sister.

There are some seriously STUPID people still in california that have no clue what drought means. Weekend yard sale in the town next to me was an older couple who is moving because they have no water. None. Well went dry. This house they have lived in for many years....gone. IF they can find a buyer. Maybe a rancher will purchase it and tear it down along with all the memories, and let his cattle roam around since it is a wee bit outside the city limits.

Meanwhile....my sister lives in Bakersfield....Lake Isabella is almost completely dried up. There is no more river rafting because there is no river. So what does she do? She calls and is all excited on the 3 fruit trees she just planted and the lawn she just had installed in the front yard that she waters every other day. And she hoses down her sidewalk so it's "pretty".
I have to hang up when she tells me this shit. It pisses me off.

On topic, there are railroad tracks all over this nation. Why can't canals be crisscrossing as well so when SC and NC and all these cities getting flooded, the water has a place to go besides downtown burying businesses, homes, street signs, etc?
I've asked myself that question too. Why is nothing being done?

You are talking a monumental task- not impossible- but a scale actually never seen on earth- re-routing vast quantities of water 3,000 miles- over the Rockies unless you bypass them to the south- and the volumes required would be vast.

Should it be done? Maybe- but what makes anyone think that Southern States would ever do anything to benefit exclusively Western States(and to be fair- the reverse would also be true)

What CA needs to do is build a bunch of desalination plants and be done with it.
Exactly. So people can water their new fruit trees they don't plan to eat the fruit from but think they are pretty to look at.

We still are not taking the drought seriously enough in California.

Until water running down the gutter or street from over watering the lawn is seen to be as shameful as dumping your garbage on the street, we will continue to waste water.

If railroads can be all over the place, so can canals. Going over the rockies is no worse than a damn spill off to down below to another canal.
Yeah, it would be expensive. And the labor costs, oy. Remind me how many prisoners are being housed in the USA again?;)

The ancient Romans constructed aqeducts using bronze Age tools and know-how. We cut though hundreds of miles of earth to make the Panama Canal. There is no technological reason we can't bring water from rain-saturated northern California to the central and southern parts where they desperately need water.

California's made pipelines and aqeducts for water before. Why not again so areas with too much water can transport it to drought-afflicted areas?

Pipeline transport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can build a pipeline for oil but not water?
i agree; we need better aqueducts and better roads and more well regulated militia.

There are some seriously STUPID people still in california that have no clue what drought means. Weekend yard sale in the town next to me was an older couple who is moving because they have no water. None. Well went dry. This house they have lived in for many years....gone. IF they can find a buyer. Maybe a rancher will purchase it and tear it down along with all the memories, and let his cattle roam around since it is a wee bit outside the city limits.

Meanwhile....my sister lives in Bakersfield....Lake Isabella is almost completely dried up. There is no more river rafting because there is no river. So what does she do? She calls and is all excited on the 3 fruit trees she just planted and the lawn she just had installed in the front yard that she waters every other day. And she hoses down her sidewalk so it's "pretty".

On topic, there are railroad tracks all over this nation. Why can't canals be crisscrossing as well so when SC and NC and all these cities getting flooded, the water has a place to go besides downtown burying businesses, homes, street signs, etc?

California is the state of whiners and sissy's.....a faggy state, if you will. Most people in that state have the backbones of a Hershey Bar.

California is the state of whiners and sissy's.....a faggy state, if you will. Most people in that state have the backbones of a Hershey Bar.

You are hear whining- are you saying you are a California resident and you speak for yourself?

No sympathies to my former state. Constant effort to tear down the Hetch Hetchy dam which is the primary water source for a lot of San Fran area AND a sensible source of power..

Group Seeking to Tear Down Hetch Hetchy Launches Petition Drive for November Ballot - Bay Area Council

GROUP SEEKING TO TEAR DOWN HETCH HETCHY LAUNCHES PETITION DRIVE FOR NOVEMBER BALLOT

The threat of losing the Hetch Hetchy clean water and power system that serves 2.5 million Bay Area residents and businesses took a dangerous step closer to reality with supporters launching a petition drive to qualify a measure for the November ballot in San Francisco. The Bay Area Council has been a strong opponent of past efforts to eliminate Hetch Hetchy and is working with Sen. Dianne Feinstein, San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee, our members and a diverse coalition of business and community leaders to fight back the current effort. But recent polling by EMC Research shows that proponents of tearing down Hetch Hetchy can win in November unless there is a well-funded campaign to inform voters about the true intent of the measure,

Why is California Allowed to Suffer?

Because they are truly inconsolable mental midgets who approve every issue on the ballot.. That's Why.. Don't deserve your sympathy... Might as well send the legislature home to save money..

No sympathies to my former state. Constant effort to tear down the Hetch Hetchy dam which is the primary water source for a lot of San Fran area AND a sensible source of power..

Group Seeking to Tear Down Hetch Hetchy Launches Petition Drive for November Ballot - Bay Area Council

GROUP SEEKING TO TEAR DOWN HETCH HETCHY LAUNCHES PETITION DRIVE FOR NOVEMBER BALLOT

The threat of losing the Hetch Hetchy clean water and power system that serves 2.5 million Bay Area residents and businesses took a dangerous step closer to reality with supporters launching a petition drive to qualify a measure for the November ballot in San Francisco. The Bay Area Council has been a strong opponent of past efforts to eliminate Hetch Hetchy and is working with Sen. Dianne Feinstein, San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee, our members and a diverse coalition of business and community leaders to fight back the current effort. But recent polling by EMC Research shows that proponents of tearing down Hetch Hetchy can win in November unless there is a well-funded campaign to inform voters about the true intent of the measure,

Because they are truly inconsolable mental midgets who approve every issue on the ballot.. That's Why.. Don't deserve your sympathy... Might as well send the legislature home to save money..

And have we torn down Hetch Hetchy? No.

Does Hetch Hetchy have anything to do with our drought? No again.

California is not suffering at all because of anything about Hetch Hetchy.

And there is no Hetch Hetchy ballot measure on this years ballot- you are posting about what some Californians tried to do- 3 years ago- and nothing happened.

What is it about Conservatives that confuse 'drought' with 'reservoir'.

We have a serious drought. Our reservoirs are emptying out. Including Hetch Hetchy. 10 more years of the same drought and Hetch Hetchy won't have to be 'emptied out- it would be empty.

And there is no Hetch Hetchy ballot measure on this years ballot- you are posting about what some Californians tried to do- 3 years ago- and nothing happened.

We have a serious drought. Our reservoirs are emptying out. Including Hetch Hetchy. 10 more years of the same drought and Hetch Hetchy won't have to be 'emptied out- it would be empty.

S'cuse me Internet guy.. You start tearing down the MAIN sources of water to metro Cali and EVERY drought is gonna feel severe. Or don't you know that??

As for the ballot measure 3 years ago -- had it been put to the STATE of Cali and not just local voters -- it most likely would have passed. And you're squealing about 3 years ago -- means you haven't been paying attention. They have not given up..

San Francisco Sued In Bid To Restore Hetch Hetchy Valley

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) – A citizens’ group dedicated to restoring the now-flooded Hetch Hetchy Valley in Yosemite National Park has sued the city of San Francisco in a bid to change the way water is diverted from the Tuolumne River.

S'cuse me Internet guy.. You start tearing down the MAIN sources of water to metro Cali and EVERY drought is gonna feel severe. Or don't you know that??

And when did we start tearing down the main sources of water to metro California?

And when did we start tearing down the main sources of water to metro California?

San Fran is gonna spend more money defending that lawsuit than it would take to intelligiently implement that $Bill Water Bond -- also approved on the 2012 ballot. Go check how "successfully" that money was spent.

You live in the land of the loons...

Hetch Hetchy is a powerful analogy of the stupidity of the people running the State, and the progressive enviro whackos who control them. The mentality that wishes to destroy Hetch Hetchy is the same mentality that has refused to increase the water storage capacity of the State for the last 40 years. I found a list of all the dams that had been built in CA a while back and there was ONE small reservoir that the State had built. Over 1000 private ponds and catch basins were built in the same time frame.

And all of this while welcoming in millions of illegals who will drain not only the water supplies but the welfare system as well.

Californians are going to get to reap the results of their idiotic beliefs.

The cost is prohibitive to ship water coast to coast via rail. About .45 cents per gallon or two cents per ton-mile.

Large scale desalinated water costs $.0031 per gallon.

California is only sitting on the edge of an entire fucking ocean. They should have been constructing desalination plants 30 years ago.

It's called the land of fruits and nuts for a reason.

The ancient Romans constructed aqeducts using bronze Age tools and know-how. We cut though hundreds of miles of earth to make the Panama Canal. There is no technological reason we can't bring water from rain-saturated northern California to the central and southern parts where they desperately need water.

California's made pipelines and aqeducts for water before. Why not again so areas with too much water can transport it to drought-afflicted areas?

Ummmmm, "rain saturated" northern California ain't. And there are THREE aqueducts feeding SoCal. I don't know where you got your info but it seems to originate from the 1880's or thereabouts.

Paid for by whom?

Ummmmm, "rain saturated" northern California ain't. And there are THREE aqueducts feeding SoCal. I don't know where you got your info but it seems to originate from the 1880's or thereabouts.

Paid for by whom?

YOU!

Forum List

Back