Why is California allowed to remain in unprecedented drought?

There are some seriously STUPID people still in california that have no clue what drought means. Weekend yard sale in the town next to me was an older couple who is moving because they have no water. None. Well went dry. This house they have lived in for many years....gone. IF they can find a buyer. Maybe a rancher will purchase it and tear it down along with all the memories, and let his cattle roam around since it is a wee bit outside the city limits.

Meanwhile....my sister lives in Bakersfield....Lake Isabella is almost completely dried up. There is no more river rafting because there is no river. So what does she do? She calls and is all excited on the 3 fruit trees she just planted and the lawn she just had installed in the front yard that she waters every other day. And she hoses down her sidewalk so it's "pretty".
I have to hang up when she tells me this shit. It pisses me off.

On topic, there are railroad tracks all over this nation. Why can't canals be crisscrossing as well so when SC and NC and all these cities getting flooded, the water has a place to go besides downtown burying businesses, homes, street signs, etc?
I've asked myself that question too. Why is nothing being done?

California is the state of whiners and sissy's.....a faggy state, if you will. Most people in that state have the backbones of a Hershey Bar.
And they have an economy that is the 8th biggest in the world. Far outpacing any other state in the nation. And they have some fabulous schools. Beautiful mountains. A diverse and creative population.

Now there are some areas that you could actually run canals at merely unreasonable costs, not impossible ones as you are suggesting in crossing the Appalachians, Rockies, and Sierra Nevadas. Like running canals from the big dams in Montana to feeder formations for the aquifers that are pumped in the mid-west. Or even a canal from Montana to Texas. My cousin in Bozeman noticed that every time they have floods in Montana, they seem to have droughts in Texas. Seemed a reasonable proposition to run a very, very large canal from Montana to Texas. Covered, of course.

Well, Westwall, I really suggest you attend a GOP Convention, and put a suggestion on the floor a 1% increase in everyone's income taxes to cover the costs of desalinization plants in California. Better wear a bullet proof vest, some of the good ol' boys may be packing.

California is only sitting on the edge of an entire fucking ocean. They should have been constructing desalination plants 30 years ago.

Are you sure there aren't desalination plants in California?

There used to be one in Santa Barbara till they tore it apart and sold the bits off. If there is a desal plant it's a small one and probably a privately owned.

Well, Westwall, I really suggest you attend a GOP Convention, and put a suggestion on the floor a 1% increase in everyone's income taxes to cover the costs of desalinization plants in California. Better wear a bullet proof vest, some of the good ol' boys may be packing.

Actually I think Google and the other large multi national corporations should pay for it. The people should all be levied a one time special use tax of 100 bucks as their contribution. The uber rich should have to pay a million bucks one time.

No sympathies to my former state. Constant effort to tear down the Hetch Hetchy dam which is the primary water source for a lot of San Fran area AND a sensible source of power..

Group Seeking to Tear Down Hetch Hetchy Launches Petition Drive for November Ballot - Bay Area Council

GROUP SEEKING TO TEAR DOWN HETCH HETCHY LAUNCHES PETITION DRIVE FOR NOVEMBER BALLOT

The threat of losing the Hetch Hetchy clean water and power system that serves 2.5 million Bay Area residents and businesses took a dangerous step closer to reality with supporters launching a petition drive to qualify a measure for the November ballot in San Francisco. The Bay Area Council has been a strong opponent of past efforts to eliminate Hetch Hetchy and is working with Sen. Dianne Feinstein, San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee, our members and a diverse coalition of business and community leaders to fight back the current effort. But recent polling by EMC Research shows that proponents of tearing down Hetch Hetchy can win in November unless there is a well-funded campaign to inform voters about the true intent of the measure,

Why is California Allowed to Suffer?

Because they are truly inconsolable mental midgets who approve every issue on the ballot.. That's Why.. Don't deserve your sympathy... Might as well send the legislature home to save money..

And have we torn down Hetch Hetchy? No.

Does Hetch Hetchy have anything to do with our drought? No again.

California is not suffering at all because of anything about Hetch Hetchy.

And there is no Hetch Hetchy ballot measure on this years ballot- you are posting about what some Californians tried to do- 3 years ago- and nothing happened.

What is it about Conservatives that confuse 'drought' with 'reservoir'.

We have a serious drought. Our reservoirs are emptying out. Including Hetch Hetchy. 10 more years of the same drought and Hetch Hetchy won't have to be 'emptied out- it would be empty.

S'cuse me Internet guy.. You start tearing down the MAIN sources of water to metro Cali and EVERY drought is gonna feel severe. Or don't you know that??

And when did we start tearing down the main sources of water to metro California?

San Fran is gonna spend more money defending that lawsuit than it would take to intelligiently implement that $Bill Water Bond -- also approved on the 2012 ballot. Go check how "successfully" that money was spent.

You live in the land of the loons...

Really- how much money will San Francisco spend to defend that lawsuit?

The funny thing is- San Francisco is a land of loons- always has been- part of what makes our city so much fun.

But voters rejected tearing down Hetch Hetchy. The lawsuit reflects the opinions of that group and that group only. And any idiot can file a law suit.

Desalination plants aren't a good solution for California drought

Enthusiasm for desalination tends to overlook its high costs, which stem in part from its enormous energy demand and weighty environmental footprint. The modern process, known as reverse osmosis, involves forcing seawater at high pressure through a membrane that screens out the salt, leaving behind a heavily brackish residue.

In Southern California, which has become more dependent on fossil-fueled electric generation since the shutdown of the San Onofre nuclear power plant, Carlsbad arguably will be moderating the effects of climate change on the region while also contributing to the greenhouse gas emissions that help cause it. (MacLaggan says Poseidon will buy carbon credits and restore local wetlands to offset the plant's environmental impact.)

"There are definite advantages to seawater desalination," says Heather Cooley, water program director at the Oakland-based environmental think tank Pacific Institute. "It's a reliable supply, independent of weather conditions like drought. But it's still among the most expensive water supply options."

Let's take a look at the hard realities. As big industrial facilities, desalination plants can't be plunked down just anywhere on the coast without destroying the qualities that attract people to the shoreline. Yet the plants need to be close to customers, with room for pumps, pipelines, inflows and outfalls.

Poseidon rejected three locations before settling on the Carlsbad site, which is next to NRG Energy's Encina Power Station. That allowed the new plant to share the seawater-cooled power station's water lines, which reduced its cost and its impact on marine life. Even so, according to a 2012 state appeals court ruling, the plant had to install extra equipment to reduce its marine impact in periods when Encina isn't running; if the power plant shuts down permanently, the desalination plant may have to submit a new environmental impact report.

The San Diego County Water Authority has committed to purchasing the plant's entire output for 30 years — a deal that was crucial for Poseidon's financing — for about $2,100 to $2,300 per acre-foot, plus inflation. An acre-foot is 325,851 gallons, or about a year's usage for one or two five-member families. The county agency, therefore, will be paying at least $110 million a year, whether it needs the plant's water or not. San Diego water bills are projected to rise by an average of $5 to $7 a month to cover the cost.

The county judged that it might pay about that much in the future for other imported water, which makes the commitment look like a long-term hedge against a continuing water crisis. But desalinated water is far more expensive than other existing sources. San Diego currently pays $923 per acre-foot for treated water from the Metropolitan Water District. The Pacific Institute reported in 2012 that San Diego could obtain recycled water for as little as $1,200 per acre-foot, and that the marginal cost of water obtained through conservation and efficiency measures was as little as $150.

The desalinization plants will be built, but not in the quantities to make up agricultural water during a major drought. Economics.

No sympathies to my former state. Constant effort to tear down the Hetch Hetchy dam which is the primary water source for a lot of San Fran area AND a sensible source of power..

Group Seeking to Tear Down Hetch Hetchy Launches Petition Drive for November Ballot - Bay Area Council

GROUP SEEKING TO TEAR DOWN HETCH HETCHY LAUNCHES PETITION DRIVE FOR NOVEMBER BALLOT

The threat of losing the Hetch Hetchy clean water and power system that serves 2.5 million Bay Area residents and businesses took a dangerous step closer to reality with supporters launching a petition drive to qualify a measure for the November ballot in San Francisco. The Bay Area Council has been a strong opponent of past efforts to eliminate Hetch Hetchy and is working with Sen. Dianne Feinstein, San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee, our members and a diverse coalition of business and community leaders to fight back the current effort. But recent polling by EMC Research shows that proponents of tearing down Hetch Hetchy can win in November unless there is a well-funded campaign to inform voters about the true intent of the measure,

Because they are truly inconsolable mental midgets who approve every issue on the ballot.. That's Why.. Don't deserve your sympathy... Might as well send the legislature home to save money..

And there is no Hetch Hetchy ballot measure on this years ballot- you are posting about what some Californians tried to do- 3 years ago- and nothing happened.

We have a serious drought. Our reservoirs are emptying out. Including Hetch Hetchy. 10 more years of the same drought and Hetch Hetchy won't have to be 'emptied out- it would be empty.

Hetch Hetchy is a powerful analogy of the stupidity of the people running the State, and the progressive enviro whackos who control them. The mentality that wishes to destroy Hetch Hetchy is the same mentality that has refused to increase the water storage capacity of the State for the last 40 years. I found a list of all the dams that had been built in CA a while back and there was ONE small reservoir that the State had built. Over 1000 private ponds and catch basins were built in the same time frame.

And all of this while welcoming in millions of illegals who will drain not only the water supplies but the welfare system as well.

Californians are going to get to reap the results of their idiotic beliefs.

Well let me just point out a couple of things.

All of the good water storage has been built in California- what is left to be built are the less effective- and more environmentally damaging water storage idea.

Do you know that at one time there was a serious plan to build a dam across the Carquinez Straits?

The Swanson Plan, proposed in 1959, called for a dam across Carquinez Strait and the majority of the bay to be filled in by leveling San Bruno Mountain as a source of material. One plan even called for building a barrier across the Golden Gate.

Needless to say, none of the plans ever became reality and all such speculation died with the environmental movements increasing power by 1962.

California since the 1960's has worked to balance both growth needs and the realization that every dam has environmental costs.

Meanwhile- the single largest user of water in the California- the Agriculture industry- has been for decades the single largest employer- and attraction- for illegal immigrants to California. IF we gave no water to Ag- there would be plenty of water for every resident in California- but we need Agriculture also- and Agriculture continues to hire illegals.

Finally- Hetch Hetchy- we stole that water. Honestly we did- corrupt San Francisco politicians stole that water about 100 years ago- yep those loons in SF figured out how to steal water right out of a National Park.

And we are not giving it back. And none of that affects the drought at all.

Now- I am all for your discussion of desalinization plants. Makes sense for coastal communities- won't help California Agriculture or any inland cities.

Actually I think Google and the other large multi national corporations should pay for it. The people should all be levied a one time special use tax of 100 bucks as their contribution. The uber rich should have to pay a million bucks one time.
I don't see that happening, but I surely would not fight it. However, you would need to find someone like FDR found to oversee the WPA to make sure the money went where it was supposed to.

Hetch Hetchy is a powerful analogy of the stupidity of the people running the State, and the progressive enviro whackos who control them. The mentality that wishes to destroy Hetch Hetchy is the same mentality that has refused to increase the water storage capacity of the State for the last 40 years. I found a list of all the dams that had been built in CA a while back and there was ONE small reservoir that the State had built. Over 1000 private ponds and catch basins were built in the same time frame.

And all of this while welcoming in millions of illegals who will drain not only the water supplies but the welfare system as well.

All of the good water storage has been built in California- what is left to be built are the less effective- and more environmentally damaging water storage idea.

Do you know that at one time there was a serious plan to build a dam across the Carquinez Straits?

The Swanson Plan, proposed in 1959, called for a dam across Carquinez Strait and the majority of the bay to be filled in by leveling San Bruno Mountain as a source of material. One plan even called for building a barrier across the Golden Gate.

Needless to say, none of the plans ever became reality and all such speculation died with the environmental movements increasing power by 1962.

California since the 1960's has worked to balance both growth needs and the realization that every dam has environmental costs.

Meanwhile- the single largest user of water in the California- the Agriculture industry- has been for decades the single largest employer- and attraction- for illegal immigrants to California. IF we gave no water to Ag- there would be plenty of water for every resident in California- but we need Agriculture also- and Agriculture continues to hire illegals.

Finally- Hetch Hetchy- we stole that water. Honestly we did- corrupt San Francisco politicians stole that water about 100 years ago- yep those loons in SF figured out how to steal water right out of a National Park.

Now- I am all for your discussion of desalinization plants. Makes sense for coastal communities- won't help California Agriculture or any inland cities.

Are you high? There are plenty of places that could be turned into a good water storage facility. You simply don't know what the hell you're talking about. California hasn't tried to balance anything. They have simply gone batshit crazy and said no to every proposal to increase water storage while allowing in millions more people to stress that now overwhelmed system.

If CA doesn't start investing in desal plants it won't matter. There will be blood in the streets very rapidly as the thirst kicks in. The CA legislature have got their fucking heads in the sand wishing to build a 68+billion dollar slow speed train to nowhere instead of taking care of the very real needs of its people. They are fucked up beyond all comprehension. I feel sorry for the people who are going to suffer for that stupidity though....I really do.

I don't see that happening, but I surely would not fight it. However, you would need to find someone like FDR found to oversee the WPA to make sure the money went where it was supposed to.

No, you simply have to have a legislature that cares more about their citizenry than their fucked up political ideology.

Desalination plants aren't a good solution for California drought

Enthusiasm for desalination tends to overlook its high costs, which stem in part from its enormous energy demand and weighty environmental footprint. The modern process, known as reverse osmosis, involves forcing seawater at high pressure through a membrane that screens out the salt, leaving behind a heavily brackish residue.

In Southern California, which has become more dependent on fossil-fueled electric generation since the shutdown of the San Onofre nuclear power plant, Carlsbad arguably will be moderating the effects of climate change on the region while also contributing to the greenhouse gas emissions that help cause it. (MacLaggan says Poseidon will buy carbon credits and restore local wetlands to offset the plant's environmental impact.)

"There are definite advantages to seawater desalination," says Heather Cooley, water program director at the Oakland-based environmental think tank Pacific Institute. "It's a reliable supply, independent of weather conditions like drought. But it's still among the most expensive water supply options."

Let's take a look at the hard realities. As big industrial facilities, desalination plants can't be plunked down just anywhere on the coast without destroying the qualities that attract people to the shoreline. Yet the plants need to be close to customers, with room for pumps, pipelines, inflows and outfalls.

Poseidon rejected three locations before settling on the Carlsbad site, which is next to NRG Energy's Encina Power Station. That allowed the new plant to share the seawater-cooled power station's water lines, which reduced its cost and its impact on marine life. Even so, according to a 2012 state appeals court ruling, the plant had to install extra equipment to reduce its marine impact in periods when Encina isn't running; if the power plant shuts down permanently, the desalination plant may have to submit a new environmental impact report.

The San Diego County Water Authority has committed to purchasing the plant's entire output for 30 years — a deal that was crucial for Poseidon's financing — for about $2,100 to $2,300 per acre-foot, plus inflation. An acre-foot is 325,851 gallons, or about a year's usage for one or two five-member families. The county agency, therefore, will be paying at least $110 million a year, whether it needs the plant's water or not. San Diego water bills are projected to rise by an average of $5 to $7 a month to cover the cost.

The county judged that it might pay about that much in the future for other imported water, which makes the commitment look like a long-term hedge against a continuing water crisis. But desalinated water is far more expensive than other existing sources. San Diego currently pays $923 per acre-foot for treated water from the Metropolitan Water District. The Pacific Institute reported in 2012 that San Diego could obtain recycled water for as little as $1,200 per acre-foot, and that the marginal cost of water obtained through conservation and efficiency measures was as little as $150.

The desalinization plants will be built, but not in the quantities to make up agricultural water during a major drought. Economics.

Well somebody needs to tell these idiots at the LA Times that if you power these plants with OFF-GRID solar and/or wind --- those costs would virtually disappear... One of the BIG enviro concerns was the BRINE you are left with. Didn't want to make the ocean any saltier.

So I've got a solution for that as well.. Ship the brine up to where the Greenland melt is hosing the salinity of the Ocean conveyor belts. Or better yet ---- just sprinkle it over Greenland so that the runoff can't decrease the salinity of the water. :mm:

The ancient Romans constructed aqeducts using bronze Age tools and know-how. We cut though hundreds of miles of earth to make the Panama Canal. There is no technological reason we can't bring water from rain-saturated northern California to the central and southern parts where they desperately need water.

California's made pipelines and aqeducts for water before. Why not again so areas with too much water can transport it to drought-afflicted areas?

Pipeline transport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can build a pipeline for oil but not water?
Taking water from someplace will change that place. That's why we have colleges and universities. To study stuff to make sure we get the best deal.

Democr
The ancient Romans constructed aqeducts using bronze Age tools and know-how. We cut though hundreds of miles of earth to make the Panama Canal. There is no technological reason we can't bring water from rain-saturated northern California to the central and southern parts where they desperately need water.

California's made pipelines and aqeducts for water before. Why not again so areas with too much water can transport it to drought-afflicted areas?

Democrats control the state is why.
They are so awful they brought it out of debt those rotten Democrats. After Republicans did everything they could to ruin it.

Think it was Jerry Brown who put a cease to Dam building way back

Democr

Do you think that Democrats are the ones preventing rain from falling?

The far left and the Nazi-environmentalists are against pipelines of any kind..

As far left drone it does fail to compute..

Democr

And of course the far right and Nazi Conservatives- are fine with destroying any environment and killing off any species for profit.

And clearly- you believe that Democrats also control the rain.

Because you are an idiot.

Are you high? There are plenty of places that could be turned into a good water storage facility. You simply don't know what the hell you're talking about. California hasn't tried to balance anything. They have simply gone batshit crazy and said no to every proposal to increase water storage while allowing in millions more people to stress that now overwhelmed system.

Well prove me wrong then. I have lived in California most of my life and have watched the water wars for decades- with Southern California attempting to grab whatever water it can, and Northern California trying to protect its water.

Reservoirs are emptying- not because there are not enough reservoirs- but because there is not enough water and snow.

Nor would more reservoirs help those whose wells are failing because they are pumping out more ground water than the system can support.

Democr

And of course the far right and Nazi Conservatives- are fine with destroying any environment and killing off any species for profit.

You forgot to mention conservatives like to torture puppies.
Moron.

Well prove me wrong then. I have lived in California most of my life and have watched the water wars for decades- with Southern California attempting to grab whatever water it can, and Northern California trying to protect its water.

Reservoirs are emptying- not because there are not enough reservoirs- but because there is not enough water and snow.

Nor would more reservoirs help those whose wells are failing because they are pumping out more ground water than the system can support.
Reservoirs are emptying because the same reservoirs that provided for 10 million now has 39 million people pulling from it. There has been no effort by Democrats to grow water infrastructure with the population growth.
Has Dr Carson would admit, it's not brain surgery.

Democr

You forgot to mention conservatives like to torture puppies.
Moron.

phpn42MCJAM.jpg

'Smoking beagles' used in tobacco experiments.
Mary Beith, the journalist who broke the 'smoking beagles' story

1983-400x292.jpg

"PETA gets a U.S. Department of Defense underground “wound lab” shut down and achieves a permanent ban on shooting dogs and cats in military wound laboratories."
http://www.peta.org/about-peta/milestones/

Who was President in 1983 and thus responsible for DoD inhumane experimentation?

Funny how things said can bite ya in the tuckus isn't it.

Forum List

Back