Why is Satan called the Dragon?

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
In the Christian Bible, the adversary of God, Satan (or the Devil) is characterized in the Garden of Eden as the terrible corrupting serpent and rebel cast out from heaven's thrones.

However, in Revelation we get all kinds of suggestions that Satan is also a Dragon (not just a serpent).

Serpents symbolize stealth and slithering ground movement and hence signifies a being of cunning intelligence (like a snake).

Dragons are fire-breathing flying winged creatures, reptilian in appearance (similar to a dinosaur) but with sharp teeth and claws and signifying pure destruction or danger (like a lion or piranha).

So why is Satan referred to first as a serpent and then later as a dragon?

My conjecture (feel free to comment) is that Revelation marks man's closeness to cathartic troubles (or calamity --- i.e., Armageddon). Since Satan must contend with the archangel Michael and assist the AntiChrist (the adversary of Jesus the Christ) at the End of Days, maybe Satan assumes the appearance of a dragon (rather than as a serpent) to showcase his prowess over fear.

After all, dragons make us think of things unsightly, hideous, or unfriendly.

Dragons (Wikipedia)

satan.jpg

The snake in the garden is the word 'gaze' it is that portion that is seeking gazing looking.

In the Christian Bible, the adversary of God, Satan (or the Devil) is characterized in the Garden of Eden as the terrible corrupting serpent and rebel cast out from heaven's thrones.

However, in Revelation we get all kinds of suggestions that Satan is also a Dragon (not just a serpent).

Serpents symbolize stealth and slithering ground movement and hence signifies a being of cunning intelligence (like a snake).

Dragons are fire-breathing flying winged creatures, reptilian in appearance (similar to a dinosaur) but with sharp teeth and claws and signifying pure destruction or danger (like a lion or piranha).

My conjecture (feel free to comment) is that Revelation marks man's closeness to cathartic troubles (or calamity --- i.e., Armageddon). Since Satan must contend with the archangel Michael and assist the AntiChrist (the adversary of Jesus the Christ) at the End of Days, maybe Satan assumes the appearance of a dragon (rather than as a serpent) to showcase his prowess over fear.

Dragons (Wikipedia)

View attachment 88042

All dragons aren't that bad.
images

Dragons (Wikipedia)

View attachment 88042

All dragons aren't that bad.
images
A song about pot!

Slayer Stage

When I think of the depictions of terrible crimes/murders in modern American horror films such as Hatchet, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Friday the 13th, I think about humanity's preoccupation with the 'shape of sin.'

If Satan was a serpent who gazed upon the Garden, then could he be a malevolent dragon at the End of Days, when man is possibly swayed by the devolving influence of the AntiChrist?

film.jpg

Isa 27:1

On that day,

The LORD will punish with his sword

that is cruel, great, and strong,

Leviathan the fleeing serpent,

Leviathan the coiled serpent;

he will slay the dragon* in the sea

[27:1] Leviathan…dragon: the description of Leviathan is almost identical to a passage from a much earlier Ugaritic text. The sea dragon became a symbol of the forces of evil which God vanquishes even as he overcame primeval chaos; cf. notes on 30:7; 51:910; Jb 3:8; 7:12; no power can challenge God. Leviathan is even spoken of playfully in Ps 104:26.

Isa 27:1

On that day,

The LORD will punish with his sword

that is cruel, great, and strong,

Leviathan the fleeing serpent,

Leviathan the coiled serpent;

he will slay the dragon* in the sea

Dagon was the fish-man-god.

People today describe other people as being snakes or whales and have expressions like 'a sea of people', and "belly of the beast" which all have nothing to do with the literal meaning of the words.

Why would ancient people have been any different?

As far as the sword that is cruel, great and strong, it is a curse under the appearance of a cup of wine.

"Take from my hand this cup of fiery wine and make all the nations to whom I send you drink it. When they have drunk it they will vomit and go mad; such is the sword that I am sending among them."

:wine:

Very good Penelope... The sWORD represents punishment by his WORD, The Sea was always representative of the Nations... The King of the Nations was ROME and the Dragon came out of there... All poetic , all symbolic.. The Vatican Crest is a serpent or Dragon... Any can look it up and the name of the Vatican could be divining serpent regardless the Dragon took one third of the stars in heaven... Heaven being on earth... So one third of the people in their many divergent groups followed the dragon... Christianity is one third of mankind and their Beliefs have been a DRAG ON Mankind ever since.....

. The Vatican Crest is a serpent or Dragon... Any can look it up and the name of the Vatican could be divining serpent

Vatican comes from a word that means divination. Vatican hill = divination hill. According to the book of revelation, it says that one third of mankind and all the fish in the sea die when the fallen star poisons the waters. It also says that the dragon sits on seven hills. Rome is built on seven hills.

The Hebrew word for serpent, nachash, is both a noun and an adjective which can mean snake, brazen, shiny one, and or one who practices divination.

You can thank those earlier followers of Jesus for leaving you such obvious clues.

Hmmm. Perhaps they left more than that hidden in a similar way before Rome usurped authority over the story of Jesus and buried his teachings under a mountain of blasphemy? If you found something already, the chances are that there is more. True?

If you do not look for it, you will never find it.

Why not take a break from being a yes man to hashev and give it a try. Think for yourself. Don't be afraid, you can even do it in secret. If you were an educated and dedicated Jew, what other educated and dedicated Jews had written about, buried, hidden, and sealed over, hundreds of years before the dragon ever got its dirty little hands on the gospels should be easy for you to discover.

Last edited:
Can't help yourself you must always give aliterate jab... Were you a boxer and loved throwing the left jab or did you prefer a Right CROSS... Lol... Regardless any who read these posts can look things up for themselves on the internet it is a literal gold mine... Vatican literally means " Divining Serpent" .. Vatis = Diviner and Can = Serpent.. Vatican City and St Peter' s basilica were built on the ancient pagan site called in Latin Vaticanus mon's or Vaticanus collis which means hill of prophecy... Now this is the interesting part The Vatican is 44 Hectacres in size matching exactly the warnings in Isaiah 44 esp verse 9 , 13 and 17 and let us not forget verse 20 which matches the Ash Wednesday ceremony the Vatican is so proud of putting on every year...In simplistic poetic terms in Hebrew Satan means adversary ... So this dragon or the Vatican has been adversarial or Satan in all its dealing esp against the Jewish people which they chased all over the earth devouring their homes their temple their city their children etc etc... Basically standing in the way and confounding them every which way... One of them being creating that book the New Testament and putting their version of things on top of or ahead of the Jewish scriptures.. Clever little dragon deceived so many...

Can't help yourself you must always give aliterate jab... Were you a boxer and loved throwing the left jab or did you prefer a Right CROSS... Lol... Regardless any who read these posts can look things up for themselves on the internet it is a literal gold mine... Vatican literally means " Divining Serpent" .. Vatis = Diviner and Can = Serpent.. Vatican City and St Peter' s basilica were built on the ancient pagan site called in Latin Vaticanus mon's or Vaticanus collis which means hill of prophecy...

VATIC-ANUS

VATIC- "Characteristic of a prophet; oracular" From Latin: vts, seer -ANUS "The opening at the lower end of the alimentary canal through which solid waste is eliminated from the body" From Latin: nus, ring, anus

enough said.

. Now this is the interesting part The Vatican is 44 Hectacres in size matching exactly the warnings in Isaiah 44 esp verse 9 , 13 and 17 and let us not forget verse 20 which matches the Ash Wednesday ceremony the Vatican is so proud of putting on every year...In simplistic poetic terms in Hebrew Satan means adversary ... So this dragon or the Vatican has been adversarial or Satan in all its dealing esp against the Jewish people which they chased all over the earth devouring their homes their temple their city their children etc etc... Basically standing in the way and confounding them every which way... One of them being creating that book the New Testament and putting their version of things on top of or ahead of the Jewish scriptures.. Clever little dragon deceived so many...

Yes, they assembled and probably redacted the documents before widespread publication but they could not pervert or redact that which was written hundreds of years earlier by Jews that went right over their heads. They even highlighted and preserved for special veneration that which seemed, on the surface, to validate their superstitions..

What better place to conceal and preserve something of great value if not the belly of the beast?

Last edited:
Alimentary not elementary... How interesting.... I remember that bond movie diamonds are forever when I first heard that term when the diamonds were placed there...Something of very great value...Yup they spewed out their gospel out of that opening as well all over the earth...

Alimentary not elementary... How interesting.... I remember that bond movie diamonds are forever when I first heard that term when the diamonds were placed there...Something of very great value...Yup they spewed out their gospel out of that opening as well all over the earth...

You already know that this didn't happen until 325 c.e.. Can you imagine what could have been the actual teaching of any first century despised and reviled Jewish peasant without a pot to piss in that could have possibly inspired such a deep seated hatred that the mighty Roman Empire, the beast itself, would go though the monumental task of suppressing all other forms of traditional Pagan worship throughout the land and replacing it with a compulsory newfangled religion openly dedicated to defying the laws of the Hebrew God in general and desecrating the teachings of Jesus in particular.

I know how repugnant most of what Christians say about Jesus is and how ridiculous the claims they make are after they read the gospels and start professing belief without thinking very deeply about it.

Try to understand that was the intent of people like Paul, for Jews (or any thinking person) to be so put off by church teaching and the irrational beliefs easily perpetuated among the already superstitious gentiles that they would also make knee jerk conclusions about Jesus without thinking very deeply about it effectively keeping the way to the tree of life hidden, its fruit out of reach.

"The kingdom of Heaven is like treasure lying buried in a field. The man who found it, buried it again."

If you hunger for teaching from God himself and have dedicated yourself to learn from the one chosen by God to speak in his name......Put on your thinking cap, and start digging.

Like I said, you can even do it in secret.

Last edited:
How do you KNOW what a dragon looks like? You're just repeating the mythological version.

There ARE witches, but as an adult, do you believe they look like the myth version with the pointy hat and riding a broom?

And the UNICORN. Do you believe in the myth version? Unicorns are real. The REAL unicorns are ONE HORNED RHINOS.

Satan is called a dragon because whatever he actually looks like, THAT'S what a "dragon" looks like.

Read the Bible descriptions of many of God's angels. Many look like various animals of this world

Forum List

Back