Why is the Vice President of the United States elected?

marcus903

Rookie
Aug 26, 2013
I just got a curious question.

Why is the Vice President of the United States elected? Why can't the Presidential Nominee just select his vice president and have him approved by the United States Senate? The President still wouldn't be able to fire him, but it will ensure that the presidential nominee didn't waist his time choosing him should the Vice President fail to be elected by the electors.

I just turnd 18 this year and I still have yet to register to vote for the President and Vice President. I just want to know if their is any reason the Vice President has to be elected.

More Specifically:

Clause 1: Executive Power-

The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows[1]
Clause one is a "vesting clause," similar to other clauses in Articles One and Three, but it vests the power to execute the instructions of Congress, which has the exclusive power to make laws; "To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof."
The head of the Executive Branch is the President of the United States. The President and the Vice President are elected every four years.

SOURCE

For the most part? It explains the power structure...as it pertains to the EXECUTIVE BRANCH...(The President, and the Vice President...) Their responsibilities...

Forum List

Back