Why no "Banking Crisis" from 1935 to 1979

actually that is stupid beyond words and perfectly liberal!!

Fed Fanny Freddie CRA FHA FDIC are were 100% busy and huge regulators at the time of the housing collapse.

That anyone would ignore this is worse than pure Nazi propaganda and double think!!

For six years, Bush and the Republicans controlled all three branches of government. That was when "Freddie/Fannie" were at their height. Then there were the "temporary tax cuts", the two unpaid for wars, the drugs for votes bill, deregulation, many trillions in debt and on and on. If Republicans block everything Democrats try to do now, how did Democrats have so much power then? Short answer: They didn't. You need to try again from a different angle.
Which deregulation?

Please be specific.

PenguinS.jpg

"The Joker himself told me Republicans completely deregulated banking"

Watching this table discussion on "Banking Crisis" and they put up some unusual statistics.

From 1935 to 1979, the time spent in "Banking Crisis" was 0.9% because the banks were highly regulated. Seems people still remembered the "Great Depression" and the cause.

Since 1980, the world has spent 19.9% of the time in Banking Crisis. From the Latin America Debt Crisis to the European Crisis to the latest American Crisis and all the ones in between.

All because of the conservative policies of "Bank Deregulation".

In fact, they pointed out that the economies that did well were the ones were banks were highly regulated.

Is this true?

Hmm, according to my knowledge the regulations have only grown.

But I don't know the facts. So which regulations have been cancelled?

I think this whole regulation discussion is always pretty ridiculous, as the regulations first CAUSE these problems with regulations like FDIC. Then you obviously need more regulation to counter the old regulation. So "Regulation" doesn't mean anything at all by itself, you need to give the SPECIFICs of which removed regulations are causing the problems. Or perhaps which ADDED regulations are causing the problems.

Fed Fanny Freddie CRA FHA FDIC are were 100% busy and huge regulators at the time of the housing collapse.

That anyone would ignore this is worse than pure Nazi propaganda and double think!!

For six years, Bush and the Republicans controlled all three branches of government. That was when "Freddie/Fannie" were at their height. Then there were the "temporary tax cuts", the two unpaid for wars, the drugs for votes bill, deregulation, many trillions in debt and on and on. If Republicans block everything Democrats try to do now, how did Democrats have so much power then? Short answer: They didn't. You need to try again from a different angle.
Which deregulation?

Please be specific.

werewaiting.gif

Which deregulation?

Please be specific.

Derp derp derp derp herpa derp derp derp derp
derp

Seeking ONE SINGLE event, regulation (or lack of regulation), or organization to explain the state of our economy is silly.

Every one of the events, regulations, lack of regulation, and organizations that many of you have noted above ALL PLAYED THEIR ROLE in the economy we have today.

You guy understand how complex machines work, right?

Well no machine on earth is as complex as the macro-economy, kiddies.

Looking for simple answers (or single villains) to describe why complex systems work or fail to work is just flat out missing the BIGGER PICTURE.

How about when the Bush SEC held back the broker rules for the banks for 8 long years?

SEC Votes for Final Rules Defining How Banks Can Be Securities Brokers
Eight Years After Passage of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, Key Provisions Will Now Be Implemented
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
2007-190
Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2007 - Ending eight years of stalled negotiations and impasse, the Commission today voted to adopt, jointly with the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (Board), new rules that will finally implement the bank broker provisions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act of 1999. The Board will consider these final rules at its Sept. 24, 2007 meeting. The Commission and the Board consulted with and sought the concurrence of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, and Office of Thrift Supervision.

In addition, the Commission also voted to issue

Now tell me cons if they didnt do that so the banks could have their cake and eat it too then TELL ME WHY the Bush SEC did this?

The country voted for the banks to have BROKER RULES.

that was a duly passed law.

Why did the BusH SEC refuse to impliment the partys of GLB that the banks didnt like?

Eight Years After Passage of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, Key Provisions Will Now Be Implemented
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
2007-190
Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2007 - Ending eight years of stalled negotiations and impasse, the Commission today voted to adopt, jointly with the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (Board), new rules that will finally implement the bank broker provisions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act of 1999. The Board will consider these final rules at its Sept. 24, 2007 meeting. The Commission and the Board consulted with and sought the concurrence of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, and Office of Thrift Supervision.

When did Phil Gramm become a liberal?

Seeking ONE SINGLE event, regulation (or lack of regulation), or organization to explain the state of our economy is silly.

Every one of the events, regulations, lack of regulation, and organizations that many of you have noted above ALL PLAYED THEIR ROLE in the economy we have today.

Looking for simple answers (or single villains) to describe why complex systems work or fail to work is just flat out missing the BIGGER PICTURE.
So you have no specifics, either.

Thanks. :thup:

Virtually none of the $1.5 trillion of cratering subprime mortgages were backed by Fannie or Freddie. That’s right — most subprime mortgages did not meet Fannie or Freddie’s strict lending standards. All those no money down, no interest for a year, low teaser rate loans? All the loans made without checking a borrower’s income or employment history? All made in the private sector, without any support from Fannie and Freddie.

Yeah that's what will happen when you ask questions requiring a doctoral thesis to explain, mate.

But if you have a single easy answer that fully explains the state of the economy today, I've love read it.

And if you tell me that GLASS STEAGAL is the answer, I will ask you at what SPECIFIC DATE (and what specific change) do you think set us on this inevitable path to meltdown?

Please do educate me.

I can take it.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
2007-190

When did Phil Gramm become a liberal?

he never was.

but the UBS people sure did snap him up after he crammed this crap down our throats when we mistakenly thought they would ACTUALLY impliment the RULE on bank Brokers that were the reason the left got on board with the Law.

Gramm is a con who conned this country.

Its why Bush CHEATED so hard in 2000 to win the election.

It was all part of the Rove plan for a permenant majority for the right

Virtually none of the $1.5 trillion of cratering subprime mortgages were backed by Fannie or Freddie. That’s right — most subprime mortgages did not meet Fannie or Freddie’s strict lending standards. All those no money down, no interest for a year, low teaser rate loans? All the loans made without checking a borrower’s income or employment history? All made in the private sector, without any support from Fannie and Freddie.

Totally wrong in the trillions column! As wrong as Krugman!

http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/john.cochrane/research/Papers/krugman_response.htm

Yeah that's what will happen when you ask questions requiring a doctoral thesis to explain, mate.

But if you have a single easy answer that fully explains the state of the economy today, I've love read it.

And if you tell me that GLASS STEAGAL is the answer, I will ask you at what SPECIFIC DATE (and what specific change) do you think set us on this inevitable path to meltdown?

Please do educate me.

I can take it.
Nobody asked for an easy answer, Captain Strawman...What was asked for was a specific answer.

The question was to be specific about this "deregulation" which allegedly occurred, which neither you or rdunce can because the banking industry is and has remained one of the most heavily regulated areas of the economy.

Just throwing around the leftbat buzzword "deregulation" doesn't make it so.

Please do educate me.

I can take it.
Nobody asked for an easy answer, Captain Strawman...What was asked for was a specific answer.

The question was to be specific about this "deregulation" which allegedly occurred, which neither you or rdunce can because the banking industry is and has remained one of the most heavily regulated areas of the economy.

Just throwing around the leftbat buzzword "deregulation" doesn't make it so.

The broker rules in GLBact.

why did you ignore exactly what you asked for?

Forum List

Back