Why Not Restrict Gun Purchases by Those on Terror Watch List if it can be Challenged?

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Folks, we have to do something.

I am a life member of the NRA and past member of the GOA, and I do not want to see Americans lose their gun rights, not one tiny bit.

But if we can justify removing gun purchase rights from felons and crazy people, then certainly it is justifiable to remove gun purchasing rights from those designated as full blown terrorists, or 'enemy combatants'.

The catch is they cant be simply on a watch list, there needs to be a further step, like designating them enemy combatants and then informing them, allowing them to challenge the designation and appeal it.

But these screwballs should not be able to buy guns of any kind; not even a BB gun.

Well, first of all, we don't even know what lists exist. Then we don't know the criteria for even getting on that list, or how to get off a list that exists, but is kept under lock and key for "national security" sake.

It smacks of an arbitrary nature, can easily be abused for political enemies (like Nixon and his famous list or the IRS targeting Tea Party groups).

Then there is the issue of due process. Are we really going to restrict free men from exercising his rights without giving him a day in court? Comfy with that? How about extending that to other rights? Maybe we can just call him an enemy combatant and ship him off to Gitmo. Once we start down that slippery slope we, as a free people, are well and truly fucked.

I am a life member of the NRA and past member of the GOA, and I do not want to see Americans lose their gun rights, not one tiny bit.

But if we can justify removing gun purchase rights from felons and crazy people, then certainly it is justifiable to remove gun purchasing rights from those designated as full blown terrorists, or 'enemy combatants'.

The catch is they cant be simply on a watch list, there needs to be a further step, like designating them enemy combatants and then informing them, allowing them to challenge the designation and appeal it.

But these screwballs should not be able to buy guns of any kind; not even a BB gun.

What are your thoughts on the chance or likelyhood that they might already have weapons by the time they first appear on the watch list?

Also, let's say we can prohibit them from getting guns legally at a gun store. . . how is that going to keep them from getting what they want on the streets?

What about Gasoline and any household chemicals that can be used to make a bomb or incendiary devices?

How much safer are you REALLY going to be if you manage to pass a law prohibiting those on a terrorist watch list from legally purchasing a gun?

One last question; "Do you believe that a person should be considered innocent until they are proven guilty? Or, not so much?"

That question has been being asked for a long time. You'll have to ask the NRA and the republicans they own for that answer. They are the only ones who blocked it so far.

We can't stop drugs or human trafficking from south of the border. If we stop all citizens from owning firearms, all it will do is add one more item to the black market. Prohibition doesn't work.

That question has been being asked for a long time. You'll have to ask the NRA and the republicans they own for that answer. They are the only ones who blocked it so far.

Liberty is messy, uncertain, risky, and can be scary. But you can't deprive a man of his rights based on what he might could maybe possibly could eventually do. Convict him of a felony or adjudicate him as mentally incapable of owning a firearm. Otherwise leave him alone to do what he wants.

We can't stop drugs or human trafficking from south of the border. If we stop all citizens from owning firearms, all it will do is add one more item to the black market. Prohibition doesn't work.

Nobody is going to ban all guns. Only an idiot right winger would say that would happen.

That wasn't the point. Guns are here, make them inaccessible to the law-abiding and they will still cross the border just like drugs and day laborers.

those are not the people they want on that list...they didn't say the terror list...they said the no fly list.....two different things and another bait and switch.....

The no fly list catches Congressmen, and innocent citizens and they are not told why they are on the list or how to get off of it....

Actual terrorists...sure, ban them.

Is it? You don't think the President couldn't make of list of political enemies and put a few of those names on other government "eyes only" lists?

Nobody is going to ban all guns. Only an idiot right winger would say that would happen.

Tell that to the British, the Australians and the Germans....

Like I said. Only an idiot right winger would say that.

Like I said. Only an idiot right winger would say that.

Really...did Germany ban guns? Did Britain ban guns? Did Australia ban guns? What about France?

moron....

What about DC and NYC and Chicago? Yeah, you can technically own a gun in those places, but unless your rich, juiced in, or a celebrity it just isn't going to happen.

Deport Muslim scum that support any terror organization, problem solved. It's not rocket science.

Forum List

Back