Why older people eat earlier...

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
... long running joke about old people eating dinner at 3:30 in the afternoon. etc.
Pretty much every sitcom has had scenes making fun of that scenario.

But then... you start getting older. And you find yourself going out to dinner at 4pm. And on a Thursday instead of Friday or Saturday.
And then you realize why older people do this. Because as you get older you begin liking people less and less. People suck. They are annoying, loud, rude complaining...etc. etc. etc.
At 4pm on a Wednesday or Thursday... you have a nice dinner. Almost everyone else there is older. They all mind their own business. polite and quiet.

... long running joke about old people eating dinner at 3:30 in the afternoon. etc.
Pretty much every sitcom has had scenes making fun of that scenario.

But then... you start getting older. And you find yourself going out to dinner at 4pm. And on a Thursday instead of Friday or Saturday.
And then you realize why older people do this. Because as you get older you begin liking people less and less. People suck. They are annoying, loud, rude complaining...etc. etc. etc.
At 4pm on a Wednesday or Thursday... you have a nice dinner. Almost everyone else there is older. They all mind their own business. polite and quiet.

I eat at 4PM because I go to bed very early -- vestiges of a totally destroyed sleep schedule as the result of being the sole caregiver of someone with dementia.

But yeah, I'm old too. ;)

If I eat early, it is because I am ready and also because I go to bed early due to how early I get up the next day. My alarm goes off as early as 3 AM EST.

God bless you always!!!

Holly (age 40)

Many times they are taking advantage of 'early bird' specials, lower prices during slow times, and managers/owners want to do what they can to bring in income.

We always ate around 1630 because dad got off work at 1600 and insisted that supper be on the table.

I'd not eat-out (supper) on a bet anymore, anything that's not a chain is packed all the time now because of the number of M&P eateries that went under due to the covid.

But yeah, I'm not big on being around "the great unwashed" and particularly their spawn anymore.

A half-hour at the morning eatery a couple times a week does it for me.

In my retirement, I find that if you go out to eat at 4 PM you hit the Happy Hour specials. Appetizers are usually half price and the beer is $2 a pint.

My wife and I will order four or five appetizers and keep the beers coming

In my retirement, I find that if you go out to eat at 4 PM you hit the Happy Hour specials. Appetizers are usually half price and the beer is $2 a pint.

My wife and I will order four or five appetizers and keep the beers coming
At a Thai place we like to go to occasionally, they make an amazing steamed dumpling appetizer. We will order two of those, and then share a dinner. And at 4pm it is always fresh.
You go at 6pm... it's crowded, probably have to sit in a tiny area and wait for your table where everyone is looking at their phone... and the food isn't as good because they are rushed.

My alarm goes off at 5:00am. I am at work by 8:30am. I live about 1 mile from work and eat breakfast while I go through emails.
We go to the bedroom around 7:30 or so to relax/snuggle and watch a few programs. Then read for awhile and usually asleep around 9:30.
My "natural" sleeping clock is more like asleep by 11pm and up by 6:30-7.

Forum List

Back