Why Ted Cruz Will NOT Win A Contested Convention

What's your point? Neither changes the fact that he is a natural born citizen. He was a citizen by virtue of his birth. No one disputes that. At no point was he naturalized nor did he ever need to be.

So this argument will get you no where. Not sure why you are so desperate to eliminate the only conservative still running but this wont work. The courts already ruled against it

The only way Cruz will lose the nomination in a contested convention is if he does not take advantage of the rules concerning delagates!

I suspect Cruz know the rules like the back of his hand and having an actual coalition that supports him in the party gives him an incredible advantage over Trump!!

Either Trump wins on the first round, or Cruz most likely wins on the next round of votes.

But Cruz and Trump are not willing to work with each other in any way shape or form is what I am hearing/reading. IF they can cooperate and coordinate on keeping the Romney Rule 40B intact then the Establishment gets their pick after they are done with their shenanigans.

I hope that Trump and Cruz do coopoerate to keep the rules intact, but these rules committee meetings that are done without notice on an irregular schedule can pull the rug out from under folks.

read up ion the history of the Alaska GOP purging from its ranks the Ron Paul supporters; a real disgrace.

The GOP establishment doesn't like either Cruz or Trump though Trump scares them more. They enacted the Romney rule to prevent Paul from being a distraction at the Convention- I will not at all be surprised if they change the rule again in order to make it possible for Kasich or Ryan to be the ultimate candidate.

I love this primary.

I think your dreaming. The case would have to go through lower federal courts before the Supreme Court would considered hearing the case. I think the problem would be getting the lawsuit into federal court. The plaintiff would have be able to show how he would be personally harmed by a Cruz presidency.

The basic problem is no one has the responsibility of determining presidential eligibility.

The Law Center gave Cruz a 2 week ultimatum: Withdraw the candidacy or face the music. Cruz was a Canadian citizen clear up until 2014; a couple years past when he ran for senator. Which makes him ineligible to be a senator also.

I could give Trump a 2 week ultimatum too- and it would be just as relevant.

BUT- if it reminds people what an idiotic Birther Trump is- well that would be okay.

The only way Cruz will lose the nomination in a contested convention is if he does not take advantage of the rules concerning delagates!

I suspect Cruz know the rules like the back of his hand and having an actual coalition that supports him in the party gives him an incredible advantage over Trump!!

Either Trump wins on the first round, or Cruz most likely wins on the next round of votes.

But Cruz and Trump are not willing to work with each other in any way shape or form is what I am hearing/reading. IF they can cooperate and coordinate on keeping the Romney Rule 40B intact then the Establishment gets their pick after they are done with their shenanigans.

I hope that Trump and Cruz do coopoerate to keep the rules intact, but these rules committee meetings that are done without notice on an irregular schedule can pull the rug out from under folks.

read up ion the history of the Alaska GOP purging from its ranks the Ron Paul supporters; a real disgrace.

The GOP establishment doesn't like either Cruz or Trump though Trump scares them more. They enacted the Romney rule to prevent Paul from being a distraction at the Convention- I will not at all be surprised if they change the rule again in order to make it possible for Kasich or Ryan to be the ultimate candidate.

I love this primary.

I am wondering though if the Cruz people, who are ont the ball and attentive, will cooperate with Trumps organization to stop any change to Rule 40B?

The establishment has some sneaky ways about them. The RNC has the authority to call a meeting of the rules committee and change the convention rules without the convention being in session.

I think your dreaming. The case would have to go through lower federal courts before the Supreme Court would considered hearing the case. I think the problem would be getting the lawsuit into federal court. The plaintiff would have be able to show how he would be personally harmed by a Cruz presidency.

The basic problem is no one has the responsibility of determining presidential eligibility.

The Law Center gave Cruz a 2 week ultimatum: Withdraw the candidacy or face the music. Cruz was a Canadian citizen clear up until 2014; a couple years past when he ran for senator. Which makes him ineligible to be a senator also.

BUT- if it reminds people what an idiotic Birther Trump is- well that would be okay.

Dont you have a shooting gallery to go play in?

I love this primary.

They might try, but with trump and cruz getting enough of the delegates and them working to get loyal ones on the rules committee, I don't think they will succeed. This rule is likely one play both sides will come together fight.

Ironically, the establishment will be defeated by the rule they used to snub Ron Paul when there was no need to enact the rule to begin with

More desperate wind pissing. Cruz is eligible to be President. Get over it. Or don't. Either way, you're irrelevant.
Nonetheless, Cruz will not win a contested convention. Cruz is a stalking horse for some other as of yet undisclosed GOP Establishment figure; maybe Ryan, maybe Romney maybe Gingrich, who knows?

But Cruz has zero chance of winning the nomination on the first ballot and he knows this. He is just blowing smoke up everyones watoozee.
Very true. This is why Cruz has been lobbying delegates for the last five months. He's pinning his hopes on a contested convention and wining delegates as they are released after the first ballot. However, if the delegate count is really close going into the convention, the uncommitted delegates could make the difference of the 1st ballot.

Trump needs 495 delegates to avoid a contested convention. Even if Trump sweeps every primary in April and May, he still will not have the 1237 votes he needs to avoid a contested convention. The California Primary with 172 delegates awarded proportional to the vote on June 7th will be the earliest date that Trump could have enough delegates to avoid a contested convention. If after the California Primary, Trump does not have the delegates he needs, things should get really interesting.
.2016 Primary Schedule

tumblr_nxxkfvETcW1ss4yrmo1_500.jpg

The requirement of a person running for President of the United States is that s/he be a natural born citizen. Rafael Edward "Ted" Cruz is a natural born citizen of Alberta, Canada.

And if you think a Cruz nomination will not be challenged at the 11th hour by the left and their pocket liberal-majority on the USSC, eager to see one of their own take the empty Seat there for life to get a lock on their liberal majority for the next generation, you need to have your head examined.

http://www.newsweek.com/ted-cruz-canadian-citizen-415430 A growing number of constitutional law scholars are arguing that Ted Cruz’s birth in Canada makes him ineligible to become U.S. president...An increasing number of high-profile constitutional law professors, including one of Cruz's own professors from Harvard Law School, have in recent days argued publicly that Cruz's birth disqualifies him.... English common law was "unequivocal" on the subject, McManamon says: "Natural-born subjects had to be born in English territory."

Ultimately the USSC *sudden Decision* probably late this Summer or in September will be that what matters is the INTENT of the original law. The intent of course is to insure that because of the potential for foreign influence, the Office of POTUS must be completely scrubbed of potential for contamination. Other things that will be pondered as to this intent is also the requirement that a person reside continually within the US for a number of years just prior to running, in addition to being natural born.

For you see, the 14th Amendment means that even though it's "nice little ole' Canada" today, "born to a mommy born in the US"...tomorrow it can also legally be a Russian boy born to a Russian mother by a US-born serviceman on shore leave. And you cannot discriminate based on gender or country of origin, don't forget.

So, for the GOP to nominate (or to continue the charade further) with Ted Cruz would be political suicide. It's true that one of the two remaining "not Trump" candidates should leave the race so the other can legitimately finish off Trump. So let it be the one who isn't eligible to run anyway...

I disagree. State Secretaries of State would have that responsibility. Essentially acting as gate keepers to that State's electorate.

More desperate wind pissing. Cruz is eligible to be President. Get over it. Or don't. Either way, you're irrelevant.
Nonetheless, Cruz will not win a contested convention. Cruz is a stalking horse for some other as of yet undisclosed GOP Establishment figure; maybe Ryan, maybe Romney maybe Gingrich, who knows?

But Cruz has zero chance of winning the nomination on the first ballot and he knows this. He is just blowing smoke up everyones watoozee.
Very true. This is why Cruz has been lobbying delegates for the last five months. He's pinning his hopes on a contested convention and wining delegates as they are released after the first ballot. However, if the delegate count is really close going into the convention, the uncommitted delegates could make the difference of the 1st ballot.

Trump needs 495 delegates to avoid a contested convention. Even if Trump sweeps every primary in April and May, he still will not have the 1237 votes he needs to avoid a contested convention. The California Primary with 172 delegates awarded proportional to the vote on June 7th will be the earliest date that Trump could have enough delegates to avoid a contested convention. If after the California Primary, Trump does not have the delegates he needs, things should get really interesting.
.2016 Primary Schedule

It definitely looks like a brokered convention. Trump will need 50% of the remaining delegates. And up to this point he's managed 46%. His campaign is slowly losing steam. It seems unlikely he'll get the 50% he needs.

.2016 Primary Schedule

It definitely looks like a brokered convention. Trump will need 50% of the remaining delegates. And up to this point he's managed 46%. His campaign is slowly losing steam. It seems unlikely he'll get the 50% he needs.
No matter what happens the GOP looses. In the last Republican contested convention, the incumbent Gerald Ford lost to Jimmy Carter. Although a party can unite after a contested convention that doesn't seem likely in this case. The two leading candidates are not just very unpopular with independents and Democrats but their own party leadership has opposed both of them.

.2016 Primary Schedule

No matter what happens the GOP looses. In the last Republican contested convention, the incumbent Gerald Ford lost to Jimmy Carter. Although a party can unite after contested convention that doesn't seem likely in this case. The two leading candidates are not just very unpopular with independents and Democrats but their own party leadership has opposed both of them.

If Trump is nominated, they lose. As Trump is ludicrously unpopular with the general electorate. Even among republicans the man is loathed. With nearly 1 in 4 republicans indicating they'll vote for Hillary before they vote for Trump.

If they don't nominate Trump but instead give the nomination to someone with fewer votes and delegates, millions of Trumps supporters just walk away.

They're fucked either way.

The only path to GOP victory is if the Dems fuck up. Which is possible....but unlikely.

Dont you have a shooting gallery to go play in?

I wouldn't know where to find one.

What shooting galleries do you recommend?

.2016 Primary Schedule

No matter what happens the GOP looses. In the last Republican contested convention, the incumbent Gerald Ford lost to Jimmy Carter. Although a party can unite after contested convention that doesn't seem likely in this case. The two leading candidates are not just very unpopular with independents and Democrats but their own party leadership has opposed both of them.

If Trump is nominated, they lose. As Trump is ludicrously unpopular with the general electorate. Even among republicans the man is loathed. With nearly 1 in 4 republicans indicating they'll vote for Hillary before they vote for Trump.

If they don't nominate Trump but instead give the nomination to someone with fewer votes and delegates, millions of Trumps supporters just walk away.

The only path to GOP victory is if the Dems fuck up. Which is possible....but unlikely.
The patriotic fed-up silent White majority will put Trump in and prevent the future browning of America. It's the only way to make America great again.

.2016 Primary Schedule

The patriotic fed up silent White majority will put Trump in and prevent the future browning of America.

Most Americans don't share your white supremacist leanings. So they aren't going to be voting on your white supremacist platform.

What's your point? Neither changes the fact that he is a natural born citizen. He was a citizen by virtue of his birth. No one disputes that. At no point was he naturalized nor did he ever need to be.

So this argument will get you no where. Not sure why you are so desperate to eliminate the only conservative still running but this wont work. The courts already ruled against it

Depends. If we're using an originalist interpretation of the constitution, then its fairly obvious that Cruz doesn't qualify.

If we're using a more contemporary intepretation, I'd say that the leap from 'citizen at birth' to 'natural born citizen' is a pretty short one. And Cruz would likely be found to be a natural born citizen.

Regardless, its moot. As the court doesn't want to hear any of these lawsuits.

.2016 Primary Schedule

The patriotic fed up silent White majority will put Trump in and prevent the future browning of America.

Most Americans don't share your white supremacist leanings.
You would be surprised they do.

.2016 Primary Schedule

No matter what happens the GOP looses. In the last Republican contested convention, the incumbent Gerald Ford lost to Jimmy Carter. Although a party can unite after a contested convention that doesn't seem likely in this case. The two leading candidates are not just very unpopular with independents and Democrats but their own party leadership has opposed both of them.

If Trump is not nominated- he will take his toys- and his voters- and ask them to vote for the Trump Make America Great and Keep out the Mexican Rapists Party- splitting the GOP vote.

If Trump is the candidate- a large segment of the GOP will just not vote.

.2016 Primary Schedule

Don't count Hillary out- she could still fuck up.

Depends. If we're using an originalist interpretation of the constitution, then its fairly obvious that Cruz doesn't qualify.

If we're using a more contemporary intepretation, I'd say that the leap from 'citizen at birth' to 'natural born citizen' is a pretty short one. And Cruz would likely be found to be a natural born citizen.

I think with the Senate voting that McCain was eligible back in 2008, they are unlikely to decide that Cruz is not eligible now- despite how much they despise .him.

Unless of course some actual evidence comes out that he was not born a citizen.

I think with the Senate voting that McCain was eligible back in 2008, they are unlikely to decide that Cruz is not eligible now- despite how much they despise .him.

Unless of course some actual evidence comes out that he was not born a citizen.

Its different. The Panama Canal Zone was an unorganized US territory. Which Longborough v. Blake makes clear is the United States. Cruz was born in Canada. Which most definitely wasn't the United States.

Regardless, the Senate won't want to fuck with a GOP candidate. And the courts don't want this issue at all. They would only touch it if a State Secretary of State brought it to them. And then likely find in Cruz's favor.

Forum List

Back