Why won't they prosecute gun criminals...straw buyer gets probation, gun used to kill cop....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
This is why we have a gun problem...here you have an actual gun criminal...who buys a gun for someone who can't own the gun......knowingly......and the thug uses the gun to murder a cop...and the woman who bought the gun legally and gave it to her thug boyfriend.....gets probation......

This should be a 10 year offense.....

Straw purchaser who bought gun used by Omaha cop killer gets probation

Jalita Johnson, 26, bought the Glock semi-automatic handgun, along with a 50-round drum magazine and ammunition from a Jonesboro, Georgia, pawnshop in April.

Johnson lied on the corresponding paperwork at the time of the purchase, answering “yes” when asked if she was the actual buyer of the gun and not purchasing the gun for another individual.

Prosecutors, however, ascertain that Johnson’s boyfriend, Marcus Wheeler – a 26-year-old convicted felon and known gang member prohibited from making the purchase himself – gave her the money for the gun and told her exactly what to buy.

The following month, on May 20, Omaha officers were in pursuit of Wheeler, who was wanted in connection with another shooting, when an exchange of gunfire erupted. Wheeler fired a total of nine rounds, one of which struck Orozco right above her bullet-proof vest. Wheeler was subsequently shot and killed by Sgt. Jeff Kopietz during the continued pursuit. Orozco, who at the time was working her last shift before taking a deferred maternity leave days after her premature baby was released from medical care, was rushed to the hospital, but efforts to save her were unsuccessful.

Related: Residents show overwhelming support as Omaha officer is laid to rest

In August, Johnson, who initially said someone who lived with her took the gun but later admitted she bought it for Wheeler, pleaded guilty to providing false information to a federally licensed firearms dealer when she purchased the gun. In addition to a year of probation, U.S. District Judge Eleanor L. Ross ordered Johnson to 40 hours of community service and 180 days of house arrest.

This is how criminals get guns......so even if there had been a universal background check, this felon would still have gotten the gun......and the gun store would not have been able to stop the purchase because she passed the background check.

And if you made her get a license to own the gun.....her felon/gang banger boyfriend would still get the gun...

If you forced her to register the gun....her felon/gang banger boyfriend would still have gotten the gun....

Background checks, licensing gun owners and registering guns do not stop any criminals from getting guns........

Seems you have a problem with Personal Responsibility? Who shot the cop again?

And gun control done my way, neither would have been able to get a gun since neither needed one...

This is why we have a gun problem...here you have an actual gun criminal...who buys a gun for someone who can't own the gun......knowingly......and the thug uses the gun to murder a cop...and the woman who bought the gun legally and gave it to her thug boyfriend.....gets probation......

This should be a 10 year offense.....

Straw purchaser who bought gun used by Omaha cop killer gets probation

Jalita Johnson, 26, bought the Glock semi-automatic handgun, along with a 50-round drum magazine and ammunition from a Jonesboro, Georgia, pawnshop in April.

Johnson lied on the corresponding paperwork at the time of the purchase, answering “yes” when asked if she was the actual buyer of the gun and not purchasing the gun for another individual.

Prosecutors, however, ascertain that Johnson’s boyfriend, Marcus Wheeler – a 26-year-old convicted felon and known gang member prohibited from making the purchase himself – gave her the money for the gun and told her exactly what to buy.

The following month, on May 20, Omaha officers were in pursuit of Wheeler, who was wanted in connection with another shooting, when an exchange of gunfire erupted. Wheeler fired a total of nine rounds, one of which struck Orozco right above her bullet-proof vest. Wheeler was subsequently shot and killed by Sgt. Jeff Kopietz during the continued pursuit. Orozco, who at the time was working her last shift before taking a deferred maternity leave days after her premature baby was released from medical care, was rushed to the hospital, but efforts to save her were unsuccessful.

Related: Residents show overwhelming support as Omaha officer is laid to rest

In August, Johnson, who initially said someone who lived with her took the gun but later admitted she bought it for Wheeler, pleaded guilty to providing false information to a federally licensed firearms dealer when she purchased the gun. In addition to a year of probation, U.S. District Judge Eleanor L. Ross ordered Johnson to 40 hours of community service and 180 days of house arrest.

This is how criminals get guns......so even if there had been a universal background check, this felon would still have gotten the gun......and the gun store would not have been able to stop the purchase because she passed the background check.

And if you made her get a license to own the gun.....her felon/gang banger boyfriend would still get the gun...

If you forced her to register the gun....her felon/gang banger boyfriend would still have gotten the gun....

Background checks, licensing gun owners and registering guns do not stop any criminals from getting guns........

She should be spending many years in jail. That is how you stop straw purchasers.

And gun control done my way, neither would have been able to get a gun since neither needed one...

Your way isn't going to happen. In the mean time this weakens the gun control we have.

Your way isn't going to happen. In the mean time this weakens the gun control we have.
Had she reported it stolen, she would have been in the clear, and I suspect that happens often enough. As long as the guns are around, people will get them and do bad things. I don't want all the guns for no reason eh...

Had she reported it stolen, she would have been in the clear, and I suspect that happens often enough. As long as the guns are around, people will get them and do bad things. I don't want all the guns for no reason eh...

But when caught they should be punished. This is what weakens gun control.

One thing I would be okay with..every time a licensed gun store has a customer fill out the paper work..they should vocally tell the person before they fill out the form the consequences of lying or sellin or giving a gun to a felon...that would be okay by me....

We don't have gun control here, obviously...

Makes you wonder why they don't.

we have lots of gun control...our criminals just ignore it more often.....because the criminals in Europe ignore their gun control laws as well...just not as often.

we have lots of gun control...our criminals just ignore it more often.....because the criminals in Europe ignore their gun control laws as well...just not as often.
No, we have essentially zero gun control here, hence the problem. Lots of laws, no control...

No, we have essentially zero gun control here, hence the problem. Lots of laws, no control...

nope...lot's of control...for normal gun owners..the criminals simply ignore the laws...because they are criminals....they get guns in the countries with the most extreme gun control, even Japan and China.

One thing I would be okay with..every time a licensed gun store has a customer fill out the paper work..they should vocally tell the person before they fill out the form the consequences of lying or sellin or giving a gun to a felon...that would be okay by me....

One would hope maybe some would have cold feet if they made it clear how serious it was. Some of them might go in not even knowing it is illegal.

nope...lot's of control...for normal gun owners..the criminals simply ignore the laws...because they are criminals....they get guns in the countries with the most extreme gun control, even Japan and China.
Japan has control, and two or so gun murders a year, which would be seven in the US. Now that is control...

What about Defense Contractors? They sell weapons that can't POSSIBLY be used for self defense!

Letting the buyer get such an easy sentence sure doesn't help.

specifically in Chicago...they still don't prosecute possession crimes with convicted felons.....the police Commissioner was complaining about the revolving door for criminals caught with guns....who then go on to commit murder..

One would hope maybe some would have cold feet if they made it clear how serious it was. Some of them might go in not even knowing it is illegal.

that is why I think a verbal warning should be given for each gun purchase by gun store owners.

Forum List

Back