Why Workers in Red States Vote Against Their Economic Self-Interest

Ignorance, bigotry, mindless commitment to a failed ideology, revenge for getting their asses stomped.

Or, freedom, independence, self-reliance, commitment to the most successful ideology in the history of the planet... there are many, many reasons why people might vote against their personal, economic self-interest. Not sure why this has you all so confused.

The government issues funds to welfare recipients, the welfare recipients spend that money at Wal-Mart, Wal-Mart makes record profits while keeping hours and wages low so that employees need welfare just to get by.

Republicans call this "Capitalism".

The government issues funds to welfare recipients, the welfare recipients spend that money at Wal-Mart, Wal-Mart makes record profits while keeping hours and wages low so that employees need welfare just to get by.

So do Democrats. As has been pointed out here, wealthy liberals are more likely to support the welfare state. Maybe you've discovered why.

Ignorance, bigotry, mindless commitment to a failed ideology, revenge for getting their asses stomped. And the stupidest thing is, they're following the party that kicked their asses.

America's poor people are poorer after 6 years of obama

true story

people and jobs are leaving Blue states for Red states

true story

libs are losers who lie to themselves

Well sure. Why wouldn't they? We all do our best we can under the circumstances. That doesn't prevent us from recognizing that the 'circumstances' need to be changed does it? This is why I've never seen any point in resenting 'welfare moms' and the like. They're doing the best they can with the hand they're dealt, playing by rules they didn't create.

Your confusion here is similar to the confusion over Ron Paul's policy on earmarks. He was consistently against them, and never failed to vote 'no' on any bill that included them. But he still played the game, wrangling for earmarks to benefit his constituents, so that, if the bill passed despite his voting against it, his people weren't getting screwed. Some people wanted to pretend that was hypocrisy, but it wasn't. Just like it's not hypocrisy for people to vote against welfare, but still tap it when they're eligible. Do you really not get that?

Yeah, you should've just summed it up by saying Republicans are against it in principal but not in practice

So, you really don't get it? Because that's not, at all, what I was saying. I can't really speak for Republicans, but my opposition to welfare programs is with their implementation, not with people using them. We're all taxed for them. It would be pointlessly self-sacrificing to avoid using them when you're eligible - especially after spending a lifetime paying for it.

But it's okay to prevent others who have spent a lifetime paying for them from doing the same?

Too many who belonged to the generations that benefitted the most from an expanded government and its contribution to the supply of social goods, planning the economy, and regulating industry and commerce have allowed the commercial jingles of supply-side economics fool them into believing that it was industry itself that provided those benefits. They were also sold on the idea that the only thing that would improve everything that has gone wrong since much of the social safety net was frayed and then patched over with corporate logos is to continue to take government out of the business of governing. Countless of our parents generations have been led to believe that that the very ladders they climbed to success are rotten, and that, for our own good, they must be pulled up behind them.

That is some self-serving bullshit right there.

you call it what? lemme guess; unfair

what a loser you are. if Walmart let them go they wouldnt just be getting some welfare dork; they would be dependent on it

I knew that a long time ago. It's been this way for longer than any of us have been alive.

Corporate media consolidation limits the information that citizens need to be truly informed, and has convinced a good portion of the American electorate that "the media" (which are owned and operated for multi-billion dollar profits by the 1%) are "Progressive".

Yeah, you should've just summed it up by saying Republicans are against it in principal but not in practice

So, you really don't get it? Because that's not, at all, what I was saying. I can't really speak for Republicans, but my opposition to welfare programs is with their implementation, not with people using them. We're all taxed for them. It would be pointlessly self-sacrificing to avoid using them when you're eligible - especially after spending a lifetime paying for it.

But it's okay to prevent others who have spent a lifetime paying for them from doing the same?

Too many who belonged to the generations that benefitted the most from an expanded government and its contribution to the supply of social goods, planning the economy, and regulating industry and commerce have allowed the commercial jingles of supply-side economics fool them into believing that it was industry itself that provided those benefits. They were also sold on the idea that the only thing that would improve everything that has gone wrong since much of the social safety net was frayed and then patched over with corporate logos is to continue to take government out of the business of governing. Countless of our parents generations have been led to believe that that the very ladders they climbed to success are rotten, and that, for our own good, they must be pulled up behind them.

That is some self-serving bullshit right there.

what would left-wing idiots do if they couldnt make fools of themselves with idiotic, demonizing talkingpoints?

I knew that a long time ago. It's been this way for longer than any of us have been alive.

Corporate media consolidation limits the information that citizens need to be truly informed, and has convinced a good portion of the American electorate that "the media" (which are owned and operated for multi-billion dollar profits by the 1%) are "Progressive".

they didnt convice us idiot; they convinced you. it is you losers who swear by the talking heads on MSNBC
it is people on the right teling you you're a useful idiot for left-wing billionaires

what a loser you are. if Walmart let them go they wouldnt just be getting some welfare dork; they would be dependent on it
Oh, really? So the employees should be grateful that the corporation that wouldn't profit a fucking thing without those employees pays them less than dick in order to maximize corporate profits?

Wal-Mart can afford to take care of its own employees so that the government doesn't have to. What about responsibility? The 1% have no loyalty to you at all, and all you can do is defend their greed.

they didnt convice us idiot; they convinced you. it is you losers who swear by the talking heads on MSNBC
it is people on the right teling you you're a useful idiot for left-wing billionaires
So Republican GOPbaggers don't believe the "liberal media bias" schtick? Is that just something that the corporate liberal media came up with to make Conservatives look like a bunch of crazy far-right talking monkeys?

I don't watch MSNBC for the same reason that I don't watch FOX or CNN. It's not news. It's fodder.
Ben Bagdikian - Author | Journalist | Media Critic

Ok, I see what you're saying. And that's a perfectly valid point. That's why most proposals to undo the welfare state suggest a gradual transition. Certainly people who have paid into things like Social Security deserve their due. Arguably, the mere existence of safety net programs has discouraged generations of people from planning for the future, because of the promise that such help would be there if they needed it. Cutting them off abruptly hardly seems fair.

But none of that makes it impossible to change course, to roll back state dependency and restore awareness that we are expected to take care of ourselves as a matter of course.

A lot of politics revolves around pointless arguments concerning the poor that distract away from the real problems that are happening in our markets. Poor people are used by both sides as an example of the failed ideologies of the other side and all sorts of other nonsense.

Meanwhile the real issues facing this country concern things like the taxation of everyone else, programs like SS and Medicare which impact everyone, defense spending, economic and trade policy, etc. Two of the most broken markets in the US today is in high end management and finance. The third is health care for the middle and working class.

Broken markets lead to broken results. It is much better to blind people to reality with broken ideology and blame the other guys than to fix a problem that certain people don't want you to consider a problem.

Ignorance, bigotry, mindless commitment to a failed ideology, revenge for getting their asses stomped.

Or, freedom, independence, self-reliance, commitment to the most successful ideology in the history of the planet... there are many, many reasons why people might vote against their personal, economic self-interest. Not sure why this has you all so confused.

BWAH HA HA HA HA!
I want EVERYONE to succeed in life. That is the Republican and conservative motto.
The cons don't even want their own president of the United States to succeed, and have done everything they could to make him fail. That's how low you are.

So do Democrats. As has been pointed out here, wealthy liberals are more likely to support the welfare state. Maybe you've discovered why.

but heres the difference you keep missing. Republicans keep saying they dont support or want welfare. "So do you" is not a defense...its an excuse.

Let me put it this way. Dogs bark, cats meow....A dog says that cat over there aint a real cat, he barks. And the cat responds "So do you!"

Oh, really? So the employees should be grateful that the corporation that wouldn't profit a fucking thing without those employees pays them less than dick in order to maximize corporate profits?

Wal-Mart can afford to take care of its own employees so that the government doesn't have to. What about responsibility? The 1% have no loyalty to you at all, and all you can do is defend their greed.

yes they should be thankful and probably are you idiot; unless they made you their spokesperson; which i doubt

ur a sanctimonius idiot; up on a high horse; pretending you're relevant

but heres the difference you keep missing. Republicans keep saying they dont support or want welfare. "So do you" is not a defense...its an excuse.

Let me put it this way. Dogs bark, cats meow....A dog says that cat over there aint a real cat, he barks. And the cat responds "So do you!"

I'm not sure what you're getting at. My point is that there are subtle, not necessarily benevolent, reasons why the upper classes support the welfare state, regardless of their political affiliation.

Mostly, I'm trying to respond to the OP, which, for all intents and purposes, is just an insult. It's pointing to poor, rural voters and mocking them - insinuating they're too stupid to realize they're voting against their best interests. Maybe they're not as stupid as we think.

So Republican GOPbaggers don't believe the "liberal media bias" schtick? Is that just something that the corporate liberal media came up with to make Conservatives look like a bunch of crazy far-right talking monkeys?

I don't watch MSNBC for the same reason that I don't watch FOX or CNN. It's not news. It's fodder.
Ben Bagdikian - Author | Journalist | Media Critic

again you're too stupid for words. they ARE BIASED TO THE LEFT; but they make a profit off it so they dont care..

you're a tool

Why don't record corporate profits trickle down?

Why don't job creators create any jobs with their record corporate profits?

Record corporate profits. In a recession. While everyone struggles to get by.

Corporations can raise employee wages and pay for it with record profits.

BWAH HA HA HA HA!
I want EVERYONE to succeed in life. That is the Republican and conservative motto.
The cons don't even want their own president of the United States to succeed, and have done everything they could to make him fail. That's how low you are.

YAWN
nothing "cons" did made your Messiah Obama fail leftard

he's a self-made failure

Forum List

Back