Why?

Jun 21, 2013
North Carolina
Why are so many people here more worried about Washington,DC making Wal Mart pay a livable wage to its workers more than they are worried about the workers not getting a decent enough wage that they have to go on the government pay roll as well? Seems a bit backwards to me....If companies would pay their workers a decent wage then government wouldn't need to interfere...it can afford to pay its richest workers millions! Yet can or won't pay their workers in the stores a decent wage.. when your top 6 CEO's are worth 93 billion $ your store can afford it,you are being extremely greedy and selfish.

• Banned
The Waltons aren’t just the face of the 1%; they’re the face of the 0.000001%. In 2007, when the six Waltons on the Forbes list were worth $69.7 billion, their wealth was equal to the total wealth of the bottom 30% of American families.[3] When new data on American wealth is available later in 2012, it will likely show an even wider gap between the Waltons and the rest of American families. The Waltons are worth $93 billion now, while most Americans still haven’t recovered from the recession. - See more at: Why the Waltons?

WTF!? Wow.....

• Banned
Why the Waltons?

Why does all of this matter? Walmart, the country’s largest private employer pays its associates an average of $8.81 an hour.[4] That means even full-time workers at Walmart make an average of just $15,500 a year. The Waltons make billions a year off of Walmart, while many Walmart associates struggle for respect on the job and enough pay just to make ends meet. As the largest corporation in the United States, Walmart sets the standard for other companies. Walmart’s practices put pressure on many other businesses to lower wages and benefits in order to compete. - See more at: Why the Waltons?

Just to point this out when my wife first worked at Wal Mart she started off at 7.65$ went to 8.05. She then left because I found work...she went back 2 years later and was making 8.90$ that's it. So maybe an average of 17k a year....I would love to see someone here life off that.

What education/training/unique skill do you need to work at walmart? Maybe walmart pays less so they can charge less? businesses do not pay wages based on what the worker needs...they pay based on what the business can afford.

Why are so many here control freaks who think the government should micro manage all of our private relationships...including the ones between employers and employees?

I don't think you'll get anywhere with an idea of forcing employers to pay more to workers. To be sure, the current gop even believes min wage laws to be evil infringments to markets. The econ arguments pro and con have not changed, but the ideology has. There's probably still a national maj that just believes some min level of wages is "just the right thing to do." Personally, I don't buy the economics argument that no min wage would actually work to make employers pay more than the minimum. But, I acknowledge it's existance. But, imo, for most of us, it's just not an econ issue. But, beyond that, I just don't see the political will to increase pay.

Wal-Mart and healthcare is a different issue, and it's why the notion of Obamacare actually working terrifies the gop. Actually, soem form of universal coverage will work. No doubt Obamacare will have growing pains, but at the heart it's simply raising enough revenue to pay for it, while actually reforming the market to hold down costs by getting enough consumer marketshare to stop cardiologists from extorting 750K per year.

But politically, it's a sellable idea to say an employer who doesn't pay enough in benefits for his workers to get medical care without accessing medicaid HURTS ME. My private insurance costs more if other people don't pay, and the doctor can charge me more to make up for his loss on them. At that point, you get to a supermajority supporting taxing cheap bosses.

And that's krugman's concience of a liberal theme. In effect, giving an employee a new benefit is in many ways a pay hike. But, the political basis isn't about telling the employer to pay more so much as it is in telling the employer not to maximize his profit by effing my healthcare.

• Banned
Why are so many here control freaks who think the government should micro manage all of our private relationships...including the ones between employers and employees?

Why are companies allowed to treat their workers like slaves? And none of this bullshit about finding a different job..that's bullshit...they need to provide a livable wage when 6 of these sons of bitches make more than 30% of low income americans do.

why do statists, such as yourself, think we should interfere with a private company and their employees determining what work they will do and what pay they will recieve?

If you dont want the pay Walmart provides, then dont work at Walmart. But let both Walmart and the people who work there have the freedom to make their own choices.

I can't believe that someone who claims to support the Free market could possibly not understand why we would support the free market.

Why the Waltons?

Why does all of this matter? Walmart, the country’s largest private employer pays its associates an average of $8.81 an hour.[4] That means even full-time workers at Walmart make an average of just $15,500 a year. The Waltons make billions a year off of Walmart, while many Walmart associates struggle for respect on the job and enough pay just to make ends meet. As the largest corporation in the United States, Walmart sets the standard for other companies. Walmart’s practices put pressure on many other businesses to lower wages and benefits in order to compete. - See more at: Why the Waltons?

Just to point this out when my wife first worked at Wal Mart she started off at 7.65$ went to 8.05. She then left because I found work...she went back 2 years later and was making 8.90$ that's it. So maybe an average of 17k a year....I would love to see someone here life off that.

Why didnt she just get a job some where else? oh yea if it wasnt for Walmart she wouldnt have had a JOB.

Why are companies allowed to treat their workers like slaves? And none of this bullshit about finding a different job..that's bullshit...they need to provide a livable wage when 6 of these sons of bitches make more than 30% of low income americans do.

They are not treated as slaves...but in an economic environment as created by Obabble there are many more workers than jobs...so the workers have little bargaining power....the old supply and demand equation. If jobs are created...wages will increase....so yell at Obabble...not walmart.

I recommend you do more thinking and less posting. The only reason Walmart is being singled out is because it is non-union. Do you think employees should be forced to pay dues to a union they don't want? And while you're at it, shut up about slavery; Walmart didn't force its employees to apply for these jobs.

Companies treat their workers like slaves by paying them market wages?

That's a new definition of slavery, bub...and quite demeaning to people who are actually enslaved as property.

Market wages my fucking ass..when they are worth 93$ billion they can pay more than 8$ an hours its crony capitalism at its fucking best...No they shouldn't be forced to pay union wages but the workers absolutely should be allowed to unionize and force wal mart to stop using them like slaves. There are no other jobs so stop with the find a different job bullshit...My wife is looking for different work and I am searching for work as well...ain't shit out there even though she is a chef with experience...Must be nice to be in nice cushy jobs so you can hold it over the heads of the poor and down trodden.

I wish you the best of luck. And, yes, Wal-Mart and the Wal-Mart heirs are shitty people. i'd prefer costco personally, and am happy a whole foods will soon open nearby.

LOL. I meant for shopping. I need to run to Sams' club for frozen salmon. I hate shopping there, and avoid Wal-Mart like a plague. Still, there's no alternative ... yet. Whole foods provides decent worker benefits. Costco pays union wages to non union workers.

Sounds like you're near where my kid worked as a summer camp counselor earlier this summer. Not a lot happening.

LOL. I meant for shopping. I need to run to Sams' club for frozen salmon. I hate shopping there, and avoid Wal-Mart like a plague. Still, there's no alternative ... yet. Whole foods provides decent worker benefits. Costco pays union wages to non union workers.

Sounds like you're near where my kid worked as a summer camp counselor earlier this summer. Not a lot happening.

Then create an alternative.

Forum List

Back