Wild Side Ornithology Club

Let's hope not.

The eagle was fishing...or rather, looking for fishing osprey so he could chase them down and steal their catch.

Oh I forgot to mention that last week there was an osprey fishing the river just west of our bridge....

baby finches hatched last sunday. a week in pictures

Be still my heart! That's is a totally cool week in pictures of baby finches, Spoonman. I especially love picture #5 of the 3 little red mouths wide open and expecting to be filled. Mama Finch has to, just to shut them up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Osprey are a lot of fun to watch....

I've seen them in groups over the lake...they're really VOCAL. And they are AWESOME fishermen!

_MG_0488%20copy-S.jpg

I've been watching a hole grow in a large dead pine up at the east end of my property. I finally got a good look while I had binoculars with me.
He's a Northern Flicker, known down South as a yellowhammer. The yellowhammer is the state bird of Alabama.

Flicker-in-flight1.jpg

He's pretty good sized. The books say 11 to 14" long or crow size. I've seen the Pileated Woodpecker again this spring HE is HUGE. About half again as big as the yellowhammer.

800px-PileatedWoodpeckerFeedingonTree.jpg
<you must spread some reputation around before giving some to Ernie S. Again> Oh, spare me, forum nanny! :evil:

Edit: What I meant to say was, Ernie, that's such a gorgeous picture of the flicker with his wings spread so wide, it makes me want to finish my postage stamp quilt in a day...

Last edited:
I love owls...I rescued a long eared owl once, and the bird rehabilitator was able to fix the broken wing it had suffered and re-release it!

I love owls...I rescued a long eared owl once, and the bird rehabilitator was able to fix the broken wing it had suffered and re-release it!

yea, owls are really cool. a few years back we had one nesting in a dead tree in the woods next to our house.

I have noticed that mockingbirds stick around all year here in the mid-atlantic. They are so independent that they never show up for the freebees on my feeder. Mocking birds are one of the few birds that occasionally sing at night. They are my favorites. My 2nd pick is the turkey vulture, mean and unsociable and ugly as they are they do the job that God set out for them.

I have noticed that mockingbirds stick around all year here in the mid-atlantic. They are so independent that they never show up for the freebees on my feeder. Mocking birds are one of the few birds that occasionally sing at night. They are my favorites. My 2nd pick is the turkey vulture, mean and unsociable and ugly as they are they do the job that God set out for them.

driving down this dirt road to launch my kayak in the reservoir i saw a cat crossing the road. well for a brief minute i saw one anyway.

3-120513012152-152171014.jpeg

3-120513012353-15218739.jpeg

Poor kitty!
So what is the vulture eating (I'm almost afraid to ask)?

a chicken carcass I tossed out the window, lol

I didn't actually see the eagle get the cat. when I got there it already had it. I didn't even realize what it was until after it flew away and I saw the remains.

Most of my experiences watching and enjoying birds have been very good ones, and they're worth every minute I spent enjoying observing their playful antics on edging out the competition at the bird feeder.

Forum List

Back