Wild Side Ornithology Club

Found an old account, testing:

1024.jpg

Klaus when he was a baby...

is he a bird dog? lol
Nah, he couldn't be a ... nah... although... Koshergrl, is he at least half St. Bernard?

Very nice, Spoonman! The top bird is colored and looks like a tufted titmouse, except I don't see a tuft on top. Is it some other bird?

The pumpkin just gives whatever he is a beautiful look, too. What a special zinger of a pic.

The eagles are WONDERFUL, too. Thanks!

Very nice, Spoonman! The top bird is colored and looks like a tufted titmouse, except I don't see a tuft on top. Is it some other bird?

The pumpkin just gives whatever he is a beautiful look, too. What a special zinger of a pic.

maybe he's a greaser lol I think the head is just cocked a little looking at who is trying to take his picture

maybe he's a greaser lol I think the head is just cocked a little looking at who is trying to take his picture
I spent an hour on Bing trying to figure out a bird that looked in every way like a tufted titmouse but was a different breed. There was no such creature. So I looked harder and thought, maybe the bird had his shoulders hunched or something or had muscles holding his tuft down. Maybe he got into some tree sap or something. It's spring, and trees are supposed to be oozing, aren't they.

I spent an hour on Bing trying to figure out a bird that looked in every way like a tufted titmouse but was a different breed. There was no such creature. So I looked harder and thought, maybe the bird had his shoulders hunched or something or had muscles holding his tuft down. Maybe he got into some tree sap or something. It's spring, and trees are supposed to be oozing, aren't they.

I don't know of any other bird around here that looks like a tufted. I think it must have just had its head turned slightly down and to the left

Today's bird news follows: Feathered Dino may be the world's first bird.

The skeleton of a Jurassic dinosaur from China could also be the oldest known bird, scientists report. The fossil of Aurornis xui was found last year in a museum at the Fossil and Geology Park in Yizhou, China, long after a farmer first dug it up in the Liaoning Province. The feathery specimen represents the most ancient of the avialans, the group that includes birds and their relatives since their split from nonavian dinosaurs.

first-bird-reconstruction.jpg

first-bird-fossil.jpg

Credits: New Feathered Dino May be World's First Bird | Bird-like Dinosaurs | LiveScience

Foxfyre showed a shorter version YouTube at the USMB Coffee Shop today, but on a visit to youtube website, I found the long version of Birds of Paradise found in the last remote rainforest known on some of the islands that have not been exploited too much by human habitation. The 35 species of Birds of Paradise were wonderfully documented by their painstaking approaches to getting better shots than anyone else had ever gotten:

[ame=http://youtu.be/XS1DLbssFX0]Winged Seduction Birds Of Paradise - YouTube[/ame]​

Yesterday we took the kids to a little local lake to fish for an hour or so...

the osprey were going crazy! They were scree-ing and diving...they stocked just a week ago.

We didn't get anything, the kids are loud and get in the water, and there were dogs at the other end of the lake; but we did see a snake swimming! That was sort of cool (we don't have any poisonous ones, but this was large by the local standards...a couple of feet long!)

Be still my heart. Those are amazing pictures, Spoonman! Totally amazing. What a bad time to be out of reps. ...Time to hit the sewing machine, I guess. I've been procrastinating a few projects with the good weather and grass growing like it would get an extra paycheck for getting 9 inches taller in 4 days taking all my mornings. :eusa_doh:

Last edited:
Yesterday we took the kids to a little local lake to fish for an hour or so...

the osprey were going crazy! They were scree-ing and diving...they stocked just a week ago.

We didn't get anything, the kids are loud and get in the water, and there were dogs at the other end of the lake; but we did see a snake swimming! That was sort of cool (we don't have any poisonous ones, but this was large by the local standards...a couple of feet long!)
Oh, I love ospreys. None here, unless I'm missing something. As weird as this sounds, our turkey vultures are nothing but beautiful up high where they soar and swirl.

And one venturesome Great White Egret came around the lake today. I was so worried I'd never see another one when we had a lot of people wanting to fish in the lake.

I like turkey vultures too. They migrate by the millions and travel immense distances! When I lived in Central Oregon, a group of them spent part of every year in the talllllll doug firs that grew just outside of my fenced yard. They watched my small dog with particular interest.

I want to thank Spoonman for informing me about this thread and FreedomBecki for creating it.

Birds are amazing, and I truly believe man to this day doesn't understand the high intelligence of birds. I have observed birds and know there is something unique about them. Here is just one of infinite examples, one of my favorite birds, the Killdeer, watch the video and see if you know why the Killdeer will suddenly sprint...answer after the video.

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=W2iLsMU7nic]Killdeer - YouTube[/ame]

The Killdeer loves insects, and if one can not find insects to eat, they run through grass, weeds and such to flush out insects. In the video, you will see the Killdeer run, and drop their beaks and go after insects they have flushed out. Killdeer have a very high intelligence.

Last edited:
They also pretend to have broken wings to lead predators away from their nests..which are on the ground.

Love them.

I've seen the Great White Egret a couple of times this week. I was so worried they wouldn't come back. It could be the cool spring put the damper on their plans. It's raining now, but they have been around a lot in just 3 days. Unfortunately, I had a really dreadful eye condition that is just now getting better.

Welcome, Locke. And thanks for the cute Killdeer video. They're the same in Wyoming as they are here in Texas, and that run on the ground looks like they could be balancing a book on their heads and it not tilting when they run.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back