Wild Side Ornithology Club

We are also host to a lot of migratory water birds and such...very cool. I heard a whole flock of white birds making a bizarro sound I've never heard before as they flew towards the estuary over my house...I couldn't see them well enough to tell what they were, they were sort of far away by the time I spotted them (I heard them first). They were some sort of goose, but not any that live here year round.

Canada honkers fly over my house every morning...and we have sandy plover nesting grounds here as well.

Black tail deer, elk, and black bear...also we've managed to pick up some wolves.
Snow geese, probably, Koshergrl.

Do they sound sort of squeaky? That's what I thought initially, too.

And I think we do have them here at certain times of the year.

going kayaking on the reservoir this weekend. heading back to the marshes, mostly looking for ducks and geese but back in the areas unaccessible by trails are the heaviest eagle populations. I should get some good pics. I'm bringing my 35mm slr as well with some zoom lenses there is a roll of film on there has has pics from at least two years I want to finish and develop. i forget what is even on there. I know some lake shots and I believe a few eagle shots already.

going kayaking on the reservoir this weekend. heading back to the marshes, mostly looking for ducks and geese but back in the areas unaccessible by trails are the heaviest eagle populations. I should get some good pics. I'm bringing my 35mm slr as well with some zoom lenses there is a roll of film on there has has pics from at least two years I want to finish and develop. i forget what is even on there. I know some lake shots and I believe a few eagle shots already.
Have a good time, Spoonman. This is national migrating bird day, according to Bing! web browser service. They also have a writeup on migratory pelicans, the State Bird of Louisiana. :)

I want this:

3F13J73H45N55E95H4d4o4e46d0a3f5c217d5.jpg

That just looks like exactly what I want for the kids and me.

I'm watching a bird on my back fence. He has a red head, a white body and a black neck. I loaded those three descriptions into Bing! Browser, and found the right bird in "images, went to the website, and they said it was a Red-headed Woodpecker. There are 213 species, and he's one of the most beautiful creatures I've seen, and so flit-flitting around from one level of boards to the other on the wood fence, just above --- ripening blackberries! I wondered who was eating them all! :lmao:

Now I know.
woodpecker-red-headed-1968.jpg

Source: Woodpecker - The Canadian Encyclopedia

Goodness, I typed a whole post, did research, and he's still guarding the blackberries. Aha, saw him go grab something. Not sure if it was a berry or a stinkbug. He's most interested, however.

Another thing I saw a few minutes ago was the great blue heron who wades in our lake. He flew to a nearby tree and landed on a large dead branch. Thought it was odd, so I loaded "great blue heron in tree." Sure enough, most of the herons pictured online are in lower branches (though not all) and many were photographed on large dead branches, for some reason not known to me.

heron-bird-in-tree.jpg

Thanks to "publicdomainpicturesdotnet".​

And the resident mockingbird is going bananas. I lost count after 36 different calls, and he's still peeling off a litany. What a chatterbox! :D

Last edited:
That's good, though.
Thanks, koshergrl.
Well, they both called and sent flowers. My son knows I love Bells Ireland and orchids, and my daughter knows I like orange and hot pink roses and green chrysanthemums. They didn't have to go to all that trouble, but they did. :redface:

Do you not use your front door? LOL! That is too funny.

I'm beginning to get an image of you, with the bats and the spiders and the birds and kitties and all....

I hope you don't have birds nesting in your hair, too....

hobbita_radagast.jpg

Radagast is very cool.

I've been watching a hole grow in a large dead pine up at the east end of my property. I finally got a good look while I had binoculars with me.
He's a Northern Flicker, known down South as a yellowhammer. The yellowhammer is the state bird of Alabama.

Flicker-in-flight1.jpg

He's pretty good sized. The books say 11 to 14" long or crow size. I've seen the Pileated Woodpecker again this spring HE is HUGE. About half again as big as the yellowhammer.

800px-PileatedWoodpeckerFeedingonTree.jpg

Last edited:
Do you not use your front door? LOL! That is too funny.

I'm beginning to get an image of you, with the bats and the spiders and the birds and kitties and all....

I hope you don't have birds nesting in your hair, too....

hobbita_radagast.jpg

Radagast is very cool.

actually we don't uses the front door. we come in through the basement which has a door that opens to the driveway. so the front door gets opened maybe 5 times a year. but strangely enough, we got new furniture. so last sunday we had a sectional with a queen bed and 3 recliners taken out the front door and Tuesday the new furniture was delivered, through the front door. the mother was not happy

Forum List

Back