Wildlife: Likes, and dislikes.

Muhammed

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 20, 2010
North Coast, USA
This is meant to be a fun thread to bitch about, or tell us the virtues of, various non-human critters that you regularly encounter in your day to day life.

Right now there is a cricket in my basement that won't shut up.

I live in the country so i see a lot of snakes, bobcats and hear a bunch of coyotes.
Some people down the road from me has a huge fury family. A wolf, kangaroo, peacocks, porcupines, llamas, buffalo, some small breed of deer etc. I see all that every time i drive past their house.

I almost stepped on a timber rattler trying to find wood at land between the lakes. He was nice until i touched his rattle. Then he coiled up ready to strike, so i walked away lol

I almost stepped on a timber rattler trying to find wood at land between the lakes. He was nice until i touched his rattle. Then he coiled up ready to strike, so i walked away lol
That's the kind of shit I hate about the south. I 'm a career cement mason. Up here in Ohio you can just start digging and moving the earth anywhere you want. There is no chance you are going to get bit by some venomous snake or spider or any other freaky critters.

I got attacked by a snake in Tennesee.. And Ants Even the ants are conspiring against you. Like the fire ants in Texas.

We have snakes and ants up here in NW Ohio, but they are not venomous or aggressive towards humans or typical pets like cats or dogs.. In NW Ohio and SE Michigan our ants and snakes are very harmless and friendly.

Last edited:
This is meant to be a fun thread to bitch about, or tell us the virtues of, various non-human critters that you regularly encounter in your day to day life.

Yeah, I have two squirrels that absolutely won't SHUT UP! Little bastards!

The ubiquitous squirrels in my neck of the woods don't really make much noise.

My biggest complaint about them is when I'm pouring concrete and those little fuckers bombard your slab with wallnuts.

My biggest complaint about them is when I'm pouring concrete and those little fuckers bombard your slab with wallnuts.
Squirrel pie with walnut dressing! Yum! Yum!
Squirrelpie.jpg

We have a flock of wild turkeys that have taken a liking to our front yard so they visit it then peck, scratch and crap all over it almost every evening.

Squirrel pie with walnut dressing! Yum! Yum!
View attachment 398352
quirrles.
And another weird factoid about squirrels. I have a 30 foot tall flag pole in my yard. And they filled that pipe all the way to the top with acorns.

That's a lot of acorns.

WTF? Why? :dunno:

Last edited:

We have a flock of wild turkeys that have taken a liking to our front yard so they visit it then peck, scratch and crap all over it almost every evening.
Are you going to pardon them next month?

I have a black snake hanging around for the last couple of years that has to go around six feet long. My dog is afraid of it and I can tell by the hysterical barking when she spots it in the grass. I doubt if it can eat a chicken but I once came across it in the nest in the process of swallowing a chicken egg looking for all the world like a cobra with the swelled neck. Black snakes are good climbers and I expect that it polishes off a good number of barn swallow fledglings but they also eat other snakes and rodents so we have a mutual understanding.

Damn gophers. Come home and there will be a line of mounds in the yard totaling several wheelbarrows of dirt. I have trapped many.
The damn small Downey Woodpeckers tearing up the corner of my house. Hard to get the jittery buggers with the pellet gun.

Lot of Turkeys, Sandhill Cranes, Bald Eagles, Hawks, Coyotes and Deer, Black Bear, in the area. North of Twin Cities. Edge of the north woods.
Even an occasional Cougar is spotted.

I came home one day about three years ago and found four full size deer in my front yard and one baby deer was with them. Before I could take a picture of them, they scattered. Sadly even if I had gotten the picture, I doubt that it would've been that good because of how dark it had already become outside.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Within the last year, I was leaving for work one morning, and I saw about two or three more standing in the road in front of my house. Sadly it was still completely dark outside at the time and so any picture taken would've only been worse then.

A screech owl ran into the windshield of the car while my wife was driving one night. She picked up the stunned creature and brought it home. It regained consciousness in the car and perched on the steering wheel for the ride home. We kept it in a box for a day or two and released it in a hole in a tree nearby. It hopped in as if it was home.

Forum List

Back