Windows Recall Not Optional

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Windows Recall is a built in app that takes "pictures" of everything you do on your computer every five seconds......... When first announced Microsoft seemed to pull it but now it's been re-instituted. Supposedly they added encryption and local storage on each individual computer, they claim this is all for "our benefit". Someone found a shut off selection that supposedly actually uninstalled it and guess what........ Microsoft claimed it was a "bug" and that "bug" is being removed. Independent hack testers have already stated this is a major dumpster fire, a security nightmare.
I'm lucky in that on my Windows gamer I was actually able to set up a local account so none of the Microsoft telemetry shenanigans have affected me. As of yet that is, I don't trust Microsoft to somehow disable my local account sometime in the near future with an upgrade. And some people wonder why I use Linux as my primary daily machine..........

Windows Recall sounds like a privacy nightmare – here's why I'm worried

Windows Recall is a built in app that takes "pictures" of everything you do on your computer every five seconds......... When first announced Microsoft seemed to pull it but now it's been re-instituted. Supposedly they added encryption and local storage on each individual computer, they claim this is all for "our benefit". Someone found a shut off selection that supposedly actually uninstalled it and guess what........ Microsoft claimed it was a "bug" and that "bug" is being removed. Independent hack testers have already stated this is a major dumpster fire, a security nightmare.
I'm lucky in that on my Windows gamer I was actually able to set up a local account so none of the Microsoft telemetry shenanigans have affected me. As of yet that is, I don't trust Microsoft to somehow disable my local account sometime in the near future with an upgrade. And some people wonder why I use Linux as my primary daily machine..........

Is it also on any update of Windows 10. Also, how much longer do you think I can continue to use Windows 10.

Also, how much longer do you think I can continue to use Windows 10.
Official Microsoft support for Win10 ends Oct 14, 2025.

It will still be "safe" for a while after that.

I figure by that time, someone will have figured out an easy way to sneak Win11 on to older machines that don't officially support Win11. There are ways to do it already, but they're not easy.

I don't get why or how they would use such information, but then I'm computer illiterate, beyond the basics.

I don't get why or how they would use such information, but then I'm computer illiterate, beyond the basics.
Millions of people pay their bills online, bank and shop online. Recall will copy all of your keystrokes, accounts, passwords, banking information, etc............ Might as well just post all of that on the open web for all to see and use if your computer and encryption files are hacked.

Forum List

Back