With Market Rates Unaffordable, Oakland Turns To Building Teacher-Only Affordable Housing

Firing a teacher means the teacher also loses his or her housing. That's gonna work out real good.

There is a new comedy coming out can't remember the name but I caught a preview. A teacher talking to another said, " I have tenure I could kill a kid and not get fired. "

That's because it is a joke that anyone would believe that.

I hate to break it to you but 210 feet square is the same as 210 square feet. Didn't you pay attention in school? As for "getting a fucking life already", math is my life!

"Feet squared" means an area of X by X. Thus, 210 feet squared is an areas 210 feet by 210 feet, or 44100 square feet.

That is simply wrong. You receive a grade of "F" on this assignment.

Of course the automatic answer is "Let's increase teacher pay". So who is going to pay for that? More taxes? The public doesn't want higher taxes.

Oh, just stop right there. Morons like you who think they are conservative, when they're really just idiots, make me sick. If you believe in free markets, then a shortage in any job (including teachers) indicates that pay is below market value. Period. So free market economics dictates that teacher compensation must increase.

That being said, this housing project is a very bad idea. All it is going to do is create artificial pressure in the natural housing market (just like every other example of government trying to get into markets) and lead to greater long term damage, increasing upward price pressure in the overall market. Teachers will get "affordable" housing. Meanwhile, lower income people will get displaced within the market and either be forced to seek even more expensive options that are out of their range or to settle for slum end options because they can't afford anything else.

How will they be displaced if this is a new development?

Check your math.

An acre is 43,560 square feet.

You are just a little off.

I said "about" 210 square, which to be exact is 44,100 square feet, a whopping 1.2% off, to be exact again an acre would be 208.71 feet square, get a fucking life already.

I hate to break it to you but 210 feet square is the same as 210 square feet. Didn't you pay attention in school? As for "getting a fucking life already", math is my life!

All I can say is you must have a really shitty life. Try drawing a square box that is 210' and tell me how many square feet are in it. Do I need to define square for you?

square
[skwer]

NOUN
  1. a plane figure with four equal straight sides and four right angles.
  2. the product of a number multiplied by itself:
    "a circle's area is proportional to the square of its radius"
  3. an L-shaped or T-shaped instrument used for obtaining or testing right angles:
    "a carpenter's square"
  4. informal
    a person considered to be old-fashioned or boringly conventional in attitude or behavior.
If you have any more questions ask your geometry teacher.

OK, now class, listen carefully! A square is a geometric shape, a plane figure with four equal sides and four right angles.

An acre is a measure of area measured in square units, like all other measures of area.

Acres are not square! They can be any dimensions you wish as long as the product results in 43,560 square feet.

I teach in a country school where if i said something akin to what you just posted, my agriculture students would laugh me right out of the school.

Considering I was once a land surveyor I know that, the example I used was so the folks on this board could picture in their minds how small an area the size of an acre is when it comes to building housing. The average lot size in the US is about 8,700 square feet, meaning you can only get about 4 average houses per acre. You can get more in a high rise building but even that is limited by available parking.

Also if your students don't know the difference between 210 feet square and 210 square feet, you're not doing your job.

I am truly sorry, but you should have been fired for incompetence if that is the case. Perhaps you need to retake Pre-Algebra.

They are going to use the same strategy against housing as they did for healthcare. They make it unaffordable and then use that as an excuse for the government to take over the industry.

I said "about" 210 square, which to be exact is 44,100 square feet, a whopping 1.2% off, to be exact again an acre would be 208.71 feet square, get a fucking life already.

All I can say is you must have a really shitty life. Try drawing a square box that is 210' and tell me how many square feet are in it. Do I need to define square for you?

square
[skwer]

NOUN
  3. an L-shaped or T-shaped instrument used for obtaining or testing right angles:
    "a carpenter's square"
  4. informal
    a person considered to be old-fashioned or boringly conventional in attitude or behavior.

OK, now class, listen carefully! A square is a geometric shape, a plane figure with four equal sides and four right angles.

An acre is a measure of area measured in square units, like all other measures of area.

Acres are not square! They can be any dimensions you wish as long as the product results in 43,560 square feet.

I teach in a country school where if i said something akin to what you just posted, my agriculture students would laugh me right out of the school.

Considering I was once a land surveyor I know that, the example I used was so the folks on this board could picture in their minds how small an area the size of an acre is when it comes to building housing. The average lot size in the US is about 8,700 square feet, meaning you can only get about 4 average houses per acre. You can get more in a high rise building but even that is limited by available parking.

Also if your students don't know the difference between 210 feet square and 210 square feet, you're not doing your job.

I am truly sorry, but you should have been fired for incompetence if that is the case. Perhaps you need to retake Pre-Algebra.

Of all the supposed geniuses on the board you are the only one questioning my terms, hummmmmm, I wonder why?

square
[skwer]

NOUN
    "a carpenter's square"
  4. informal

Of all the supposed geniuses on the board you are the only one questioning my terms, hummmmmm, I wonder why?

Maybe the rest slept through Pre-Algebra like you did?

Shut all the schools there down and have all the kids work for$12 per hour. A low educated low paid workforce. GOP dream.

Firing a teacher means the teacher also loses his or her housing. That's gonna work out real good.

There is a new comedy coming out can't remember the name but I caught a preview. A teacher talking to another said, " I have tenure I could kill a kid and not get fired. "

That may be a joke buts it's not that far of the mark its almost impossible to fire a teacher that has tenure

That may be a joke buts it's not that far of the mark its almost impossible to fire a teacher that has tenure

Yes it is. Tenure does not protect teachers who are guilty of misconduct. It only requires due process to be terminated.

I have been a teacher 19 years. My boss can send me an e-mail right now telling me that I don't need to come back on January 4th. Any idea what my recourse is? Not a damn thing. I don't have tenure.

If I did have tenure, he would have to show proof of why I am being fired and submit my termination to a board appointed by the superintendent to determine if termination is warranted.

There is no magic shield provided by tenure that keeps you from getting fired. It just means they can't do it because they stubbed their toe that morning on the way to the bathroom, their wife wouldn't give them any loving, and the dog shit on the carpet again.

All it takes is one whiny parent and without tenure the teacher could be let go only because they are disliked by one person or set of parents. Tenured teachers where I live can be fired. With tenure they get a process at least.

"Feet squared" means an area of X by X. Thus, 210 feet squared is an areas 210 feet by 210 feet, or 44100 square feet.

:lol: No, you receive an F for being 12 years old and thinking you are 50. "Feet square" is terminology that has largely fallen out of use nowadays. It is a plain English method of describing an area, as opposed to a mathematical method. Where as mathematics would describe an area in terms of a particular unit of area (such as square inches, square feet, square miles, etc) the terminology "feet square" is describes an area in plain English, in terms of it's boundaries. Thus "ten feet squared" refers to an area measuring ten feet by ten feet. As is consistent with English grammatical rules the term "square" is an adjective which modifies "10 feet." The resulting meaning of the phrase thus denotes a measurement of ten feet, which is subsequently squared, i.e. an area 10 by 10.

The square foot is a mathematical unit of measurement. The foot square is a plain language description.

:lol: No, you receive an F for being 12 years old and thinking you are 50. "Feet square" is terminology that has largely fallen out of use nowadays. It is a plain English method of describing an area, as opposed to a mathematical method. Where as mathematics would describe an area in terms of a particular unit of area (such as square inches, square feet, square miles, etc) the terminology "feet square" is describes an area in plain English, in terms of it's boundaries. Thus "ten feet squared" refers to an area measuring ten feet by ten feet. As is consistent with English grammatical rules the term "square" is an adjective which modifies "10 feet." The resulting meaning of the phrase thus denotes a measurement of ten feet, which is subsequently squared, i.e. an area 10 by 10.

The square foot is a mathematical unit of measurement. The foot square is a plain language description.

Sorry. As written it was incorrect. BTW, did you think by copying and repeating it would make it more effective? Stick to swimming. You are using an antiquated definition by your own admission.

Because you're removing a portion of the consumer base from the market. Free markets are predicated on consumers making decisions based on their own balance of willingness and ability to pay. You remove consumers from a free market and provide them with governmentally mandated choice provisions, you create voids in the market's balance, which will result in displacement.

Because you're removing a portion of the consumer base from the market. Free markets are predicated on consumers making decisions based on their own balance of willingness and ability to pay. You remove consumers from a free market and provide them with governmentally mandated choice provisions, you create voids in the market's balance, which will result in displacement.

Do you have some sort of learning disability? You cannot remove someone from the market by building a new development.

Flunked ECON 101 or did you studied under a Communist?

Makes sense for communities with high costs of living. Should apply to police and firefighters too

Makes sense for communities with high costs of living. Should apply to police and firefighters too

In one of my former cities, security in schools and parks was solved by building homes on the school campuses or adjacent to parks and the police officers lived there free of charge in exchange for watching over the areas when they were not on duty.

Sorry. As written it was incorrect. BTW, did you think by copying and repeating it would make it more effective? Stick to swimming. You are using an antiquated definition by your own admission.

:lol:

No, you are being dense and stubborn, and as a result looking like a fool. There can be no "antiquated definition" because as I already explained "feet squared" is not a unit of measurement. It is a phrase of plain English. While the phrase has a meaning it is derived from the grammatical rules of the language, not by definition as would be the case for a lexeme such as "square foot."

Forum List

Back