Woman admits to 167-year-old offence of riding a horse FURIOUSLY thru Surrey country

Jughead

VIP Member
Oct 24, 2013
Hamburger Central
I was aware that we had many unusual laws on the books. However, I was surprised to see one that was actually enforced.:lol:

A 65-year-old woman has been successfully prosecuted for the 167-year-old offence of 'furious horse riding', it has been reported.

In an incident straight from the pages of a Victorian novel, Elizabeth Millard is said to have rode past a woman and her 10-year-old daughter "at great speed, shouting at her horse".

On another occasion she pushed past two fellow riders without stopping or slowing down, GetSurrey reports.

Both incidents happened on Horsell Common in Woking last year.

So incensed were the victims they reported Millard to the police.

She was eventually charged with the 167-year-old offence of 'driving a horse furiously' contrary to the Town Police Clauses Act of 1847.

Elizabeth Millard admits 167-year-old offence of riding a horse FURIOUSLY through Horsell Common in Surrey - Mirror Online

Reminds me of other unusual laws:

Those under 21 can drink legally, but they must be enrolled in a culinary program to do so

It’s unlawful to let a dog pursue a bear or bobcat at any time.

It is against the law to have sex with a corpse in Illinois

Dumb Laws in United States. Crazy United States Laws. We have weird laws, strange laws, and just plain crazy laws!

I used to ride endurance so if I lived in that area I'd be a felon for riding horses "furiously" quite a bit...lol..

Nothing better than a full hand gallop and then just putting on the afterburner. I sometimes used to just drop the reins on their neck & hold onto their mane for dear life. I miss being young.

Sadly, laws against have sex with a corpse are necessary as there are people who will rape dead bodies if given the opportunity.

If the person has already passed away can they be raped? Once a soul has suffled off this mortal coil then surely they no longer exist as a legal entity to give or withhold consent?

I was aware that we had many unusual laws on the books. However, I was surprised to see one that was actually enforced.:lol:

A 65-year-old woman has been successfully prosecuted for the 167-year-old offence of 'furious horse riding', it has been reported.

In an incident straight from the pages of a Victorian novel, Elizabeth Millard is said to have rode past a woman and her 10-year-old daughter "at great speed, shouting at her horse".

On another occasion she pushed past two fellow riders without stopping or slowing down, GetSurrey reports.

Both incidents happened on Horsell Common in Woking last year.

So incensed were the victims they reported Millard to the police.

She was eventually charged with the 167-year-old offence of 'driving a horse furiously' contrary to the Town Police Clauses Act of 1847.

Elizabeth Millard admits 167-year-old offence of riding a horse FURIOUSLY through Horsell Common in Surrey - Mirror Online

Reminds me of other unusual laws:

Those under 21 can drink legally, but they must be enrolled in a culinary program to do so

It’s unlawful to let a dog pursue a bear or bobcat at any time.

It is against the law to have sex with a corpse in Illinois

Dumb Laws in United States. Crazy United States Laws. We have weird laws, strange laws, and just plain crazy laws!

Compared to some of these kinds of old laws, this isn't too bad. Kind of an old version of reckless driving.

Sadly, laws against have sex with a corpse are necessary as there are people who will rape dead bodies if given the opportunity.

If the person has already passed away can they be raped? Once a soul has suffled off this mortal coil then surely they no longer exist as a legal entity to give or withhold consent?

If your loved one has passed, how would you feel about someone messing with their remains?

If your loved one has passed, how would you feel about someone messing with their remains?

Probably not best pleased but that doesn't answer the question. I'm not advocating necrophilia I hasten to add, I'm just querying the use of the word "rape" which in this context seems highly inappropriate. I'd say you can no more rape a corpse than terrify a potato.

Honestly...wouldn't care. They're dead.

Forum List

Back